Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm a single mom with little money for car repairs... I hope someone can help me....

I bought a 1999 Honda Accord back in April. When I went to go look at the car, the owner told me that she had had some overheating issues. She decided to park the car and buy something new (with a warranty). Her boyfriend said he had taken the car and had it "flushed, filled and burped". He said he had been driving it occasionally for about a month and had not had any more issues.

I took the car to my (trusted) mechanic and he said everything seemed fine. He told me to drive the car around for a little while and see if it started to get hot. I drove the car around town for at least 45-60 minutes and never had any issues. I bought the car, and have been driving it daily since April. The temp gauge usually stays around the halfway mark or a little below.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the temp gauge needle rising. My boyfriend added antifreeze and it ran fine.. until yesterday. It started overheating again. I checked the radiator reserve tank and the antifreeze level is between the min & max lines. I also checked the hoses and didn't find any cracks in them.

OTHER INFO: I have read MANY comments, posts, and questions about the fans coming on and off. - I will mention that the driver side fan does not come on unless the AC button is pushed in on the dash. When I push the AC button, both fans come on. Not sure if this matters or not, but the AC does not work in this car (has a leak).

ALSO... I read a comment from someone online that mentioned 'banging on their dash' and noticing the temp gauge needle fluctuating. - I tried this in my car and did notice the needle move down a little, but then right back up.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!
Thank You!!

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Well the good news is, there's only so many reasons a car can overheat.

If the coolant level is adequate and there is no apparent leak, and the car otherwise runs fine, it may be the car's thermostat. It sits in between the radiator and the engine.

The thermostat's job is to block the flow of coolant to the radiator until the engine has warmed up. When the engine is cold, no coolant flows through the engine. Once the engine reaches its operating temperature , the thermostat opens and the coolant begins to circulate.

However, if it fails to open once it is warmed up, then no coolant can circulate through the engine and the car will overheat.

My advice, would be to temporarily remove the thermostat and run it without it (reattaching the hoses first though, of course). If the car stops overheating, then that is the issue. A thermostat is not expensive or hard to replace and can be had at any auto parts store.

If that doesn't work, there are other possibilities, but the above is the most likely IMO.

Go to the link below - this shows the process for the V6 model. You did not say which engine it was, but in any case it should be similar.

Good luck.

·
4,637 Posts
I agree with the t-stat idea. These cars are notorious for developing sticky stats that won't open which causes the overheating. Get an oem version since the aftermarket ones open at higher temperatures than the oem versions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.