Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just picked up a 94 accord a few weeks ago. Its got 215,000 miles on it and the car performs great(with the exception of my concern in this post). The transmission is solid, the steering is tight and its still comfortable to drive. with that said, when accelerating, I get a chatter from the valve train. Its not a rhythmic chatter... Its just the occasional "ticking" irratically while under load. Its almost a sound like you would get for running a car on low octane that demands a higher grade fuel. It still has sufficient power and doesnt struggle up hill. I am leaning toward timing since the guy i bought it from just did the timing belt and water pump at 200,000 miles(he did it himself and there's no telling what he did under the hood). I guess i need to quit being lazy and go rent a timing light since someone jacked mine recently.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
timing is computer controlled for the most part - center the dizzy and forget it.

most likely you have some piston slap or normal valvetrain noise. don't worry about it as it's largely considered normal, even with properly adjusted valves, although an adjustment would maximize engine power and reduce any excessive noise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts