Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first Honda a few weeks ago (thanks to a girl rear ending me and totaling my Buick Lesabre which I LOVED!).

At any rate, I'm quickly warming up to the Accord. Its a 96 with just a hair over 80k miles, and the thing is as immaculate as you could expect a 14 year old car to be.

Anyways, my concern is with the trunk light. I leave the trunk open on my cars ALOT (like hours and hours on end). It appears that the trunk light comes on as soon as the latch is opened, and doesn't go off again until the trunk is fully closed and re latched. All the other cars I've had either had had a timer that'd turn the light out after a certain amt of time, or a mercury switch where the light would go off if you closed the trunk most of the way.

Any thoughts on modifying this with preferably a timer switch? I'm sure I could do it with a dip switch to manually shut it off (did that before on another of my cars, used a wall switch to turn the light on and off), but I'm lazy.

I'm also adding CCFL lights to the trunk to make up for the pitiful trunk light, which will probably exacerbate the energy drain problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doing some more research, it appears that no one really makes a plug-n-play timer for the application I need.

It does appear that something like this would be what I'd need:

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/elec/ck1614.htm

The delay adjustments aren't exactly ideal, the closest to what I'd need would be 4.25 mins (10-15 mins would be better), but I could make due with that....

It appears that the factory trunk light, and 2 CCFL lights should be with in the electrical operating range of this unit (5mA for the CCFLs, and I would have to guess the factory light would be way less than that).

I don't know a whole heck of alot about electrical, but something like what I'm looking do so should be fairly straightforward, and fairly low risk in the case of a goof up. I also know more than a few electricians if I get in any real trouble.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hook it up to a switch. you could open the trunk and hit a switch to disconnect the power. once you hit the switch again it would turn on but go out once the trunk was closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts