Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Accord Coupe 2.3L ULEV that keeps stalling on me. I had the ignition switch replaced and still stalls. It seems to do it a lot in hot weather, like up to 5 times in a 10 mile trip. I checked the main relay with no luck. the salter was not cracked and seemed to be in good condition. My PCV valve is good and clean, I just cleaned out the EGR Valve and still nothing. Looking for any ideas on why it would stall. It doesnt seems to stall in the rain and stalls occasionally in cool weather. Gas cap doesnt release any pressure after stalls and still wont start after I put the cap back on. and the car never misfires, only stalls. I think it might be electrical considering that recently my gauges (tachometer, spedometer and my radio) will all turn off/drop to zero and then climb back up. Yesterday for the first time it actually stalled for a second and then started right back up without a turn of the key or anything. Lately it has been stalling a tremendous amount due to the recent heat. Thanks for any ideas.

here is a video of trying to start the car after it stalled.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I presume no CEL since you did not mention it.
First I would clean the throttle body if you have not done so. The idle air control valve may also need to be cleaned, but its more work to do. There are some threads on these procedures if you are not familiar with them.

If it still stalls after doing those things, you will need to determine if the engine is loosing spark or fuel. To check for spark, pull off a plug wire and see if a spark jumps to ground while someone cranks the engine. No sparks mean an ignition problem. To check for fuel loss, get a can of starting fluid and spray some into the air inlet while someone cranks the engine. If it tries to start then, you probably have a fuel problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually do have a CEL for my primary O2 sensor... i recently replaced it and the light came back on, reading for a vacuum leak and the o2 sensor... Also I dont know if this helps any but when it stalls it ocationally chokes out where you can hear it about to stall and other times the engine just cuts and you cant even notice until you look down.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
What specific codes do you have? There are several related to the primary O2 sensor and vacuum leaks. I would get those problems sorted out first as they may be the cause for the stalling. Did you replace the O2 sensor with a genuine Honda sensor or something else?

·
Registered
247 Posts
You did actually clear the code for the o2 sensor right? If you don't go in and erase it with a scan tool it will come back immediately. But as nehonda said, get that specific code for the vacuum leak first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It tuned out to be the main relay... $62 later... no more stalling... unfortunately the cel came back for the o2 sensor. the code reads for a "lose connection" I dont know what to interperate that as. but I dont think it is the sensor.. Anyone know the cost to rewire the sensor from the clip back to the ecu or wherever it ends?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Glad to hear you found and fixed the relay causing the stalling problem.
There is no "loose conection" code for the O2 sensors. P0135 and P0141 are heater circuit malfunctions for the primary and secondary O2 sensors. Do you have one of those codes? Start by inspecting the sensor connector for dirt/corosion and the wiring for insulation damage. I doubt it needs to be rewired back to the ECM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '98 Accord is doing the same thing and I haven't been able to id the problem. I'm thinking it's electrical but now it may be fuel. How did you determine your problem was the fuel main relay?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a video online showing you how to remove the main relay. And check for cracks in the sauter. but mine wasnt that bad. The resistor was just alittle faded in color. I suppose it was just one of those things you just have to take a look at an hope youre right. I mean if your car is stalling in hot weather and not cold. I would reccomend replacing the main relay. Especially if your gauges drop to zero and its not bucking or anything

1 - 9 of 9 Posts