Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I am ashamed. I went to the dealer to get my cabin filter change. I was charged $36.56 for parts and $63.39 for labor. Never again! The lessons in life we learn now will help us later on in life...

Garden State Honda
RT3
NJ

Honda Accord 2008
EX-V6

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Welcome to DA.

Yes, you got taken, they really should not charge you more than 1/2 hour labor and would have likely done it for free if you had other major work done at the same time, however you have to understand that the labor rate charged at the dealership does not just pay for the technician who performed the job, there are all kinds of overhead costs associated with the hourly rate charged, buidling rent, utility, insurance, salery for other staff, shop equipment, supplies etc. all come out of the hourly rate charge.

The dealership has to make a living, and this is how they do it.

The only way to avoid this is to purchase the filter and then change it yourself.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yes I am ashamed. I went to the dealer to get my cabin filter change. I was charged $36.56 for parts and $63.39 for labor. Never again! The lessons in life we learn now will help us later on in life...
Once bitten, twice shy is the phrase that comes to mind. So, you learned the valuable lesson of paying the dealership for some of the more simple maintenance. They should be ashamed for charging nearly $40 for a $15 filter!

There are plenty of DIYs on here, it's just about how comfortable you are with your hands. But on the 10 wrench difficulty scale, I give the cabin filter a "1" (easiest). You don't need any tools besides your hands! And when you see how easy it is, you'll never go back for another cabin filter change.

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
I don't think your name correctly fits you ..

63 bucks labor .. if I could get paid 63 bucks for a < 2minute job, that would be awesome, 90 bucks man that's like 4 or 5 oil changes.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Garden State Honda
RT3
NJ

Honda Accord 2008
EX-V6

Thats wrong...

·
Registered
104 Posts
We have two Hondas, an 02 Odyssey and an 09 Accord. The Odyssey needs tools to replace the cabin air filter, but tge Accord needs no tools. it is remarkably easy and I doubt any mechanic would take more then 5 minutes to do the job which is why $100 for this service is a crime. Engine air filter is also an easy job but you do need toos for that. That also is just a few minutes to do.

Now changing a timing belt, that's another story!

·
~Sexy Time~
1,264 Posts
haha you live right by me

I go to route 23 honda.. never went back, only did one oil change there since my friend was a tech, but hes at bmw now

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
takes 5 mins to change the filter. I bought the carbon activated one + a can to clean out the HVAC system and it was less then 30 bucks. A hard lesson learned my friend.

·
port & polish everything
1,698 Posts
lol nothing will happen if you don't change it

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Do you do your own oil change too? J35 V6 is super easy because the filter and bolt is all on the right side. Just crank your wheel. Post a thread if you need help.

Yes, you'll make some mistake and maybe make a bit of a mess. That's what we are here for. And trust me, you'll get better and better each time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Don't you ask them about the price first before you tell them to do it?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I don't think your name correctly fits you ..

63 bucks labor .. if I could get paid 63 bucks for a < 2minute job, that would be awesome, 90 bucks man that's like 4 or 5 oil changes.

You win this year's wry post award IMHO, Dan. Well done.

ez

·
Registered
263 Posts
Must be a North Jersey thing.
My car was in for service at DCH Paramus Honda and I mentioned changing the cabin air filter since it was due.
I had done the previous change myself.
The service writer told me that it was normally $119.95 but, because I'm a preferred customer, they would do it for $89.95. The breakdown was $40.00 for the filter and only $49.95 for labor.
She explained to me that they have to remove the entire glovebox and reinstall it afterward.
I told her that I could buy one in her own parts department for $20.00 and install it in less than 5 minutes without removing anything other than the filter so forget it.
I bought the filter for $16 because I had a 20% coupon and put it in my car as soon as they pulled it around to the front door.
I made a point of discarding the old one and the plastic wrapping in the trash can right behind her.
I have since taken to buying aftermarket charcoal filters for an even lower price.

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
Must be a North Jersey thing.
My car was in for service at DCH Paramus Honda and I mentioned changing the cabin air filter since it was due.
I had done the previous change myself.
The service writer told me that it was normally $119.95 but, because I'm a preferred customer, they would do it for $89.95. The breakdown was $40.00 for the filter and only $49.95 for labor.
She explained to me that they have to remove the entire glovebox and reinstall it afterward.
I told her that I could buy one in her own parts department for $20.00 and install it in less than 5 minutes without removing anything other than the filter so forget it.
I bought the filter for $16 because I had a 20% coupon and put it in my car as soon as they pulled it around to the front door.
I made a point of discarding the old one and the plastic wrapping in the trash can right behind her.
I have since taken to buying aftermarket charcoal filters for an even lower price.
Lol preferred customer so we'll only screw you out of 75 bucks. It's funny they try to make it seem like taking the glove box off is a long, tedious job when all you do is unclip this one thing and it drops down enough for you to access the filter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts