Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the site and I'm in need of some quick help if you guys wouldn't mind. I have a 92 accord ex coupe, it has the F22a in it and I've been rebuilding this car part my part for the last year (not like uber fast race car, just replacing all the bad parts) Well heres the story..

I was cruisin around like any normal day and the car just stalled out, this is the first time this has ever happened except for 1 other time when I ran out of gas, I pulled into a gas station and called a buddy, we determined it was the fuel pump, (I always drive on super low gas, at one point the line broke and i was making the pump work 1000 times harder than normal just to keep it running, and c'mon.. its got 223K miles) turned the car "on" and couldn't hear the pump prime, however after I ordered the pump I was told the relay is much more common to go, I figured I'd do the pump anyway, now here are the questions
-Any reason for it to stall like that other than fuel (I have spark)?
-Do I HAVE to drop the tank to replace the pump (some people are telling me I can just replace it through the access hole in the trunk(right behind the back seats)?
-where do I get new tnak straps (advanced said they are discontinued)?

-Some more background on the car -
5 speed, 223,000 miles, driven every day
-Parts already replaced by me (not a shop) in order-
Radiator, Water pump, timing belt & tensioners, both Serp. belts & tensioners, Intake, Full exhaust = header to 2.25' no cat, no resonators, to 2.5 to open muffler (ran out of 2.25'), Oil pan gasket, Cam Seal, upper tube seals, Valve cover gasket, E-brake cable, IAC valve, plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor.

SORRY FOR WRITING YOU GUYS A BOOK :(

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, as much money and time I put into the car (oil change every 800 miles or so, work in a shop) I beat the hell out of it, I figured I already have the pump so I'm replacing that also. I don't know much about honda's, and I'm lazy, I'll admit it, mind telling me where the fuel filter is lol? thanks again for any and all help guys.

·
Registered
98 Posts
you can't replace the fuel pump through the access hole, that is where the fuel sending unit is.

you should make sure it's the fuel pump before you go to all that trouble. if you say you heard it prime, then that means it works, usually when a fuel pump goes bad, it never works again because the brushes in the motor have worn out.

the pump can work interminably however if the main relay is going bad. many people have successfully re-soldered the joints in the relay. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=53888&highlight=main+relay
i would try that first and see what it does.

there are many reasons a car could stall though. later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't hear it prime, which is why i believe it's either the pump or relay, and since I already have the pump, I figured I might as well put it in even if it's juts the relay, I got the pump for 60, and the relay is 50 my cost, my tank also has a hole in it so I was going to drop it for the pump, and while I was at it, determine weather or not I can paych my tnak or just buy a new one. Another thing I forgot to mention is my idle problem (jdm heartbeat) at all times unless the car is in gear it rev's from 1000rpm to 3000 on its own, I replaced the IAC and it did nothing, I've heard from a couple people it could also be the fuel pressure regulator (which mine is completely covered in rust and looks really beat up) Is this common for idle problem or do I have to adjust my new iac and check for vacc leaks. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some help on the idle problem would be greatly appreciated as well, I don't want to start a new thread, and with the exhaust the way it is, it sounds completely ridiculous

1 - 6 of 6 Posts