Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted everyone's thoughts on the best headlights possible for my Accord Coupe. I have heard some horrible things and some great things about HID's. All I really want is a nice bright headlight with a nice Blue Hue to it. I prefer the blue because it is easier on my eyes during night driving. Please Give me some ideas whether it be HIR...HID...or Halogen. I would love to just be able to buy a nice replacement set of bulbs but im really pretty new at all of this. Looking for people with experience in this. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
If youre getting HID's get proper headlight assemblies too pls :'(
I hate people that just install HID's and their lights blind everyone infront of them
They will give you a lot more visibility than normal lights, but they also turn you into a douche.
Also, id say get the 5k pure white. My brother has photosensitivity or something and the pure white works well for him.

Also, get some thick ballasts. I can link you the ones I bought, they work better than the slims/w.e else bootleg crap is out there. Ive never had problems with the thick proper ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so if I choose to put hid's in my regular headlight housings they will blind oncoming drivers? I would appreciate that link as well if you don't mind. I was looking at the OPT-7 HID conversion with the 8000K Color. Any input on that kit?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yup, they dont have the cutoff point like retrofits/aftermarket headlights.
Mine cutoff pretty much up to a car's trunk, and doesnt really reach their side mirrors so im sure no one gets blinded. But ive seen people with old cars, or just w.e cars that put HIDs in too either look cool or because they want more light. Those people blind everyone, for them its great because light is everywhere, but for the other drivers, its horrible. The main problem is just the cut off point.
Also, if you want 8k just check to make sure its legal where you live. Where I live i think you cant have colors, but people go for blue anyway. And the OPT-7 ive seen online, but ive never gotten one myself. Reviews on amazon say its really good so id say its a good buy.
The one I bought, I got it for the same reason as all the reviewers on amazon say(no flickering, works properly, gives the right kelvins)
This is what i bought - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170689042136?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Id recommend 55W if youve got the right headlights, or just go with 35W if you dont want it to be blinding. But the 55 would still be better I guess

overall, OPT-7 should be pretty good and the color should be good too.

for me, i regret buying the low beam only, since now if I want to change the high beam, ive got to open the bumper up again >< and it was hard af getting these lights in lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
so if I choose to put hid's in my regular headlight housings they will blind oncoming drivers? I would appreciate that link as well if you don't mind. I was looking at the OPT-7 HID conversion with the 8000K Color. Any input on that kit?
HID's don't usually blind the oncoming drivers, like SukhY said, it all depends on the cutoff point. My 2008 Coupe has 6000K, when you first turn them on, they're pretty blue, but after 3-5 minutes of driving, they become white with a hint of blue. Looks really good, and I've been told it doesn't blind anyone either. As it goes for visibility, its perfect for me as well. Go for the 5000K if you want pure white light, or go for 6000K if you want a white light with a hint of blue to it. Anything after that, is more blueish to purple, which has less visibility, but once again, its all about preference. Also, since you don't know much about it, I would get it installed professionally, it costs around $120 here for the whole kit & installation, but its worth it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I recently got a 35W OPT-7 BOLT 6000K HID kit off of Amazon and so far I am very pleased. The color and brightness are perfect (It is exactly the same color as my buddies stock TSX headlights). I do not blind anybody on the road, my cutoff as mentioned by Sukhy is under anyones side mirrors. I honestly think my stock halogens created more glare in drivers mirrors up ahead than the HIDs do.. Only thing I notice as far as as "glare" when I am pulled right up to my garage door, there is an oval shaped "halo" I guess you would call it that is slightly above the cutoff line which is about 12" - 15" wide and maybe 3" high, but it is not noticeable to other drivers on the road and I only see it when I am pulled right up to a solid surface of some sort.. I have actually had a buddy of mine switch cars with me and drive behind me to see if there was any glare and there was none at all...

IMO spending hundreds of dollars to retrofit an "HID Specific" projector into your stock housing is a big waste of money, you can get the same result by spending $65 on our 8th gen coupes... :dunno:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I recently got a 35W OPT-7 BOLT 6000K HID kit off of Amazon and so far I am very pleased. The color and brightness are perfect (It is exactly the same color as my buddies stock TSX headlights). I do not blind anybody on the road, my cutoff as mentioned by Sukhy is under anyones side mirrors. I honestly think my stock halogens created more glare in drivers mirrors up ahead than the HIDs do.. Only thing I notice as far as as "glare" when I am pulled right up to my garage door, there is an oval shaped "halo" I guess you would call it that is slightly above the cutoff line which is about 12" - 15" wide and maybe 3" high, but it is not noticeable to other drivers on the road and I only see it when I am pulled right up to a solid surface of some sort.. I have actually had a buddy of mine switch cars with me and drive behind me to see if there was any glare and there was none at all...

IMO spending hundreds of dollars to retrofit an "HID Specific" projector into your stock housing is a big waste of money, you can get the same result by spending $65 on our 8th gen coupes... :dunno:
If you think you are getting the same quality and performance of OEM HIDs from a $65 kit, thats laughable. I can tell the difference from a mile away that they're not OEM, its obvious. And thats just cosmetically. As far as light output goes, going out on a limb here, but the performance of purpose built HIDs, not HIDs sitting in a halogen engineered projector housing, will give you superior output and beam pattern. Im aware this isnt always 100% the case, but generally I feel im correct.

You are correct that doing a retro is way more expensive. And your never gonna recoup that money when the vehicle is sold. But the results speak for themselves. I was actually toying around with getting an HID kit myself, in the end I declined though. They just looked cheese. Not to mention the random problems people have, regardless of what brand or price.

And as far as anybody doing there own "tests", its admirable that you made the effort, but driving behind your buddy or pulling up to a garage isnt exactly accurate.

To HID or not to HID, the eternal debate continues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am not lighting expert.. But if your going to do it do it right.. talk to the people that do this stuff for a living.. that's what I did.. if you want HID then doing the retrofit is the right way to do it.. yes it cost more money but well worth it in the long run.

My HID retro amazingly bright and my cutoff is perfect.. I can put you in contact with my guy if you would like just let me know

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nobody is questioning the fact that a performance built HID projector would be optimal for light output if I were to be comparing one projector to the other. Fact of the matter is that the halogen projectors are sufficient enough to give the people that cant afford to spend $400+ on a retrofit what they are looking for... 9 out of 10 people wouldn't be able to tell the difference..

I never owned a set of HIDs, drove with the stock halogens for over a year on my 2010 coupe. Since I switched to the HID kit I couldn't be happier all around, looks and performance-wise...

I know cheese when I see it. This is not cheese at all.. A Ford F-150 with reflector housings and a 15K HID kit is cheese...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just took a 4300K HID kit out of my car due to a bad ballast. I put in some H9 bulbs (the stock ones are H11) and the light output is just as good, but not the same color. For the 6 some odd bucks I spent on the H9 bulbs I am very happy.

The H9 bulbs require minor modifications to make them fit but it is nothing any of you couldn't accomplish.

See this thread:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1446034

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow. Thanks for all of the input. Really a huge help for someone who doesn't know much. I am having them professionally installed for peace of mind. I am also adding a SRI Takeda intake when I have the install done. They said it would be about $220 for Highs, Lows and the intake which I am more than willing to pay to have it all done properly. Thanks again for all the help. Keep the suggestions coming. The more info I have the better I feel.

·
Registered
888 Posts
HID in halogen housing always looks bad imo due to the glare. Took mine out a while ago and glad I did. I just went with phillips crystal vision halogen as I wanted that whiteness..good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
HID done right :)
Six headlights (projectors via a hex retrofit).

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you want the best light, you want 4300K. The blue tint of higher color temps isn't easier on your eyes, it's just not as bright. Do 35w HID and you're good. I haven't yet tried HID in the stock housings of this car, but like many things, the truth is somewhere in the middle between those who say it's always great and those who say it's always a disaster.

The cutoff isn't all that's important. HIDs in some OEM housings are terrible...hot spots, dark spots, and terrible glare. In others its a viable alternative. All you can do is try and see for yourself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just had a Lexus LS430 low beam retrofit completed on my 2008 Accord EX-L V6. Here is the rough cost breakdown.

$200 - Another set of OEM Headlights (OPTIONAL), I didn't buy a second set

$270 - 04-08 Lexus LS430 Projectors & TSX-R Clear Lens (Craigslist)
$125 - Matsushita (Panasonic) 35W D2S Ballasts
$175 - OSRAM 66240CBI 5000K D2S Bulbs direct from Germany (Don't get the chinese knockoffs)
$10 - HID Relay to power the ballasts off the Battery instead of the stock harness
$350 - HID Illusionz - Retrofit'ed my lights and mailed them back to me

So about $950 for a low beam retrofit on the stock lights on my car.

The output is by far the best, much better than you will ever have with a HID Kit, which i've had for almost 8-9 years on my 97 accord, then my 2008 accord.

I bought the best projectors out there, with almost 5 lanes of width, you can get cheaper projectors and save some money.

I did all of the wiring, removal, and installation myself. The light output pictures below are bit overexposed due to my cellphone camera, but in reality there isn't any light above the cutoff.

Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Nice projector choice but they don't seem equally centered in their bowls. Maybe it's just the pictures.

I have a new setup underway starting from scratch that will use newly available options. Unfortunately I forego the RGB demon eyes (see below) but I have something else in store to replace them. Then to sell my current setup.

WIFI upgrade:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts