Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
VCM DELETE
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was hemming and hawing after buying my '12 V6 a few weeks ago about disabling the VCM. At 1st I didnt think the VCM was that bad, but after awhile it started to present itself, with loss of power, hesitation, wierd shifting ect. It took me awhile of driving to realize that is what it was. Overall I didnt think much of it, but when I had to "hit the gas to make it to a red light" with that dumb ECO light on, I knew something needed to be done. So after COUNTLESS hours of reading about the VCM muzzler vs. S-VCM I decided to go with the S-VCM. So onto Fleabay I went and found VCSMAR0 selling it for a great price (LOL) of 96.74+ Shipping from somewhere in Canada. All is good I got it a record 6 days!

So I installed it last night, was a piece of cake took me honestly 10 mins. Off I went to test it out...unbelievable. Its like a totally different car. Not that it has "more power" per say, but it has more "power on demand" than before. Dosent have the hesitation, slowness that it had before. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is sick of the VCM and the constant changing from ECO mode to out of ECO mode. After feeling the constant shift of the engine from the VCM engaging and disengaging, I can see that engine mounts would fail over time, and they are insanely pricy to repair.
From the driving I did I honestly couldnt tell a difference in MPG either, ill have to check after I use this tank and calculate the real time numbers. Only thing I noticed the the coolant dash indicator sits slightly below what it used to.

What I like about the S-VCM Vs. Muzzler is that if your car is to truly overheat, the S-VCM would essentially "Shut off" allowing the car to do what it needs to do. That was a big persuader to me to go with that over the muzzler.

If you have a V6 8th gen I can highly recommend using the S-VCM to disable the VCM. I saw he also sells it for Oddy's, Ridgelines, and even 9th gen accord V6's too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey what’s going on? I’m having a problem with my VCM and I’m thinking of buying the programmer that you have. And hoping it’ll fix it. Did you get the program because yours was acting up? Thank you please let me know

·
VCM DELETE
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey what’s going on? I’m having a problem with my VCM and I’m thinking of buying the programmer that you have. And hoping it’ll fix it. Did you get the program because yours was acting up? Thank you please let me know
Not necessairly that it was "Acting up" but I have been warned by so many others on here that had 8th Gen V6 issues, and I had the car only 2 weeks and was already annoyed with it. Honestly, I felt like it was so unlike a V6 to have the slight lag in acceleration, also the motor felt like it was flopping around in low speed driving and I feared motor mount failure. That was one of the main issues I had, another was having to hit the gas to get to a red light. Then hearing about all the problems (use search on this site) of all the oil burn issues and fouled spark plugs. I didnt want any of it, although it does seem to be better/not as big an issue on the '11 and '12 year vs. the 08-10.

If I had to do it again I would buy it in a heartbeat. You WILL have a loss in MPG, although if you are buying a V6, why do you even care about MPG? For me its a good trade off. My car FEELS more like a V6, has instant passing power and the VCM flopping around and engaging and disengaging all the time is no longer an issue. I figure why wait until a problem happens, delete the VCM now and dont worry about it later on.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,873 Posts
I have zero VCM problems such as are described here. It is smooth and seamless. HOWEVER I am going to disable it. There's been enough evidence here on DA from members with oil consumption, carbon buildup, plug fouling etc. I'm not very technical nor DIY, but it just stands to reason that disabling 2-3 cylinders on a V6 engine is a bad idea.

·
Race to the speed limit
221 Posts
I have zero VCM problems such as are described here. It is smooth and seamless. HOWEVER I am going to disable it. There's been enough evidence here on DA from members with oil consumption, carbon buildup, plug fouling etc. I'm not very technical nor DIY, but it just stands to reason that disabling 4 cylinders on a V6 engine is a s____y idea.
Disabling 2 or 3 cylinders*

I think it's a good idea and would work quite well if executed better (e.g. not borking piston rings). I get the whole, "You bought a V6, why do you care about fuel economy" mentality, but some people want the best of both worlds.

Lucky that you haven't seen issues with VCM, though.

I think S-VCM is making its way to being the best relatively plug-and-play product that isn't a KTuner.

·
Accord Expert
11 Posts
Recently had the Piston ring colonoscopy/engine overhaul on our 11 Accord V6. 3 pages of service records. All at 50k miles nonetheless. Thanking my lucky stars it was covered by that 8 year extended warranty. Runs as good as new now, but VCM is definitely Satan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello,
so i just bought a new to me 08 V6 Accord with 150k on the dashboard but the previous owner replaced the engine at honda dealership with the one with 89k miles prior to replace engine previous owner took the car to dealership and was told there was misfire on cylinder #3 and authorized to replace piston rings but when they tore down the engine they found out that #3 cylinder was damaged and they ended up replacing the engine and ended up selling the car to me

this is my first v6 never owned one before and i feel like the original engine failure at 150k might be because of the vcm may be? i just dont want the history repeat again and would like to invest on the gadget but i will need help picking the right one as they are allot in the market i seen this S-VCM Controller - Disable VCM / deactivate VCM and stop ECO in Honda Acura but like always opinions are needed in such scenarios looking forward to hear from you guys

your new Accord Member
Tdi200

·
8th Gen Believer
4,873 Posts
Thanks scar_cle for the helpful post!

Reactions: scar_cle

·
Registered
Home of the 301k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
499 Posts
Hello,
so i just bought a new to me 08 V6 Accord with 150k on the dashboard but the previous owner replaced the engine at honda dealership with the one with 89k miles prior to replace engine previous owner took the car to dealership and was told there was misfire on cylinder #3 and authorized to replace piston rings but when they tore down the engine they found out that #3 cylinder was damaged and they ended up replacing the engine and ended up selling the car to me

this is my first v6 never owned one before and i feel like the original engine failure at 150k might be because of the vcm may be? i just dont want the history repeat again and would like to invest on the gadget but i will need help picking the right one as they are allot in the market i seen this S-VCM Controller - Disable VCM / deactivate VCM and stop ECO in Honda Acura but like always opinions are needed in such scenarios looking forward to hear from you guys

your new Accord Member
Tdi200
I've got two 2012 EX-L V6 Crosstours and a 2017 Pilot that are all VCM disabled. The one Crosstour I bought new 8 years ago is at 245k miles. At 200k I did both V-tec assemblies with spools because of oil leaks and engine codes. Almost lost the alternator with the oil leak that can occur right where the dipstick is. The following week, I replaced both catalytic converters because of the reoccurring P0420 and P0430 codes. After a few weeks, these codes began to occur again. I had never heard of VCM disabling, until I found the Piloteers.org forum (Lots of V6 talk there because the Pilot only comes in a V6). I ordered S-VCM. After about 10 days of running with the VCM disabled, the emissions codes are gone. That was 30k miles ago. The device is saving my engine. I'm hoping to get 300k out of this car. Wish I had known about it sooner.
Only thing to be cautious about is your cooling system. The device works by tricking your computer by defaulting the engine temp to 165.2°F. Make sure your coolant level is good with no leaks and both cooling fans working with and without the AC on. Before installing, test that both cooling fans come on with the AC off at 206°F.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I own a 2012 3.5 v6. I dont notice the VCM working most of the time. I dont recommend the above mentioned products.
Just because you don't recognize it doesn't mean damage is not being caused.
The VCM shutting down certain cylinders an leaving the valves open on this model, allows oil to travel into your exhaust system, clogging the cats. Valves can have oil deposits baked on so thick, they stop closing fully. It is the cause for dirty fuel injectors, oily fould out spark plugs, stuck rings, scored engine cylinder walls.
Here is a photo of my cylinder head at 180k miles. Notice the dark oil deposits over cylinder #4. This cylinder is frequently turned off while the VCM is active. You can pay $95 now or $1000s later.

Reactions: ladyshandon

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the S-VCM on my 08 V6, under the advice of my mechanic he said I should remove it because it’s tricking the computer that it’s operating under temp 100% of the time which in the long run will cause issues.

And so I removed it.

I did like the feeling of always being on 6 cyclinders and not having to press the gas to reach a red light. I did lose MPG (somewhat significantly) while it was installed so I guess ECO works.

What is the long term damage that could happen with the S-VCM installed that my mechanic stated?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had the S-VCM on my 08 V6, under the advice of my mechanic he said I should remove it because it’s tricking the computer that it’s operating under temp 100% of the time which in the long run will cause issues.

And so I removed it.

I did like the feeling of always being on 6 cyclinders and not having to press the gas to reach a red light. I did lose MPG (somewhat significantly) while it was installed so I guess ECO works.

What is the long term damage that could happen with the S-VCM installed that my mechanic stated?
I guess the mechanic is in hopes of future repair bills.🤦‍♂️
Ask him, What damage could happen? The temp sensor controls the cooling fans, not the computer. The only possible negative of a disabling device is it makes diagnosing an overheating condition a little more difficult. That is, when I plug in my scanner, it shows a default temp of 165.2°F. Let's say your engine temp is above 209°F and the fans do not kick on, you will not know. S-VCM monitors your temp for you and will light up if your temp gets to high. If I'm suspicious of my fans not working, I simply unclip the S-VCM and clip the vehicle harness back directly to the engine temp sensor and get my reading.
Maybe your mechanic doesn't want to unclip and then reclip the device when you bring it to him. You did the right thing spending $100 to save a $1,000+ later.
From time to time .., in the morning on start up, see if both cooling fans come on when you turn your AC on. If not, you have a problem. After you have driven your vehicle and you get home.., with the engine running, turn the AC off. see if both cooling fans come on after a minute or 2 of idling. If they do, this proves your temp sensor is working.

Reactions: brybo86

·
Registered
25 Posts
@NailGrease very good point may be the mechanic thinks that installing svcm will make the thermostat always open and not close? but next pay check i am surely getting vcm disabler and doing quick google search they are allot in the market matter of fact i found one where u can run wires inside the cabin so that u have option to turn on and off the vcm here is the link of product: VCMTUNER II - Advanced - 2007+ for Honda Acura 3.5L I-VTEC Disable VCM / ECO mode

·
Registered
499 Posts
@NailGrease very good point may be the mechanic thinks that installing svcm will make the thermostat always open and not close? but next pay check i am surely getting vcm disabler and doing quick google search they are allot in the market matter of fact i found one where u can run wires inside the cabin so that u have option to turn on and off the vcm here is the link of product: VCMTUNER II - Advanced - 2007+ for Honda Acura 3.5L I-VTEC Disable VCM / ECO mode
I've heard good things about this one in your link. S-VCM works, but the added feature would be nice to have.

Reactions: tdi200

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've heard good things about this one in your link. S-VCM works, but the added feature would be nice to have.
yes sir and i will have my buddy run a switch inside to the cabin my only concern about vcmtuner2 is that the module connects to the battery which i believe the module will have constant 12v thrown to it instead of switched hope the battery will not be drain because of that

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son just bought a 2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX l. First night the battery went dead. We replaced that.. Second day the engine light came on. I told him to check the oil, he also said he was feeling a shake when braking..we assumed that might be roters. After having our mechanic check the codes it's reading the vcm code. I found this forum, but the S VCM on eBay are all out of stock. I'm so scared of him blowing up this car or something bad happening. What else can we do? What are the alternatives to fix this before it causing more damage?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts