Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured it's time for me to start my thread.

I'm a bit picky with my Accord and I really want to reduce the road noise from my car. I'm convinced its the vibrations caused from the road that's resonating throughout the car body and creating noise. Also, another big thing is I'm on a super tight budget which doesn't help. So I'm putting my best foot forward and trying to come up with a creative and yet effective way to lessen road noise in my car.

My current products of choice:
1. USEAL USA Band 6 in. Aluminum Foil Self-Adhesive Repair Tape-8872AF6 - The Home Depot
2. Frost King E/O 12 in. x 15 ft. Self-Stick Foam/Foil Duct Insulation-FV516 - The Home Depot

Here's where I think I need the most insulation:
1. Floorboard. This is where I believe most of my noise is coming from. If you have good senses, you actually can feel the floor vibration as you drive. I'm hoping with some good insulation I can cut down on this vibration which in turn will reduce the noise.
2. Trunk. I've heard everyone say a TON of noise comes from the truck. I believe it so I'm working on a way to insulate that also.
3. Doors. Unfortunately this one is tricky. The USEAL insulation is asphalt based adhesive and butyl rubber. Its very sticky and can smell some in high heat. I'm a bit worried if I deaden the outter door panel that I will get asphalt smell which will be a big killer. I've used frost king on my passenger door and I hardly notice a difference.

I know I'm in need of 3 things for killing noise:
1. Deadener
2. MLV
3. CCF/OCF

I'm concentrating on deadening first then I'll move on to the others if I 1. Have the $$$ and 2. feel(hear) it's needed.

Progress so far:
I'm working on the truck today. I really want to pull the side carpet and get the wheel wells but I haven't had time yet.
Trunk
Before:

After:

Floorboards

I will keep everyone updated on my progress since this is a WIP.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remember that you only need to cover 25% of the tinny sounding panel to hear a difference in the resonant frequency of that panel. This saves time and money.
That's what I've read also. However, the product im using is supposedly half the thickness of dynamat so I'm trying to somewhat layer up or cover more area with this stuff. I finished up the driver side floorboard last night. I also was able to pull off 1 side of the rear trunk carpet and put 2 pieces of dampening on the driver side rear quarter panel. I'm almost out of dampening material... :frown

·
8th Gen Believer
3,880 Posts
Good for you!

I'm just beginning that project myself, and have done quite a bit of research.
I've been warned off any product with asphalt because of the smell. It apparently doesn't go away.
The first thing I did, yesterday, was to buy a set of Continental Pro Contact tires. Noticeably more quiet than the Pirellis they replaced.
I'll be interested in your progress!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm keeping my eye on this thread. I'm curious as to how much time and money you invest and what the finished project "sounds" like.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just beginning that project myself, and have done quite a bit of research.
I've been warned off any product with asphalt because of the smell. It apparently doesn't go away.
The first thing I did, yesterday, was to buy a set of Continental Pro Contact tires. Noticeably more quiet than the Pirellis they replaced.
I'll be interested in your progress!
I've been worried about that also. Actually paranoid. My worst nightmare is this stuff smells like crap all the time. However, after applying an entire roll in my car and trunk, I have yet to smell it. It's been quite hot and my car sits in the sun at work all day, gets 120F+ in the car, I didn't smell it then. I've been reading up on people that have used Peel & Seal since its a similar product. It seems like there's 3 types of results as far as smell, 1. Smells nasty all the time, 2. Smells for a week then its gone, 3. Doesn't smell at all. From what I could tell it seemed that the results were more in favor of 2 & 3 so I figured I'd just go ahead.

I'll keep everyone updated if I experience this smell that everyone has talked about. If you actually pick up the product you have to literally be all up in the material to actually smell the asphalt. And lets say it does eventually smell like asphalt when its 90F+ outside, I know it won't likely smell like that forever since we know that roads only smell bad for a few weeks after they've been resurfaced... I'm hoping thats the same case...

My next sound dampening product will likely be the OCF/CCF layer. I'm going to pickup some denim insulation since that's whats already used in the car now:
UltraTouch 16 in. x 48 in. Denim Insulation Multi-Purpose Roll (6-Pack)-60306-16482 - The Home Depot

The trunk is the HUGE area where you could just pack layers upon layers of this stuff by the wheel wells. Behind the trunk carpet is just a huge gap between the QP and carpet. I'm figuring adding a ton of higher frequency sound absorption material will definitely help cut down on sound. I also plan on using this material between the vapor barrier and door panel.

The ultimate test is if the wife gets in and say...oh that smell...lol :grin

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried a different route. I took out the floor mats and cut Peacemaker 3.2mm Sound Insulation Roll to match the shape. It's a product from Audimute. I did two layers on each floor mat. I also did two layers in the trunk. There was a noticeable reduction in sound. The plus, I didnt have to remove anything, and can take it out at a moments notice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've used this exact product in my Accord and my previous Dodge Ram. It was in my truck for 2 or 3 years and never gave off an odor. This is in central fl parked outside.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used this exact product in my Accord and my previous Dodge Ram. It was in my truck for 2 or 3 years and never gave off an odor. This is in central fl parked outside.

That's reassuring. Yesterday was 80 and sunny so the car did heat up pretty good. No smell whatsoever. Passed the wife test also. Lol

I think I'm going to wait another week just to be sure there's no real smell then I'll pick up another roll.
I'm debating what to do on the back quarter panels. Obviously I'll use dampener on the metal but then there's about a 8"gap between the panels and carpet that need filled. I'm debating using the big gap filler expandable foam but I don't want that to Creek if I spray that in the trunk... Plus I don't think it has good sound absorption properties.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's reassuring. Yesterday was 80 and sunny so the car did heat up pretty good. No smell whatsoever. Passed the wife test also. Lol

I think I'm going to wait another week just to be sure there's no real smell then I'll pick up another roll.
I'm debating what to do on the back quarter panels. Obviously I'll use dampener on the metal but then there's about a 8"gap between the panels and carpet that need filled. I'm debating using the big gap filler expandable foam but I don't want that to Creek if I spray that in the trunk... Plus I don't think it has good sound absorption properties.
I filled this area with upholstery batting, the stuff you put in chairs and couches. No issues, and it does eliminate a lot of sound from the trunk.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,880 Posts
SoundDeadenerShowdown.com

This guy is the recognized expert on this. He designs and makes his own materials, and he is NOT expensive! Several members have recommended him highly. I'm placing my order when the eagle flies.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been going an entire week without any smell of any kind with the material installed. Supposed to be in the mid 90's this weekend, I'll let everyone know if anything changes. I haven't used a whole lot of the stuff (12.5sq.ft.) but I would think if it's going to smell, I'd be smelling it now.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Little update:

Temperatures around here have been 95F+...in the car it's easily getting 140-150F. I am happy to report absolutely 0 asphalt smell. When I mean absolutely 0, I mean not even a hint of it. You would never ever know this stuff has been installed in the car. Granted I've only used like 6-8sq.ft. in the cabin. I checked the pieces in the trunk and there's no sagging or slippage. Overall I'm quite happy. I don't have the time right now to do any other modifications or install more of the stuff but I'd imagine I will revisit this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I just got an 8th gen, so I'm following your progress with interest. Please let us know how much difference it makes.

Also, did you find any good how to videos on getting under the carpet in the trunk and floorboards?

thanks!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Given the amount of insulation installed so far, did you hear a difference?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has it really been this long already? So after ~2 months and a fully Georgia summer, I am happy to report that there is absolutely no smell from this product at all. Now granted the product is on the floorboards of the car and under carpet, and I didn't use much, you still would never know its there, by using your nose.

Noise hasn't changed much. It's probably due to the doors. I really need the dampener on the inner walls of the door panels inside the doors. I think that is where a good deal of sound is actually coming from, especially vibration at high speed on the hwy. I don't exactly have the money right now to pickup some more insulation, however, I plan to in the future. To be honest, if I'm going to do the doors right, it might take an entire roll to do 1 door, if not 1, maybe 1 and a half or at most, 2 doors. I'll likely be using 3 layers on the doors and probably covering the entire door panel on the inside.

What probably needs to happen is I need to get all 4 doors just coated in this stuff. Then I need to add another layer on the foorboards. I believe I did 2 layers on the floorboards and I think 3 is needed for there to be a good impact in noise. With the Accord the big issue is noise through resonance, so the more and thicker I can layer this stuff up, I should really cut down on that nasty road noise. I figure its worth the time and investment in the car. I'll be having it for another 5+ years, as long as she stays without a scratch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi All,
I am also planning to do sound deaden my accord. Its 3 years since I have it and was never happy with the road noise.

I have got kno knoise kolossus the thickest sound dampener available in the market (46% thicker than dynamatt extreme).

Also have got DB3 MLV from homedepot
4 ft. x 8 ft. Acoustical Barrier-DB348X96BX - The Home Depot

I am yet to start sticking the dampener. As a trial I have put 4 three by 6 inches of dampener on the trunk. When i knock on the trunk it feels a bit solid.

My plan is to do the Dampener on the doors first like (30%) and then put the MLV sheet between the door panel and the doors outer skin.

MLV is expected to do the sound proof up to 75% + The dampener should reduce the noise to some 60% or more.

Lets see how it goes.

But my project is a slow paced one. Have patience to look at the results.

I would like to do MLV on floors but .. I am not sure how to pull out all chairs and carpet. Any detailed instructions with pictures will be of great help.

Thanks
Ram

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi All,
I am also planning to do sound deaden my accord. Its 3 years since I have it and was never happy with the road noise.

I have got kno knoise kolossus the thickest sound dampener available in the market (46% thicker than dynamatt extreme).

Also have got DB3 MLV from homedepot
4 ft. x 8 ft. Acoustical Barrier-DB348X96BX - The Home Depot

I am yet to start sticking the dampener. As a trial I have put 4 three by 6 inches of dampener on the trunk. When i knock on the trunk it feels a bit solid.

My plan is to do the Dampener on the doors first like (30%) and then put the MLV sheet between the door panel and the doors outer skin.

MLV is expected to do the sound proof up to 75% + The dampener should reduce the noise to some 60% or more.

Lets see how it goes.

But my project is a slow paced one. Have patience to look at the results.

I would like to do MLV on floors but .. I am not sure how to pull out all chairs and carpet. Any detailed instructions with pictures will be of great help.

Thanks
Ram
I didn't pull up all the carpet. Just enough to get my hands in there and apply some dampening material. What you have to do is pull up the plastic cover over the raceway by the bottom of the door sills. They have pop locks so you can just pull the plastic right off the body. After that there's 3 clips holding in the carpet on the raceway. Once those are up you can just pull the carpet up for the front seats. Its very easy. Putting it back together is also easy. I didn't want to do a full taredown since I don't have the time/room/dampening material yet. Maybe 1 day I will. But my plan is to do 1 door at a time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have this thought in my mind.

How will it be if we cut MLV in the shape of the trunk carpet and palce it under the Trunk Carpet area. Its going to soundproof the entire floor area of the trunk right also seal the noise coming in from underneath the trunk.

I am thinking it will cut around 70% noise and the remaining 30% coming from under the carpet can be managed through deadening sheets.

let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Ram

1 - 20 of 45 Posts