Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for how long this may be, but I want to give you all as much information as possible so that we can hopefully get this figured out.

My car ('93 accord) is overheating. Due to an accident several years ago, I don't have a reservoir for my coolant, just the radiator. When it first overheated, I added 50/50 water & antifreeze directly to the radiator. That did nothing, and I noticed that my radiator fan would not come on. So I began troubleshooting:

1.) I checked the fuse for continuity
2.) I tested the relay, by switching it out with another one.
3.) I hardwired the fan to the battery and it came on (so the fan motor is fine).
4.) I jumped/bypassed the thermoswitch using a paperclip and the fans ran continuously. However, I left the paperclip in so that the fans ran constantly and the car still overheated. So, while the thermoswitch (or other electric component upstream) may be bad, apparently even with the fans on it is overheating.
5.) I then removed the thermostat and tested it-- it opened fine as expected because my top radiator hose gets hot quickly as it should).

Now I am at a loss and hoping that your expertise will help me! To summarize:

I believe the water pump is working because my top radiator hose gets hot when the car is running (meaning that fluid is heating up in the engine, the thermoswitch is opening, and the hot fluid is cycling back to the radiator through the top hose). Also, the heat in the car is pretty hot. Although there is a problem that my radiator fan is not coming on, even with the fans on the car still overheats, so there must be some other problem. But if I have enough fluid (which i do) and it is cycling properly through the engine and radiator (as it appears to be) and the fans are on cooling the radiator, what else could be wrong?

(My fear is that I've blown a head gasket and gases have been released into system and that's causing it, but I'm hoping not).

Thanks so much for taking time to help me out! sorry again for the length of the post!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
well, if it overheats with the fans forced on then there must be a blockage in the cooling system or no coolant at all. no reservoir tank means your coolant will evaporate or leak out through the expansion hose.

also, the lower hose is the hose that gets hot when the thermostat opens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts