Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
ANC disable 2011 Coupe EX-L premium audio

Thanks for the info!
Followed StephenC's instructions and it worked for me. :)

2011 Accord Coupe 2.4L EX-L no navi

*the -tone- from the sub (step 5) was pretty loud, btw

·
Driver
115 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Followed StephenC's instructions and it worked for me. :)

2011 Accord Coupe 2.4L EX-L no navi

*the -tone- from the sub (step 5) was pretty loud, btw
is it permanently off ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
is it permanently off ??
From what I have read it only disables the system temporarily until the key is cycled again and it not a permanent fix. Can anyone else confirm this? I also read that ANC is disabled anytime a door is opened, which may prove useful in testing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
anyone to confirm if this is a permanent solution?? I have an 8th gen accord with free hands and I would like to keep it working =D

Thanks!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
anyone to confirm if this is a permanent solution?? I have an 8th gen accord with free hands and I would like to keep it working =D

Thanks!!
No, it is not permanent for 8th or 9th gens. Once you turn off your key, wash rinse repeat. Or, unplug the ANC harness from behind the radio to make permanent...

Reactions: The_K_Man

·
Registered
41 Posts
HOW TO: completely disable ANC

Forgive me if this has been posted already,

This is something I discovered after installing an amplifier and component speakers in my front doors. I would notice that at low engine RPM's my speakers would make a "wahhh" sound and I could feel the speakers pulsing. I thought it had something to do with my amp until out of curiosity I performed the ANC diagnostic test which temporarily disables the ANC after the test is performed. I should mention at this point that I disconnected the ANC microphones a long time ago. After performing the test I noticed that the "wahh" and speaker pulsing would disappear until I restarted the engine. Luckily I have a copy of the service manual which revealed:

This led me to conclude that even with the ANC mics disconnected, the audio system will still produced sound cancelling noise based on engine speed

I decided to disconnect the connector responsible for sending ANC microphone and engine speed signals to the factory radio which ended up fixing my problem.

Here's the factory radio removal tutorial.

Now I can enjoy my stereo system noise free! Hope this helps people trying to install aftermarket audio equipment while keeping the factory radio.

Note: I have the 6-cd non-premium audio system without navigation but the connector seems to be the same one on all systems. Also an alternative way of disabling ANC is by tricking it into thinking that one of the doors is open all of the time but I haven't figured out which wire you have to disconnect to do this. Disconnecting the ANC connector is easy enough anyways.

·
Old guy
306 Posts
I haven't done it yet,but there are 2 mics in the car,the rear can be unplugged..
The front is different...im going to pull the mic up by the map lights and cut the white wire...
Cuts the anc mic and keeps the hands free.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't done it yet,but there are 2 mics in the car,the rear can be unplugged..
The front is different...im going to pull the mic up by the map lights and cut the white wire...
Cuts the anc mic and keeps the hands free.
Yes, unplugging the connector I showed will disconnect both microphones and disable ANC while retaining HFL.

·
Old guy
306 Posts
So all you did was pull that connector out?

·
2010 2.4EX
720 Posts
Disabling Active Noise Cancellation(ANC) in 8 Gen(2010) Accord

Greetings, just registered today!

Been prowling around the internet regarding the above topic, and there is a lot of information out there about doing the above: relieving my Accord's stereo and speakers of the burden of cancelling out certain range of engine noise.

Mine is a 2010 EX, regular 4cylinder, 6-CD without navigation or compass.

I have already followed the steps outlined in the 2008-2010 Accord Service Manual, including page 2,483 (section # 23-61)

However, when I later do the combination of radio presets 1 & 6 + Power to enter diagonistic mode, to check if still Off, an "ON" always appears there! I was careful to make sure the engine was on and revving approx. 2500RPM for that final 21st and 22nd steps. Grrrr! Honda, I bought your car to avoid 'weird' things!

Please advise if there is a step I am missing to permanently shut off ANC(Active Noise Cancellation), and help walk me through it. The amount of upper-mid bass coming through my system is fatiguing, and I know that it is the ANC applying reverse polarity tone in that region(150-200Hz) to my speakers. I want just program coming through the system, not complementary engine sounds!

There are at least a dozen hack solutions out there, cutting these or those wires, disconnecting the front & rear ANC microphones, etc, but I want to avoid any surgery if at all possible, to achieve what I - and I'm sure many others - have in mind.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Here is that page I referenced. Scroll down to "11th" step. Once I'm displaying 'OFF', how can I make sure it stays off until I ever need it(unlikely)?...

Text Font Line Parallel Illustration

Thanks for moving! I don't have the slightest of how I mis-posted it, smh

Hello!

This is my first post here, so figured I'd make it something useful. I was installing an amp/sub in my 2008 EX-L V6 and I read numerous threads about disconnecting the mics and all that other stuff, but when doing a Google search of ANC I came across this video. Figured that since this worked in an Acura I gave it a try, and it worked! The stock system is SOOOO much cleaner now as well.

I haven't seen any other posts regarding this solution, so here you go- (EDIT- one note, the Accord doesn't stay "ANC", it has the code 6P11 or something like that, but it is the same)

This is exactly what I posted about here: Disabling Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) in 8 Gen (2010) Accord

It does not stay off however, in either of our cases. Unfortunately the only way to permanently disable Active Noise Cancellation(ANC) is via some physical method - cutting certain wires related to the ANC, or unplugging it completely from the radio.

The only issue with the latter is that in the 8th gen(08-12) Accords, at least, one needs to tear apart their center console and a good portion of the dash to get the radio out and get at the ANC connections on the back of it.

Some have also figured out which wires(related the ANC) to cut, but then some grounds need to be reestablished in order to preserve other interior functions those minus wires are common to!

In my thread I also posted a screeshot of the actual service manual page covering ANC diagnosis. The 11th step supposedly allows one to toggle it on and off, but ONLY while in Diagnostic mode. It stays off only until you remove the key, then reinsert the key to start your car for your next drive. Then it comes back on.

As I said in my own thread, I'm tired of the fatiguing frequency response hump between 150-200Hz caused by ANC!

Honda, WHY did you do this to us?!

Forgive me if this has been posted already,

This is something I discovered after installing an amplifier and component speakers in my front doors. I would notice that at low engine RPM's my speakers would make a "wahhh" sound and I could feel the speakers pulsing. I thought it had something to do with my amp until out of curiosity I performed the ANC diagnostic test which temporarily disables the ANC after the test is performed. I should mention at this point that I disconnected the ANC microphones a long time ago. After performing the test I noticed that the "wahh" and speaker pulsing would disappear until I restarted the engine. Luckily I have a copy of the service manual which revealed:

This led me to conclude that even with the ANC mics disconnected, the audio system will still produced sound cancelling noise based on engine speed

I decided to disconnect the connector responsible for sending ANC microphone and engine speed signals to the factory radio which ended up fixing my problem.

Here's the factory radio removal tutorial.

Now I can enjoy my stereo system noise free! Hope this helps people trying to install aftermarket audio equipment while keeping the factory radio.

Note: I have the 6-cd non-premium audio system without navigation but the connector seems to be the same one on all systems. Also an alternative way of disabling ANC is by tricking it into thinking that one of the doors is open all of the time but I haven't figured out which wire you have to disconnect to do this. Disconnecting the ANC connector is easy enough anyways.
buuuut: disconnecting that connector 'C' looks like it also disable the input for the SVC(speed ssensitive volume) user control item.

I would say look for fuse for ANC and just unplug that!

·
2010 2.4EX
720 Posts
PLEASE HELP! Re: Active Noise Cancellation(ANC) on 2008-12 Accords

I don't mean to start another thread about this subject, but since my searches of both these forums and the internet at large have been fruitless:

Please, just tell me where the ANC module is located on 8th Gen. (2008-12) Accords that have it. Watching videos and looking at diagrams for 2013 & later 9th Gen. Accords does not help me.

Above the radio head unit?

Below the radio?

To one side or the other?

Behind
it?

I know what the ANC unit looks like - I just want to unplug it and be done with it. I can figure out how to get at it once I have the answer.

Thanks a BILLION in advance!

·
Registered
2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan - S-VCM
11 Posts
After some serious online research, I have found the following:

1. What is being referred to Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is "actually" called an ACM Unit by Honda (see link below).

2. This ACM unit appears to be independent from the radio unit, based on the images of the ACM units for sale online (again, see link below).

2009 Honda Accord Acm Unit Active Noise Control 38700-TA0-A01

For those who want to know "what" this unit looks like, the images should help identify it when searching to unplug it.

·
2010 2.4EX
720 Posts
After some serious online research, I have found the following:

1. What is being referred to Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is
"actually" called an ACM Unit by Honda (see link below).

2. This ACM unit appears to be independent from the radio unit,
based on the images of the ACM units for sale online (again, see
link below).

2009 Honda Accord Acm Unit Active Noise Control 38700-TA0-A01

For those who want to know "what" this unit looks like, the images
should help identify it when searching to unplug it.
I have the 2008-10 Honda Accd Service Manual downloaded, and nowhere within it is this module mentioned or illustrated.

I'm sure it is in my 2010 EX somewhere, but I certainly did not notice it when I slid the combined audio/climate/bezel assembly(almost the size of a regulation basketball) out from my dashboard. I simply disconnected, from the back of the audio unit, that harness which corresponds to the ANC system, according to the diagrams & illustrations in that chapter.

No adverse effects, and I could notice the VSS(Volume speed-sensing) menu option actually working! It raises the volume of the system noticeably around 50-60mph(80-95kmh). Just enough so, in situations where my driving speed varied up and down more than 20mph, that I could concentrate on driving and not have to adjust the volume myself.

I had always assumed that on the Gen8(2008-12) Accords, the ANC processor itself was integrated into the audio decks on trim levels that had it, and on Gen9(2013-17), it resided on an external component/module, similar to what you picture above.

At least now, when i hear a steady 100-150Hz rumble, I know where it's coming from - typically that big thing underneath the hood of my car! ;)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts