Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my first honda car. Only problem I noticed is that sometimes the transmission will make what seems to me a "dry grinding or growling sound". Seems when I'm in 5th gear it never makes the noise. It doesn't make the noise at any particular rpm. It does make the noise in all first 4 gears, but not all the time. Please don't tell me my transmission is going! I changed out the transmission fluid last weekend, but it still makes the sound. I was concerned about the half shaft bearing on the drivers side, and was wondering if that might be the culprit? Doesn't seem to be bad by shaking it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Does the noise change when sitting still with the clutch in or out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it seems it only makes the noise while it's in gear and moving. I don't think it would be a throw out bearing as I'd suspect it would be doing it while in neutral too. However, i'm new to these cars...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was thinking maybe input shaft bearing. The noise will change when the clutch is moved while the car is stopped and will make noise while driving.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Depends what you consider hard. The trans must be removed and opened up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
any accord trans form 90-97 will fit and prelude from 92-96. Im pretty sure the 98-02 4 cyl trans will mate up just fine same goes for the 97-01 lude (non sh).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found this on a website...will this work???

"Hi, I have a 1992 Honda Civic Ex-v for sale for Parts
It's got a D16 Vtec Engine, 5 Speed with a short throw shifter
"

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts