Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1999 Honda Accord EX coupe, and I recently realized two indicator lights on my dashboard were on. The 'maint req' and the 'Malfunction Indicator Lamp'. I've checked the gas cap and it seems to be on tightly. What are the other possible reasons for the Malfunction Indicator Lamp being on? And correct me if I'm wrong, but the maint req light on indicates it's time for an oil change? (sorry, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to cars)

·
01 Accord EX V6
13 Posts
There could be hundreds of reasons besides a gas cap for the check eng light to be on. the Maint reg lght means just that. Time to have some maintance done.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If you are not mechanically inclined you need to take your car to a repair shop to have the problem identified and repair costs estimated. A diagnostic computer is needed to read the trouble code stored in the cars computer.

If you have an owners manual it will tell you how to reset the Maintenance required light which comes on about 7k miles after the last oil change and reset (hopefully).

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
The maintenance light comes on by mileage(like nehonda said every 7k), not by need of maintenance. I.E. I just changed my oil but my maintenance minder will probably start blinking in about 500 miles because I'm almost to 207,000 miles. Sure you may need maintence, but the minder is not diagnostic. It can not and does not read/"measure" your oil.

Call auto parts stores to see if they will read your CEL code for free. Without reading the code you/we have no idea what is wrong with the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts