Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!
I'm new to the forum and have a lot of questions regarding my Accord. I'm sure there answers to all my questions somewhere on this forum but I can barely navigate it LOL.

I'm interested in upgrading the wheels, what size rim should I get? I was thinking 18" or 19" but what size tire width etc should I get for a nice fitment? I want a lowered look without actually touching the suspension. So I think the wheels would help achieve that.
Also too add to the look, I want to purchase a lip for the front and rear bumpers and side skirts. I found a lip for $100 and side skirts for $150 on eBay but the rear lip costs around $400. Is there a cheaper alternative? Would it look strange with a front lip and skirts but no rear lip?
I recently got pulled over for my tinted tail lights. I hate the red on the lights so I found these. Are they any good?
Honda Accord 08 12 CP2 CP3 DX LX EX SE 4DR LED Black Tail Light Rear Brake Lamp | eBay
I put a spoiler on the trunk and now the trunk doesn't open all the way because of the weight. Where can I purchase new springs or whatever so it opens like it used to? Is it a hard install to do at home?
My car doesn't come with fog lights, how much would it cost to have them installed professionally? Including the switch for the steering wheel.
I want a spoiler/visor for the rear window like this one:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39699&stc=1&d=1316839277
Should I install it before or after getting my windows tinted? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance!

This is what my car looks like right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Jesus Christ that post was hard to read.

Wheels: get whatever you can afford, but make sure that whatever you do get is road worthy. JWL, TUV, etc certified.

Tires: get whatever will keep the stock tire diameter. If you do this, your speedometer will remain correct.

Suspension: you will not achieve a lowered look by up sizing your wheels. The opposite will happen. If you want to lower your car, lower it. Expect crap if you pay next to nothing on suspension. Expect crap if you pay less than $1000 on coilovers.

Body kit: keep that junk in the 90s. The Fast and the Furious isn't trending anymore, is it?

Taillights: a good rule of thumb for exterior lighting: it's all illegal and won't conform to DOT/ECE regulations unless it's OEM. These are safety items and by tinting them, you're allowing yourself to be less visible to other people on the road. When you get into an accident because of your tinted taillights, insurance and cops will blame you.

Trunk spring: get a new trunk spring from an Accord that came with a spoiler.

Fog lights: shop installation will be expensive.

Window spoiler: the vibe I'm getting from you is that you don't have a lot of money and this is your first car. Stop trying to modify it if you don't know what you're doing/talking about. Tint is on the inside of the car, spoiler is on the outside of the car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would i have to get wheels that fit the width of the tire? im assuming not all rims are the same width.

a body kit would make the car look lower without having to touch the suspension.

i was concerned more about the installation of the trunk spring.

but how much would the fog installation cost? like rough estimate?

this is my first car, and i have no idea about modifying it. i choose to modify it and am asking for help. im sure you had to ask for help and learn about modifying too, or were you born with all that knowledge?

and money isn't an issue, those are all of the exterior upgrades im interested in at the moment, im being cheap about the suspension because i heard it lowers the value of the car severely.

·
Registered
409 Posts
1. Tires will accommodate slight amounts of over/under sizing of the wheel widths, but there are definitely recommended widths to keep in mind. Check sites like tirerack.com to see what wheel width is recommended for specific tire sizes. Also search for wheel width, offset, and tire size in the "Wheels, Suspension & Brakes" subforum.

2. No. It'll just make your car look like it's owned by a kid who can't do it right.

3. It's a torsion spring, AFAIK, so it'd be pretty simple, if not a bit dangerous, to pull out and put the new one in. No tools should be necessary, but try giving it a search on the forum.

4. Ask your local speed shops for a quote. Labor costs in Virginia (where I live) will have no bearing on labor costs in CA (where you live). Also, shops can charge whatever they want, so get multiple quotes from multiple shops. Or, you know, search for the DIY install on the "Audio, Electronics & Lighting" subforum.

5. You're asking for people to spoon feed you information that, as you've already admitted, has already been answered before. A bit of leg work on your end would make the forum experience much better for everyone involved.

6.a. If money isn't an issue, take your car to your favorite speed shop and ask them to purchase and install everything you have asked about.

6.b. Modifying your car in any way, shape, or form will lower the value of the vehicle. This is not limited to suspension work. The reason being is that the vast majority of people buying cars are looking for something that is stock and reliable. Aftermarket parts, especially when you're looking for cheap ebay parts, are generally of a lower quality, fit, and finish than OEM.

·
PIMP MY RIDE PLZ
192 Posts
Can you post an untouched pic of your tinted tail lights?

My tail lights are smoked but I've never been pulled over for them before. I've had them for about a year now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you post an untouched pic of your tinted tail lights?

My tail lights are smoked but I've never been pulled over for them before. I've had them for about a year now.
Well I am in California so the tinting lights are super strict. This is the only picture I could find on my phone. They're super dark. Its a cheap vinyl from eBay. This is when I was upgrading to LED's so it would be brighter. The left is the original and the right is the new one. The reds are off in this pic.

Attachments

·
PIMP MY RIDE PLZ
192 Posts
Oh yeah yours are super dark compared to mine. Mine still allows a good amount of light to come thru when braking.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just some advice, don't buy aftermarket tail lights or headlights they make the car look cheap. Same goes for ebay lips, they won't fit right and look horrible. If your getting a lip kit only buy the OEM one. And for suspension just lower it, worse case scenario just keep your stock suspension and put it back to stock when your done.

·
Just Do It
347 Posts
search white boy search, if money wasn't an issue you wouldn't be on ebay!! lol if you wanted a body kit and no drop with bigger wheels you probably should of got a civic! lmao all jokes aside seriously the only thing you should focus on is lowering the vehicle and getting a nice set of wheels. the aftermarket taillights isn't a bad idea considering you cant see any red when yours are on (assuming) im all for mods but your going the wrong direction. Save up and lower it ... or youll look like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL at that civic. Money isn't an issue but why not be smart with it? I have money set aside for my car and I might as well get as much as I can for that money or have more money left over. All the modifications I've made so far, as small as they are can easily be un done and I keep the oem parts in case I do resell. I don't trust myself to touch the suspension of my car and would not want to go through the trouble of reinstalling the original suspension. Wheels are definitely at the top of my list but even then I'm confused. Like what if the wheel's too wide, I don't want to extend my fenderdon't because that's another thing that can't be undone. I'm planning to go to a shop next week to see different sizes and get help there aswell.

·
Just Do It
347 Posts
true, regardless if your interested in resell value you should never mod, for ex. I bought a new set of wheels for 2.5k cant even find a buyer for 1k which is more than reasonable imo. but it will sell eventually, my advice never buy new wheels. buy used and in good condition. wheels you can go as wide as you want since you don't plan on lowering your vehicle, recommend for our cars is 8.5 in the front 10 in the rear all depends on the look you want find something you like and post a picture of it so we can help on wt it is you like, but it will have a 4x4 look guaranteed. I too didn't feel confident in messing w suspension so I took it too a shop and paid the "professionals".

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
true, regardless if your interested in resell value you should never mod, for ex. I bought a new set of wheels for 2.5k cant even find a buyer for 1k which is more than reasonable imo. but it will sell eventually, my advice never buy new wheels. buy used and in good condition. wheels you can go as wide as you want since you don't plan on lowering your vehicle, recommend for our cars is 8.5 in the front 10 in the rear all depends on the look you want find something you like and post a picture of it so we can help on wt it is you like, but it will have a 4x4 look guaranteed. I too didn't feel confident in messing w suspension so I took it too a shop and paid the "professionals".
Yeah, I've been checking craigslist recently, but there aren't as many wheels out there as I thought lol. I can only find like 3 sets max. I saw someone with 19" BMW rims for $400 with some tread left but I didn't buy them because I wasn't sure about fitment. And lets say I do want to lower my car, then what width would I want? Is anything bigger than the oem width too wide? Should I look for wheels with the the same or thinner width than the original wheels and use spacers if I have to?

·
Just Do It
347 Posts
when lowering your wheels offsets and width would then depend on how "low" you are 1-2 inch? 2.5-3 inches? course not im maxxed on tein coils which is about 2.5 inch in im correct, on 19x9.5 F, 19x10.5R+29. oem least on mine was 17x8+40ish all around. also I believe bmw has a different bolt pattern ours is 5x114.3 which is most common.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when lowering your wheels offsets and width would then depend on how "low" you are 1-2 inch? 2.5-3 inches? course not im maxxed on tein coils which is about 2.5 inch in im correct, on 19x9.5 F, 19x10.5R+29. oem least on mine was 17x8+40ish all around. also I believe bmw has a different bolt pattern ours is 5x114.3 which is most common.
lol mine are 16" steelies. I have no idea how low I want to go, but I guess I'll get my car lowered and then get the wheels? I was planning to do it the other way around.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you guys know if these are any good? Worth it?

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you're going to cheap out on suspension, you're going to have a bad time.

At the very least, look into Fortune Auto coilovers. Then, when they fail, you can send them to their shop in Richmond, VA for overhaul instead of Taiwan.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
could you recommend a good set? those were cheap because they're used. i found another post where they said the tein street basis and advance had great ride quality and craftsmanship. seems like a steal for $590 retail. I know cheap ones are supposed to be crap but these dont seem to be bad at all.

and also, is an install really this easy? I thought itd be a huge pain cause im unexperienced but this guy makes it look like a piece of cake lmao. i know these aren't coil overs but it would be the same right?

·
PIMP MY RIDE PLZ
192 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts