Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried the "search this forum". No luck...maybe I'm not using it correctly.

Anyways...in Feb of 2014 bought the 98 Accord EX. When summer came everything worked except no cold air. Recharged it and all was well. Put out good cold air.

Now nothing works when A/C button is selected. The light comes on when pushed but no clutch engagement or cooling fans.

I disconnected the clutch and jumped 12 volts to it. It worked. I then started the car and did the same. The clutch engaged and both cooling fans came on and I could feel the relays working as I took the jumper on and off the + battery terminal. I then held the jump for roughly 30 sec to see if the air would start to cool. It did not.

So far, this is telling me that my relays, clutch and fans are good.
Is there a coolant sensor connected in this circuit that may be the issue?

Also, I thought it odd that jumping the clutch would kick on the fans...how's that work ?

Any ideas?

·
Clermont, FL
206 Posts
how is the engine bay? clean of rust? could be a ground issue or positive cable issue, the wire harness that runs to the compressor/fans could be tampered with, check the fuses in the fuse box. on top of that u should check to see if u have a system leak. there is something called uv leak, u put it in like any other refridgerant, run the system so the uv fluid can circulate, then with a uv light check the low and hi pressure lines, see if u can see any uv liquid. if so then u could have a leak

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
There is a combo low/high pressure switch in the drier. It cuts the power to the clutch if the pressure is too low or too high. I would suspect that you are low on R134a refrigerant. Putting a set of gauges on the car would prove that theory or try adding R134a refrigerant and see if the clutch engages. As to why everything appears to work when you have jumped the clutch my only guess is the power is being back fed to the relays through the clutch connection. The only other possibility is the pressure switch engages the fans? If you have a leak look at the service ports first, especially the low side as they are notorious for leaking.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a combo low/high pressure switch in the drier. It cuts the power to the clutch if the pressure is too low or too high. I would suspect that you are low on R134a refrigerant. Putting a set of gauges on the car would prove that theory or try adding R134a refrigerant and see if the clutch engages. As to why everything appears to work when you have jumped the clutch my only guess is the power is being back fed to the relays through the clutch connection. The only other possibility is the pressure switch engages the fans? If you have a leak look at the service ports first, especially the low side as they are notorious for leaking.
Thanks.

Interesting though that when it worked last summer it didn't cool either but everything functioned. Added refrig and that took care of it.

So it may be possible that it leaked out more refrig and is lower now than it was last summer before the recharge?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the low pressure switch. Added refrig. and all is "cool" again.

Just surprised that it leaked out more than when it was when I bought it...yet I don't know when the last time they had it recharged.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Get one of those UV detectant R134a, and the UV lights to go with it. I used one on my brothers astro, it will clearly show you where the leak(s) are, which in my case was the all the gaskets in the compressor.
It's well worth fixing the problem rather then to keep filling it upwith R134a, trust me, been there, not fun.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Possibly, but spending roughly $25 for refrig. per summer on a 17 year old car isn't all that bad. Repair work isn't cheap. Even a $500 repair would theoretically give me another 20 years and the car will be long gone before then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts