Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to specifications posted on Honda website, 2023 Accord LX and EX with 1.5 turbo are now recommended to use 91 Octane fuel.

Not sure if this is an error. Honda Canada is stating 1.5T takes regular.

The 2022 and prior Accords were recommended to use regular gas with the 1.5T

Note that the Accord 1.5T has 20 psi of boost (vs 16 psi on the Civic). Higher Octane protects against predetonation which can blow head gaskets.

· Registered
72 Posts
Good find! I see that compared to 2022 (10.3), the compression ratio for the 1.5T engine for the 2023 Accord is now 10.6. It is possible that this pushed this engine to now have more of a need for premium fuel to run optimally.

In 2022 Regular Unleaded is the REQUIRED fuel.
In 2023 91 Octane Unleaded is the RECOMMENDED fuel.

Not only that, even the 2.0 Hybrid has 91 Octane Unleaded listed as the RECOMMENDED fuel!

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been following hondamobilemechanic on YT and he has done a lot of Accord 1.5 headgaskets. Much higher percentage than Civics. He blames bad low octane fuel and predetonation.

The 2023 Accord LX and EX weights have increased by 80+ pounds vs 2022. Several hundred pounds more than a Civic.

So Accord has more weight. More boost. Same basic 1.5 engine as Civic. Even if not required I'll be running 91 Octane if I get a new Accord

1 - 5 of 5 Posts