Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, this is some TOP SECRET shit. I had to dig deep to find this out, the only reason I'm sharing this is to give the edge to all 7th gen v6 users.

The compression ratio of the j30a4 (7th gen coupe V6 6-speed) is 10:1 which is high enough for 93 octane gas and according to a japanese dude who helped design the engine, adds 10hp. Now don't start freakin out yet Californians, cryin bout how we don't have access to 93 octane, just look for 100 octane racing fuel (it's out there, probly closer than you think) 11 gallons of 91 and 3.5-4 gallons of 100 equals 93 baby, just check the octane blending charts online. Haven't tried it yet cuz i just learned about it, but once my tank runs out i'm ALL over it. Gallon of 100 where I'm from costs 7.65, totally worth it!:banana:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
according to a japanese dude that helped design the engine?

well, my japanese friend's cousins aunt's 3rd uncle in-law whose last name is Honda told me premium gas gives the K24A4 200 hp like the TSX.

$30+ for a supposed 10 hp that may or may not be there, and that you will surely not even notice or use is totally worth it? i'd rather buy myself dinner.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,123 Posts
Old news, it's here in the forum from around 2004......hardly top secret.

From USA Today 2003 :

The Accord V-6 ratings assume regular-grade fuel, and Honda will market it as a regular-fuel engine. But — pssst — it's good for another 10 hp and 10-plus lbs.-ft. on premium, acknowledges V-6 engineer Asaki.

·
On hiatus...
751 Posts
I really hope the OP was joking. But I doubt it after reading his other two posts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A guy on v6performance.net did a before and after dyno. 87 Vs. 93 and the result was no increase in power. Eventhough 10HP whether it is cranck or wheel is not a lot, you might be able to feel at least a minute power increase. From my experience of putting premium in my car, there is no difference. Mainly, the advantage is to prevent knocking at a lower RPM.

·
ol' school SQ
287 Posts
Old news but you have to reprogram the ecu to get any power benefits do you not? It's not just like a fill up and it reprograms...you have to wipe out the old info, then it will reprogram...right?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Old news but you have to reprogram the ecu to get any power benefits do you not? It's not just like a fill up and it reprograms...you have to wipe out the old info, then it will reprogram...right?

don't forget to pull it out and blow air into it and then use it just like the old Nintendo nes cartridges!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ah a
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,350 Posts
usually my friends would spit into theirs..... 50/50 shot of it working.....

:lmao:

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
any loser not interested in 10 extra hp would HAVE to buy themselves dinner
If you drive 15K miles a year and average 25MPG in your V6, you use 600 gallons of fuel. If you pay an extra 25 cents per gallon for premium, you're wasting $150 a YEAR on +10HP that was dyno-proven to be vaporware. I know many other dyno proven methods of getting +10HP. Who's the loser?

You're treading on thin ice. You're new and judging from your posts, you've got a LOT to learn about cars, and yet you're questioning VTECaddict. Talk to him, search his posts, you'll see you could learn something from him instead of "TOP SECRET SHIT" that was known FIVE YEARS AGO and just recently disproven.

http://v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175821

·
AC6DN
1,316 Posts
Premium Gas should work because there is a knock sensor. The ECU should advance the timing as fare as it is possible, till ping's are detected (then retard it slightly). More timing is usually more power (and fuel economy). And becouse of the VTEC, I'd expect farther gains, than what timing alone would do. 10HP seems plossable...

I question the post regarding the Dyno-ing, I would want to know how exactly, how it was done. Was the 87 fuel ran out of the system, then known 93 filled. Its likely that the ECU takes some time, to learn, the new conditions (93-Octane)...

These effect will (should) work on any modern engine, to what degree, this is the question (no positive effect, is NOT, an EXPECTED OUT COME...

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you drive 15K miles a year and average 25MPG in your V6, you use 600 gallons of fuel. If you pay an extra 25 cents per gallon for premium, you're wasting $150 a YEAR on +10HP that was dyno-proven to be vaporware. I know many other dyno proven methods of getting +10HP. Who's the loser?

You're treading on thin ice. You're new and judging from your posts, you've got a LOT to learn about cars, and yet you're questioning VTECaddict. Talk to him, search his posts, you'll see you could learn something from him instead of "TOP SECRET SHIT" that was known FIVE YEARS AGO and just recently disproven.

http://v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175821
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/2002-08-01-accord_x.htm
The Accord V-6 ratings assume regular-grade fuel, and Honda will market it as a regular-fuel engine. But — pssst — it's good for another 10 hp and 10-plus lbs.-ft. on premium, acknowledges V-6 engineer Asaki.
I would believe Honda engineer Yasuaki Asaki, who helped design the V6, over someone posting on an internet board who is comparing dyno charts done one year apart...

·
Registered
29 Posts
man, this is some top secret shit. I had to dig deep to find this out, the only reason i'm sharing this is to give the edge to all 7th gen v6 users.

The compression ratio of the j30a4 (7th gen coupe v6 6-speed) is 10:1 which is high enough for 93 octane gas and according to a japanese dude who helped design the engine, adds 10hp. Now don't start freakin out yet californians, cryin bout how we don't have access to 93 octane, just look for 100 octane racing fuel (it's out there, probly closer than you think) 11 gallons of 91 and 3.5-4 gallons of 100 equals 93 baby, just check the octane blending charts online. Haven't tried it yet cuz i just learned about it, but once my tank runs out i'm all over it. Gallon of 100 where i'm from costs 7.65, totally worth it!:banana:
fail....

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/2002-08-01-accord_x.htm

I would believe Honda engineer Yasuaki Asaki, who helped design the V6, over someone posting on an internet board who is comparing dyno charts done one year apart...
I have read and cited that article MANY times but dynos seal it for me. Dyno's don't lie, the person who did the dynos was an engineer working on automobile engines as well, and that's about as good as its going to get.

Consider that the article has no qualifiers for the gains. It is not an automotive publication and anything an engineer said could have been easily misunderstood or misinterpreted. Maybe that 10HP is only available with a PCM program that is not on production cars. Or that 10HP was done on a lab bench with a different intake.

Compare that to dyno charts from a car owned by an automotive engineer (not from Honda), who did everything he could to control variables. On top of that, he even did things that would have INCREASED engine power. He also posts up firm timing numbers that debunk the myth - regular fuel posted timing numbers more advantageous to power production than premium fuel did. The nail in the coffin for any non-believers was that he dyno's engines at work, and says that the numbers they post DO NOT change significantly over time. It is hardly believable that in 20K miles, with power enhancing "mods" (engine cleaning, new plugs, etc), that the engine would lose exactly what premium gained, and retard timing in the process.

And I don't see anybody else spending money for 8 dyno runs to prove their point? :dunno:

·
Registered
118 Posts
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?page_number=2&article_id=58735

Temple of VTEC got 196whp in their dyno test of a 2003 Accord V6 on a (likely) mix of regular and premium unleaded which is in the same range as typical dyno results for the 260hp J32 in the TL/CL Type-S.

As for dynos not lying, I could post a dyno of my 200hp J30A1 making only 123whp, which is IMO is complete BS. All the FWD cars were dynoing low on that dyno day, yet all the RWD cars were dynoing in what you would expect, which led me to believe all the FWD cars were simply hooked up wrong.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?page_number=2&article_id=58735

Temple of VTEC got 196whp in their dyno test of a 2003 Accord V6 on a (likely) mix of regular and premium unleaded which is in the same range as dynos results for the 260hp J32 in the TL/CL Type-S.
That's on a different dyno and proves nothing :dunno: It is also said the premium fuel takes 300 miles to take effect on the Accord ECU, if it has any, so them filling up 20 miles prior really has nothing to do with anything either

1 - 20 of 44 Posts