Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 i4 accord coupe with 170k miles. Had a few check engine lights (misfire) and limp mode kick in. After a leak down test it was determined I have a bad exhaust valve on cylinder 1. Mechanic said it would be cheaper to replace engine. Now I have been presented with an option to buy the newer k24z7 with way lower miles and only $60 more. Before I pull the trigger i wanted to see if there was anyone that has done this before and if there is any compatibility or mounting issues. Have been searching the forums and have not found anything regarding a k24z3 swap with a k24z7.

Any help is appreciated.
T

·
Turbo lag
1,439 Posts
Yes, the engines are VERY similar to each other, but I wouldn't do it. No one has done this before so you don;t know any potential compatibility issues you might encounter. Troubleshooting any compatibility issue is costly and time wasting.

Is the piston damaged in anyway? or the cylinder wall? If not, a head replacement should be cheaper and quicker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the engines are VERY similar to each other, but I wouldn't do it. No one has done this before so you don;t know any potential compatibility issues you might encounter. Troubleshooting any compatibility issue is costly and time wasting.

Is the piston damaged in anyway? or the cylinder wall? If not, a head replacement should be cheaper and quicker.
No piston damage and compression is 200 across cylinders. Was told that would be more expensive. Estimates for head replacement was about $200 more than a complete engine swap and was told it would be more labor plus machining of the head was also needed. Unless I can get a rebuilt or used head for cheap.

·
Turbo lag
1,439 Posts
No piston damage and compression is 200 across cylinders. Was told that would be more expensive. Estimates for head replacement was about $200 more than a complete engine swap and was told it would be more labor plus machining of the head was also needed. Unless I can get a rebuilt or used head for cheap.
I'm confused. Why does the head need to be machined?

A used K24Z head is like $300 online. Look it up.

You should get a second opinion somewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Got more mechanic quotes, all said to replace engine with 2 of them willing to replace head. Going to keep looking for a mechanic that can install without quoting me so high. Thanks!

Sorry but i left out a couple of other things the engine needs, A VTC actuator and a timing chain kit. apparently the timing chain kit is where the bulk of the work is at ?. Got a few more quotes today, most mechanics said to just swap the engine. the head might have to be machined(resurfaced) depending on how flat the mating surface is. Thanks for the advice!, would defiantly go that route if it was just the head that was needed.

·
Turbo lag
1,439 Posts
Sorry but i left out a couple of other things the engine needs, A VTC actuator and a timing chain kit. apparently the timing chain kit is where the bulk of the work is at ?. Got a few more quotes today, most mechanics said to just swap the engine. the head might have to be machined(resurfaced) depending on how flat the mating surface is. Thanks for the advice!, would defiantly go that route if it was just the head that was needed.
Unless you buy a brand new engine, you can't really avoid the VTC actuator. In your original post, the way that you word it sounded like they think they need to resurface a brand new head (which is the part that didn't make sense to me).

I have TRIED to remove a K24Z3 from a wrecked Accord before and it was ridiculous how long it was taking to try to pull the motor out. So I really can't imagine swapping a motor is easier than putting a new/used head on a good bottom end and doing a timing chain job.

Just out of curiosity, how much are these places charging you for an engine replacement or a head swap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless you buy a brand new engine, you can't really avoid the VTC actuator. In your original post, the way that you word it sounded like they think they need to resurface a brand new head (which is the part that didn't make sense to me).

I have TRIED to remove a K24Z3 from a wrecked Accord before and it was ridiculous how long it was taking to try to pull the motor out. So I really can't imagine swapping a motor is easier than putting a new/used head on a good bottom end and doing a timing chain job.

Just out of curiosity, how much are these places charging you for an engine replacement or a head swap.
the first quote for head work was around $1700 to take the head off the car, re-valve, valve, lap, and resurface the head, that included new valves,timing kit, valve cover seals. vtc actuator,head gasket.

now that was one of the more expensive shops i got a quote from, a more reasonable shop was going to charge 800 for labor and estimated 300 to recondition the head. however the engine swap was about $200 more and that would include a 2011 engine with 65K miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh wow! i can't believe i get to be of help at last here all the way from Nigeria, Africa. Well i also had to replace the engine of my 2008 honda accord, i changed it from the k24z2 to k24z7 with no mounting issue. *only issue noticed after 3years is that, i had to take the bottom oil pan out for some welding repair due to the bad roads here, and boy! all engine seats had to be slackened and jacked up to make enough room for the k24Z7 bigger oil pan to be removed. i believe the roads are good where you are, so you might never encounter such issues. My final advice is go for it! and only use synthetic oil. All the best!

·
Turbo lag
1,439 Posts
Oh wow! i can't believe i get to be of help at last here all the way from Nigeria, Africa. Well i also had to replace the engine of my 2008 honda accord, i changed it from the k24z2 to k24z7 with no mounting issue. *only issue noticed after 3years is that, i had to take the bottom oil pan out for some welding repair due to the bad roads here, and boy! all engine seats had to be slackened and jacked up to make enough room for the k24Z7 bigger oil pan to be removed. i believe the roads are good where you are, so you might never encounter such issues. My final advice is go for it! and only use synthetic oil. All the best!
Pictures or it didn't happen! LOL.

I'm honestly kind of surprised that it worked without a hitch. We know that it should mount up with no problem, but did you have any performance problems or fault codes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pictures or it didn't happen! LOL.

I'm honestly kind of surprised that it worked without a hitch. We know that it should mount up with no problem, but did you have any performance problems or fault codes?
Lol... no worries i'll attach pictures. No performance problem, no fault codes. in the pictures attached you will see i tried snapping the engine k24z7 number engraving. In another picture you will see my dash instrument cluster with no check engine light. Engine works perfect like a charm!

NB: The cluster picture taken is a "cold start" pic, that's why the idle is above 1

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can I fit the z7 in my 2009 accord coupe ? Will the oil pan clear or do I have to switch mine from the z3 ?

·
Turbo lag
1,439 Posts
Can I fit the z7 in my 2009 accord coupe ? Will the oil pan clear or do I have to switch mine from the z3 ?
Look, the Z7 isn't a magic motor. Pretty much anything the Z7 can do, so can your Z3. It's a pointless swap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Look, the Z7 isn't a magic motor. Pretty much anything the Z7 can do, so can your Z3. It's a pointless swap.
Your wrong 100% if you did your research you would no this I was asking if it will fit

Your wrong 100% if you did your research you would no this I was asking if it will fit
If you don’t want to answer then don’t bud was not asking for your 2 cents

·
Turbo lag
1,439 Posts
Where's your source? I'm willing to learn. Every discussion I've seen on the K24Z3 vs Z7 says that the motor is nearly identical with the Z7 being designed to fit in the Civic with tuning differences. The K24Z3 in the TSX is only 2hp off from the K24Z7.

In the post you quoted, it looks like it will fit. They only had to slack the motor mounts because they are removing the oil pan, so I guess if you aren't replacing the pan, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are 3 different k24z3 engines 1 in the Crv 1 in accord and 1 in the tsx the has higher compression then all the rest but the cams in the engine are the same as the 12-15 si that’s why there so close but the k24z3 I have is shit with full bolt on got in tuned yesterday on dyno made 1hp less then then stock 12-15 si witch is 175 whp

I have my buddie that works at Honda looking might be able to just switch the cams but if I have to switch the springs the cheaper for whole engine

·
Turbo lag
1,439 Posts
There are 3 different k24z3 engines 1 in the Crv 1 in accord and 1 in the tsx the has higher compression then all the rest but the cams in the engine are the same as the 12-15 si that’s why there so close but the k24z3 I have is shit with full bolt on got in tuned yesterday on dyno made 1hp less then then stock 12-15 si witch is 175 whp
Ah, we all knew about the compression differences. The Z3 in the Accord is the lowest at 10.5 :1. It might be worth finding out how Honda made the compression differences and just replace the part that's different.

If you're sticking with NA, it might be worth checking this out:

This CNC head will give you plenty of room to grow. That and a type-s oil pump swap, you can probably hit close to 230WHP without swapping the whole motor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts