Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I I have done so much to this car to get it working right and i'm running out of ideas...

Right now I have this problem where I can start the car perfectly fine in the morning when it's cold. (I live in WA by the way so it's always cold especially this time of year keep that in mind.) But when I drive it to a store and the car heats up, occasionally I can't come out of the store and start the car backup. It has to cool down a bit before I can get it to start again. Like today why I am also a new member as I am stuck. Today, multiple times, the car runs perfect once it starts. But I can drive somewhere, put it in park with a perfect idle and no roughness or idle drop when shifting and after shutting it off, then immediately trying to restart it, it will not start. I also want to say that it has NEVER stalled on me ever.

Today it decided to start on like the 2nd crank, of my first time trying to start it after the car was warmed up, and it would start right up and hit 1 grand rpms and then die immediately. Try again, and it does it again, and again, and so on. It will start on the 2nd crank or sometimes first. So it gets spark, but then loses it after not even a second. And sometimes I never get spark at all, it just cranks and cranks forever.

Also, it is the automatic 4 door sedan 1993 LX forgot to mention. Stock f22 tranny and motor, both of which have been replaced. I've done a full tune up of plugs and wires, distributor cap, rotor, oil change, fuel filter, valve cover gaskets as well cuz they were bad.

If I step on the gas pedal a few times while trying to start it, it makes no difference at all besides the smell of gas. It still starts then dies. And again sometimes it doesn't at all. After sitting for anywhere between 10-20 minutes tho, it will start perfect and I can drive right away.

No CEL at all. Had one last week while I was driving, and that was coolant temp/level I guess as the code said it was, but my radiator is full and the temp was fine. That caused the D4 light to start blinking actually. (automatic.) The D4 light was the lock up control valve. Restarting the car made both go away, but I was low on oil. That's when I changed it, because I couldn't get the car to idle right. Afterwards it was fine. SO basically the car has a mind of it's own... Ugh.

The only things I have heard of it being would suggest the Computer, the camshaft or crankshaft sensor, or my main fuel relay. But like I said, sometimes the car starts up all the time even in the hottest weather or coldest, it only does this half of the time. And lately it's been getting worse.

Battery is new, well, refurbished, never had a problem cranking. Starter is fine as far as I can tell.

Could it be a coil pack or ignition coil as well?

Any help is appreciated, I hope this is an easy fix as my work just cut most of my hours and I don't have much money.

Also be easy on the technical talk. Google is my friend, but I only know as much about cars as the stuff I have talked about.

I forgot to mention that like 75% of the time when this does happen, I get it started finally and it idles really rough at like 300-600 rpm for a few seconds and sputters like it's trying to die, and rarely it does causing me to have to restart, but after a few seconds it will pick up and idle where it should be.

Another suggestion I heard was it could be some part on the throttle body, forgot what it was called. (all the info about suggestions is from other forums or something but they don't have the exact same problem as I do.)

Please help me, and thank you to whoever can help pinpoint it out! :)

I will be online a few times a day so please check back for my replies!

Also I have noticed my fast idle control valve, the one that's accessible by two screws by the fuel injection, is seized I believe. Using a flat head screw driver to adjust it, I can't get it to move up or down and I can't tell if it's all the way down or not. However, when I bought car 8 months ago I had a surging idle, but after several parts later it went away, haven't had it since.

Also the engine is the f22a1 still, just swapped from another 93 Accord from a junkyard. Has 178k on it, body has 275k, and tranny has 99k.

If any of you want me too, when this problem happens again I can upload a YouTube video and post a link of what's happening. Sound good?

Update: I used to have oil in my old distributor cap, so I replaced it. I'm gonna check it again here in a bit, the new one anyways, to see if oil is in it as well. I'm now also getting that rainbow liquid on the ground under my engine now when I try to start the car and you get a very very strong gas smell as well. If my distributor cap has oil, I'm gonna assume that my distributor is bad. At least the o-rings anyways. :(

Distributor is bad. Just saw oil coming out of a newly installed distributor cap and Rotor. It's leaking out of the bottom of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
**** you guys, I scrapped the car because the such beloved community didn't help me and just ignored my post completely. Thank you for the help you bastards. I'll be sure to write a review about you lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts