Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Miles per gallon

1281 - 1300 of 1312 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Then, you'd have to say maximum speed is the "most optimized" speed, as time is more valuable than fuel, or tickets, or the increase in insurance from paying for those tickets as well as burning more fuel. Then, there is also the safety aspect of higher speeds and the greater chance of wasting time recovering from more violent crashes, or, even the chances of using up all your available time if you die in one of those more violent crashes....

OR, we could stay on topic and discuss the 9th generation Honda Accord MPG and "optimized" speed, and we get back to a topic we can actually discuss from a practical standpoint, which is: the Accord MPG value is certainly not "optimized" for maximal MPG at 80 mph.
"Optimized" means a good balance of variety of factors. Max speed would save the most time, but with total disregard to safety, mpg, engine longevity, etc. Driving at max speed would be opposite of optimum. From a practical standpoint, cruising at 80 where speed limit is also 80 gives a good balance between mpg and time. Since on an 80 mph speed limit section of a highway, most traffic moves at or near 80, cruising at the same speed as all other vehicles would maximize the safety for everyone.

·
Registered
590 Posts
"Optimized" means a good balance of variety of factors.
You define what you think is optimum to you. Others have different definitions. No one is more right than another, since Optimum is in the eye of the beholder.

Again, sticking to the theme of the TOPIC of the thread, the Accord isn't "optimized" to get best MPG at 80 mph.

·
HondaNewb
441 Posts
Just recorded my best tank thus far on my 2016 Accord EX-L with the I4 CVT. This was nearly all highway miles. Hand calculated with Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG

I got 41.9MPG on the tank as a whole. I went 621.00 miles and put in 14.823 gallons of fuel, netting a 41.89MPG. My distance till empty showed about 30 miles, but I didn't want to chance it after work getting struck in traffic and running out of fuel. With 3 gallons left, I could have gone about 120 more miles, getting almost 740 on the tank.

My last 10 tanks have averaged 37.2MPG, so this car is extremely consistent for me. Dips in the winter, runs about the same rest of year.

Attachments

Reactions: Blackheart

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member and finally signed up!

I'm happy to report my 2015 Accord V6 EXL (K&N CAI is my only mod) just hit a new record on a 250 mile trip from upstate NY to Connecticut (1100ft elevation to 100ft elevation) a whopping 44MPG!!! Previous record for me was 42mpg over that same trip.

Absolutely love this Car!!! I mainly wanted to share to see if anyone gets this sort of milage. For highway I typically get 36-38mpg on normal highway driving set on cruise.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,795 Posts
Model Year: 2017
V6 or I4: I4
Body Style (coupe/sedan): Sedan
Auto/Manual: Manual

Location/City: Little Rock, AR
Highway Driving %: 5
City Driving %: 95

Highway Cruising Speed: 85-90
Within City Speed Limits? Yes/No: Usually
Stop and Go Traffic-light/moderate/heavy: Moderate

Engine Oil/life: Honda (GHMO) 0W20/85%
Air Filter: OEM
Wheel Size: 19
Tire Air Type: Air
Fuel Octane: 87

Combined observed MPG: 20.3

·
Registered
775 Posts
Model Year:2017
V6 or I4:V6
Body Style (coupe/sedan):Sedan
Auto/Manual:Auto

Location/City:South Florida
Highway Driving %:90
City Driving %:10

Highway Cruising Speed:70
Within City Speed Limits? Yes/No:Yes
Stop and Go Traffic-light/moderate/heavy:Light

Engine Oil/life:100%
Air Filter: Original
Wheel Size:17"
Tire Air Type:Air
Fuel Octane:87

Combined observed MPG:35.5

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am getting between 24-26 mpg combined seems low, but haven’t really kept an eye on it much lately. Works only 5 miles away, but in LA a lot of stop and go guess that’s why. I did drive this morning freeway no traffic and got 27mpg large hill on the freeway, was only 12 miles but thought I should of gotten better.

I4:
sedan):

Auto

Location/City: Los Angeles so cal

Highway Driving %: 50% (405 Dey stop and go)

City Driving %: 50%

Highway Cruising Speed: 65 when I can... lol

Within City Speed Limits? Yes

Stop and Go Traffic-light/moderate/heavy: moderate-heavy

Engine Oil/life: Mobil 1 synthetic 1 month old

Air Filter: mobile 1

Wheel Size: exl sedan stock

Tire Air Type: regular air

Fuel Octane: 87

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Model Year:
2- 2000,2009
Body Style (coupe/sedan): sedans
Both are Manual:

Location/City:
Highway Driving %:70
City Driving %:30

Highway Cruising Speed:+70
Within City Speed Limits? No:
Stop and Go Traffic very seldom.

Engine Oil/life: 3-4000
Air Filter: k&n washable w/ upgraded intake
Wheel Size: 17
Tire Air Type:
Fuel Octane:

Combined observed MPG:#1(2000]_34; #2(2009)-32

·
V6 9th Gen
635 Posts
Anyone wants to share how hungry your engine is. Here is mine

• 2015 Accord V6 @ 70,000 mile
  • Freeway miles avg from 32 to 35 with VCM turned off
  • City around 25

Freeway hx

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Anyone wants to share how hungry your engine is. Here is mine

• 2015 Accord V6 @ 70,000 mile
  • Freeway miles avg from 32 to 35 with VCM turned off
  • City around 25
Freeway hx
View attachment 513382
Why are you only getting less than 30 miles on a tank?

·
Registered
174 Posts
During my road trip from PA to KY, which included experiencing the lovely rolling hills of WV, I averaged 35 mpg.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Post your real world 9th generation Accord MPG numbers. Let's see how it does vs the 8th generation.

Please use the template below.

Model Year:
V6 or I4:
Body Style (coupe/sedan):
Auto/Manual:

Location/City:
Highway Driving %:
City Driving %:

Highway Cruising Speed:
Within City Speed Limits? Yes/No:
Stop and Go Traffic-light/moderate/heavy:

Engine Oil/life:
Air Filter:
Wheel Size:
Tire Air Type:
Fuel Octane:

Combined observed MPG:
Sort of hard to say w/ o specialty equipment, doesn’t have MPG monitor, like my ford probe had. With it had that option. My 2000 accord about 34 mpg, my 2009 about 29 mpg, but put on kn air intake, getting about 32 mpg now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got back from a road trip from central Wisconsin to South Bend, IN. This was the first road trip in the car (2013 EX-L Auto, 38k miles, snow tires on). Hit Friday rush hour passing through Chicago, otherwise cruising around 72-74 MPH. Temps in the low to mid 30's the entire trip.

516.4 miles, 13.501 gallons: 38.25 MPG, Car display said 38.5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone, I seem to be having gas problems with my 2016 Accord Ex. This has actually been going on for the last 6-7 months. I'm getting much lower mpg than when I used to get about a year ago, my car has about 42k miles. Most of the driving I do is highway since I work a half hour from my house, about 19 miles, my usual routine is I drive to work in the morning and the car is parked for about 10 hours before I go home the same route. I'd say about 60% of my driving is highway, but for some reason I'm averaging around 25mpg. I dont know much about cars so I dont know what the issue could be, oil change is up to date, tire pressure is normal since they checked it at the last oil change I did at Honda in January. I live in upstate NY but the gas mileage wasn't as bad as this last year, it was normal with around 32mpg average or more, and I usually fill up my car with 15 gallons. Any help is appreciated.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,684 Posts
What are y'all seeing for MPG's with intake, RV6 PCD, and RV6 resonated mid pipe?
Those mods are not going to significantly change your MPG one way or the other. Wind direction will have more effect.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,795 Posts
I’m struggling to get out of the teens.

There’s no selectable option on the poll for my mpg.

·
Errrr
2014 Honda Accord Sport MSM 6MT
20 Posts
Question for guys with the 6MT. Do you guys leave it in gear and coast to stop, or do you guys put it in neutral when approaching a red light? At what rpms are you guys shifting at? 1500-2000 rpms?
Just picked up a 2014 Sport 6MT and I’ve been doing mostly city/hwy 60/40, and best ive gotten is 577 a tank at 16 gals fill. I do not keep filling after the first click. I see some keep filling it, and one member ended up filling 19+ gallons! How? Is there 2 gallons of tubing attached the 17.2 gal capacity tank? Or does the tank actually hold 19+ gallons?
Anyways thought I’d ask you guys since you all have been at it and its only been 2 weeks since i got this car.

1281 - 1300 of 1312 Posts