Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had head resurfaced and cleaned up, and valve job done. But....it all came back to me disassembled. I've looked at the manual and it's pretty vague. I've mounted the head on the block, but I'm in over my head with the cam shaft. Everything was at TDC when removed, so I'm just basically re-assembling in reverse order. The difference is the cam was mounted before and now it's not.

I have the honda manual but from I can find it's very vague. The head is bone dry, I just want to make sure I do this right. Does anyone have a guide or walk through for this?

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
That's not right, the shop should have fully reassembled the cylinder head.

Unfortunately this is not the best way to approach this job unless you know exactly what you needed to do to put everything together, or at least specify the head must be fully assembled when the shop completes the work.

What you should have done was to leave the car with the shop so they are fully responsible to pull the head to do the work, and then put the head back in, start it up so you can tell everything is working properly before you hand over the money.

You may want to pick up either the shop manual or aftermarket manual which contain cylinder rebuild/assembly instructions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I planned this to be a DIY job. I took it all down myself and brought the head to the shop with the intent of re-assembling myself. I have the honda shop manual, I've looked it over many times. It has great instructions for removing the cam, I just didn't want to assume I could simply do it in reverse. So the shop did exactly what I asked them to, it was my poor assumption. It was also something I would have researched ahead of time had I not assumed.

I'm just trying to have fun with this, if I wanted to take car to a shop I would have. I'm really saving little money doing it this way with all the tools I have had to purchase, but I'm enjoying the process. So, thanks for the reply but you didn't really offer me anything.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My Accord service manual (section 6-49) shows the camshaft keyway needs to be facing up for the TDC position. It also has the rocker tightening sequence, seal and pully installation details. I have not worked on mine, but my manual seems to cover it pretty well. Are you using a real Honda Accord factory manual or a generic Haynes manual?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Accord service manual (section 6-49) shows the camshaft keyway needs to be facing up for the TDC position. It also has the rocker tightening sequence, seal and pully installation details. I have not worked on mine, but my manual seems to cover it pretty well. Are you using a real Honda Accord factory manual or a generic Haynes manual?
I do see that. I just was honestly in disbelief that it could be that easy. As well the valve stem gaskets were replaced and "valve service" was performed when the head was resurfaced. In this case, I'm assuming valve adjustment is in order. I'm going to call the shop and confirm what exactly was involved with their valve service before doing anything further.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts