Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to reduce the road noise in my '09 Accord particularly at highway speeds. I have replaced the tires with Bridgestone Serenity Plus II tires which are supposed to be the most quiet on TireRack but at 55+ mph, the noise is still too much especially when you are trying to talk on the phone with Bluetooth. (Yes, I have Parrot Bluetooth which is supposed to be one of the best with background noise cancellation too). The noise is low if you are on new asphalt but if it is older asphault or concrete, it is too noisy. I've measured it at 84db which personally I think is too high. Anyway, I don't want to rip the car apart, tear up the carpet, dismantle the doors, etc. which is far more money and time that I have. Has anyone had success with exterior wheel well sound deadening? I'm thinking of the rubberized coating or perhaps the Second Skin Spectrum Sludge on the wheel wells or maybe even both! Perhaps it would be even better if I could get a layer of foam behind the plastic wheel well cover around the tires and then coat the tire-facing side with sludge to help reduce road noise. Any tips on removing the plastic wheel well on the Accord? Anyone tried this and had favorable results? If the noise is coming from the tire area, I think this should be the focus area, correct?

·
Registered
12 Posts
You'd be surprised at how well sound deadening just the door panels works. I know you said you didn't want to tear anything apart but I would think you'd want to focus more on the actual interior panels and doors. When I deadened my 09 coupe with Raamat, the exterior sound removal literally transformed from decent to the quality of a higher end car. I could be traveling at 85 mph and barely any road noise occurred. Doing the door panel is some work but its worth it in the long run. All you have to do is remove a couple of screws, pop the plastic panels out gently and unhook any wiring harnesses. Maybe someone else has done the wheel well deadening but I would focus on your interior cabin passage of noise IMHO. Hope this helps. There are many stickies in this forum that have easy and picture explanations on removal and placement of deadening in key areas of the vehicles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am with you there brother, I spend quite a bit of money doing this to my accord at best buy, i got 2 layers of dynamat in the doors it did make a difference but...it was not what i expected, granted i had 18' wheels and low profile tires and my car is lowered..its still too loud..i just got a quote yesterday for the headliner and the entire floor of the car. I'll ask my guy at best buy if he knows a way to do the area around the wheels cuz that wud be great...good luck and let me know if u find out

·
Registered
469 Posts
Are you guys deaden the plastic panels or the metal of the doors?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yea I was trying to figure out how to make my door slam sounds more dampening/heavy. When I close my drivers door it just sounds cheap/hallow compared to the other 3 doors. Hopefully this will save it lol. Last suummer I spent some time dampening some parts of car because of my sub causing vibration. After the back deck was dampened and trunk. Car is flawless. Turn up my music during driving. Road noise is practically zero lol

·
Banned
52 Posts
I used FatMat and A Layer of MLV on every door, along with 3M WeatherTape and foil cutouts as seen in the DIY here on DA.

Try DIYMA they got a lot of DIY for OUR CARS for deadening

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have extra MLV sitting in my garage if you'd like (from second skin: luxury liner pro). I used Stinger Roadkill on all 4 doors (i have a sedan) and it considerably lessened the noise. I'm running on Continental DWS right now as well. Barely hear road noise on the freeway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Room for sound deadening / soundproofing on Accord door panels?

Is there room for a decent layer of foam behind the door panels on the interior? If so, what size thickness have you done? I may take a stab at removing the panels but I would think that A)It would mess up the vapor barrier which is there for a purpose - to block moisture and B)One would have great difficulty putting the interior door panel back on with the added thickness on the door from the foam.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Is there room for a decent layer of foam behind the door panels on the interior? If so, what size thickness have you done? I may take a stab at removing the panels but I would think that A)It would mess up the vapor barrier which is there for a purpose - to block moisture and B)One would have great difficulty putting the interior door panel back on with the added thickness on the door from the foam.
There's not that much room on the interior plastic but I put the mlv layer on top of the deadener on top of the sheet metal of the door and near the bottom of the door pocket once the vapor barrier was removed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There's not that much room on the interior plastic but I put the mlv layer on top of the deadener on top of the sheet metal of the door and near the bottom of the door pocket once the vapor barrier was removed.

I'm just beginning to add sound dampening to my doors. finished up my right back passenger door yesterday. added a 6mm foil backed layer of frost king foam, which I've heard is like dynamat. I was a little Leary of adding foam between the metal outer panel and the vapor barrier, I was worried water might get into the foam. for added protection I sealed the top seam of the foam with this polyurathane roof sealant that I use for other things in my car to seal it up. I also have 1" thick sound dampening foam for between the vapor barrier and the inner door panel. that will go on the drivers door.

I'm wondering the same thing about the tire wells and underbody. if there's some rubber/PVC sealant I can add to it...

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm just beginning to add sound dampening to my doors. finished up my right back passenger door yesterday. added a 6mm foil backed layer of frost king foam, which I've heard is like dynamat. I was a little Leary of adding foam between the metal outer panel and the vapor barrier, I was worried water might get into the foam. for added protection I sealed the top seam of the foam with this polyurathane roof sealant that I use for other things in my car to seal it up. I also have 1" thick sound dampening foam for between the vapor barrier and the inner door panel. that will go on the drivers door.

I'm wondering the same thing about the tire wells and underbody. if there's some rubber/PVC sealant I can add to it...
spectrum sludge or one with similar properties will work for the underbody and wheel wells. You'll notice that on the underbody, there are already some areas that have that applied.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an FYI for anyone considering rubberized coating for the wheel wells. I used several cans of 3M professional grade undercoating and did two coats on each well. It barely did a thing. It lowered it one decibel if that!! Want to do the doors as soon as I find a DIY with pics and buy materials...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Guys. I have this 8th gen sedan and its awful noisy inside. I am running cheap tires though but still the ride is very noisy

Want to get rid of all the noises? Sell the Honda

·
Registered
40 Posts
Seriously

Honda lacks any deadening on Gen 8 and unfortunately its the same story on Gen 9 too
You can see lot of posts in Gen 9 regarding efforts made by people to dampen and sound proof their car.

I have started dampening my car doors with

1)
https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Insulation-Self-adhesive-Deadening-Automotive/dp/B00URV8MFC/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6T7QQDJGCX0WR7XJAX69

2)
4 ft. x 8 ft. Acoustical Barrier-DB348X96BX - The Home Depot

3)
KnuKonceptz Kno Knoise Kolossus Sound Deadener 100Mil Thick 14sq ft Door Kit

Also planning to get the entire floor dampened with Kno knoise and add Nicor insulation and lay over MLV on it.

I plan to do the trunk by myself.

Only then you can expect some relief.

dont want to spend for buying a new car when you can get all this done under 1K with installation labor included.

Attachments

·
8th Gen Believer
4,099 Posts
this is a good site with lots of info http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Yes indeed. It is expensive and you will have to take the car apart. I rode in an 8th gen that had this guy's materials professionally installed. Amazing, totally. Anything you put on your car to deaden the sound will be helpful but you will be disappointed.

·
2010 2.4EX
150 Posts
I have replaced the tires with Bridgestone Serenity Plus II tires which are supposed
to be the most quiet on TireRack but at 55+ mph, the noise is still too much
especially when you are trying to talk on the phone with Bluetooth.
What trim level is your Accord?

Depnding on that answer, your cold(early morning, not yet driven) tire pressures should be no higher than 30(LX) to 32(EX, EX-L).

My Pirelli Cinturato P7s, while not rated the quietest tires out there, are quite acceptable noise-wise at or just above the 32psi recommended for my 2010EX

1 - 20 of 22 Posts