Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
94 Accord
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone! So for some years now I've wanted HIDs but didn't know much about them. I was the typical guy that found an hid kit on eBay and threw them in my stock halogen reflector housings, not knowing how terrible that was. Granted, the were angled down so they didn't blind anyone but of course a state trooper got me the day before Thanksgiving in 2013 as I was traveling back to my hometown from college. After that, I found some Denji projectors. They were the shit with the PIAA super plasma gtx bulbs! The only "HID look" remotely close. But I failed inspection a few months ago because those housings wasn't DOT approved. So I ordered some black/crystal DOT reflector housings and used regular halogens and they sucked! So I then ordered some spyder projector headlights and installed another eBay hid kit in them and they were ok. Didn't look that great and the output was so-so. Nice cut off but the light reflected off the shield inside the projectors and produced huge amounts of glare. So went with philips crystal vision bulbs in those and that was way better. But nothing compared to the denji projectors. So I did TONS of research on retrofitting and decided to do it as a summer project before classes started again. And I'm glad I did! First, I want to say that its actually pretty easy but it does required PATIENCE!! With me being a college student I can't go all out and spend $500-$1000 on unnecessary things so, I did this on a budget. I ordered two mini h1 bi-xenon projectors on ebay for $40 total and used the previous eBay 5000k hid kit that was maybe $30. The output was better and of course gave me greater distance and better foreground visibility but something wasn't right. So I did more research and figured out that eBay hid kits are terrible, especially the ballast. I never had an issue as in they always worked but I just notice the the light output wasn't as bright and full as it should be. So I ended of buying an opt7 bolt series hid kit with premium AC ballasts, about $56...and that did the treat. Looks better than some stock HIDs. Here are some pics of after the retrofit. You can tell the difference between to two kits, although the opt7 kit is 4300k. First two light output pics are the eBay hid kit and the last two are the opt7 kit. You can see the blueish/purple flicker in the 3rd pic if you look hard enough. It's beautiful at night and cloudy days, reflecting of signs and other cars. The last 2 pics were more focused so it seems that the first cutoff pic was brighter but it's not even close. Next mod will be wheels, then paint job.

Attachments

·
94 Accord
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I adjusted the driver's headlight to get my cutoff crisp from the last pic since then. Here's a few more pics of the headlights themselves.

the spyder projector headlights (last pic)

Attachments

·
94 Accord
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you retrofit ? Can you give some detail into the process? Was there any serious fabrication needed?
Remove all bulbs, clips, holders then open up the headlights. I used a heatgun the first time then the oven the second time. The oven was the better/easier method. Heated it to 250 then placed each headlight in there for about 5-7 mins, and the lenses came right off with ease; I pulled them off slowly though. After that, unscrew the reflector inside then placed the projector through the hole where the reflector was. I used the mini h1 projectors because they are the easiest to install. A little dremel work was needed to the screw hole where the reflector was (just cut it out so the projector can fit) and the back of the headlight so you can properly tighten the projector in. I had to shave down where the bulb holder was. I left it a lil loose so I could rotate n' angle them later at night. Then I put the lenses back on and put them back in the oven same temp, same time. Took them out pressed them in firmly and let them cool to seal back together and that's it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts