Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I had the brake booster and master cylinder on my 96 accord v6 replaced. As I was driving it home, the pedal felt extremely stiff and I could barely fell it go down. The braking it self felt very strong like it was braking well but the pedal is very stiff and it got to a point where I had to mash it, just wondering if the mechanic needs to recalibrate or redo the whole thing.

·
Elvira - the car
3,292 Posts
So recently I had the brake booster and master cylinder on my 96 accord v6 replaced. As I was driving it home, the pedal felt extremely stiff and I could barely fell it go down. The braking it self felt very strong like it was braking well but the pedal is very stiff and it got to a point where I had to mash it, just wondering if the mechanic needs to recalibrate or redo the whole thing.
Check the operation of the booster by pumping the brake pedal several times with the engine off (gets any vacuum out of the booster)
On the last push of the pedal hold it steady and start the engine and see what happens to the pedal.
Did it push down further ? Booster should be OK
Did it NOT move at ALL? the two-way valve in the booster may be bad or the booster just can't hold the vacuum.
Is the booster the correct size? Too small will make the assist boost MUCH lower and cause a hard pedal but I can't see if the booster is fitting if it's the wrong size. But......!!!.

Check valve in the brake booster hose MIGHT be backwards and not operating correctly ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts