Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i recently bought a 8th gen accord, and coming from a camry hybrid, i can really feel every single gear shift on the accord.

it is a 2010 exl v6. ive been told that with the extra power, it will sort of lag(?) when i shift gears. and i can feel the car going into the gear(a second or 2 after ive shifted). was told thats normal and i should keep my foot pressed on the brake until it does shift.

i also feel every single gear change(up and down) while driving(which honda told me was also normal). the gear changes are sometimes big thuds, sometimes smoother. but the thing is, im always keeping my RPM under 2k(sometimes 2.5k) but my parents love taking it up to 3k when they drive. I try to take care of my cars, and buy Mobil 1 high performance oil+filters and got OEM plugs for like 150 from honda.

The reason im a little sceptical and not trusting the dealer is that ive owned an 06 ML 350 and after 3-4 years, the tranny in that thing was going out(because it needed a $5k fix... for a very small part which was deep in the engine) and it felt almost like the accord now. It started off with the gear shifts i feel in the accord now, but it got worse and i could feel it pretty much drop on each upshift and downshift.

Just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing this, and if its normal

·
Registered
588 Posts
When car is standing still with brakes depressed how long does it take for transmission to switch gears when you move stick from D to R and from R to D?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
takes around 2 seconds. sometimes longer. i notice the amount of time it takes(not really fast, but not super slow... just slow enough for me to realize ive switched to D and i cant move yet)

·
4,637 Posts
Pull the atf dipstick and report back on what color the fluid is. Hopefully, red or pink and not brown or black. Since the car has 90k miles it's due for several drain/fills if it's never been done. Use the Honda atf and I'd add some Lubeguard to it as well.

·
Freelance Gynecologist
215 Posts
I'll second what's been said above, but also consider that you're comparing two different transmissions. The Camry Hybrid uses a CVT or Continuously Variable Transmission; it doesn't have gears the way your accord does.

Assuming that you knew that, I would go ahead and check up on your ATF.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup i knew that. and im thinking because of it being so smooth, i might be a little paranoid with this car's shifting.

also the fluid is a light red/pinkish color.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord Automatic V6 Coupe
40 Posts
So what was the outcome with your tranny? I just bought the same model and pretty much the same exact thing is happening to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts