Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there- I'm not very car savy and want more information if you guys can help me. This weekend I plan on replacing my old trani with one I just got used. My old trani is DEAD-Gone-Done-KaPut! It was jerking in the beginning but now when it gets hot (after 10 so minutes) I lose reverse, 1st gear, part of 3rd gear, and all of 4th gear. :(

Now I found a used trani at a salvage place for $475 with 60day warranty (Which is supposedly awesome yet Im kinda skeptical of how low priced it was seeing as I was quoted $800+ everywhere else) I'm not sure the mileage on this new one but it appeared in good condition and had all the sensors. (I took a mechanic I could trust with me and he said it was good to go)

Here my thing... This weekend my boyfriend (The mechanic :p ) and his friend is gonna put it in for me. They are used to working on lifted trucks and what not and haven't put in a trani for a FWD car before. Is there anything specifically for a FWD car they need to know? Also in addition to replacing all the seals what else should I replace while we have all that taken apart. Might as well do it now!

THANKS BUNCHES!!!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
This project should be a true test of the relationship (just kidding).

There are several Youtube videos on removing Accord or Acura transmissions that might be helpful to anyone who has never done it before. Pulling the subframe, axles and finding all the attachment bolts can be a challenge.

I expect your mechanics plan on replacing the old torque converter and flushing the cooling lines to remove any metal shavings. I would recommend installing a cooling line filter like a Magnefine while you are doing the swap since these transmissions have no internal filter.

·
Bout it, Bout it
737 Posts
Since the tranny will be off, that would be the perfect time to inspect/replace the rear engine mount and engine seal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts