Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am certainly not looking to open a "my cars better than yours" thread here. As time progresses so does technology, things get more efficient its a fact.

I'm curious having never driven any Accord before, has the V6 always been this good? I found some sketchy figures I don't know whether are true with a quick google that suggest the 8th gen v6 hit 60 in 7.0 sec's but the 9th hits it in 5.6. If this is true what changed to make it that much quicker? The power isnt much different right?

Secondly, I have no way of buying a coupe, I need 4 doors, so i got the sedan. But I think the coupe is a better looking car, it looks really really good in that random brown color I saw at my dealer with the HPF kit on.

But in standard guise is there any difference in performance and handling between the coupe and the sedan? Is the sedan vastly heavier?

Sorry guys I think i found the answer, by doing a little more research. The transmission was vastly improved and it would appear the 2014 really is a full second quicker to 60. its amazing what a difference the transmission makes.

Is the coupe lighter and faster than the sedan? Does it also handle better? or are they exactly the same car minus a couple of doors?

Checked the Honda website looks like there isnt much difference in curb weight:
Coupe v6 navi with auto = 3536
Sedan v6 navi with auto = 3559

·
Registered
161 Posts
The coupe is firmer sprung than the sedan and does handle better, but at some ride penalty.

It's not just the transmission that makes the performance difference - its more the engine redesign. the old model used VTEC to control its 3/4/6 cyl modes. It did not use vtec to enhance torque at lower revs (which doesnt show in the peak torque stats but does on dyno graphs). The new model does use vtec to control the valves to enhance lower rev torque and it is this primarily which helps so much. The auto sedan feels way faster than the 8 gen 9 (which felt slower than the J30 7 gen too btw). The old 6 speed manual 8 gen was crazy quick as it was not a VCM engine and had all the VTEC torque advantages which the auto didnt have. The 9 gen coupe 6 speed does not feel hugely different to the old one power wise.

There are other spec differences....no heated rear seats....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts