Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there been any word if Honda might consider revisiting the V6/6-speed manual package in the 9th gen sedan? I know they did it for a couple of years during the end of the 7th gen, and then discontinued it claiming low sales (though it's hard to get sales when you don't provide very many cars to your dealerships - every dealership I knew of couldn't keep them on the showroom floor).

I had a 7th gen 6MT Accord coupe that I loved but had to part with, and I'd love to get a new 6MT Accord with a V6 and all the bells and whistles, but I need those extra doors and rear seat room. Not to mention that I just think the 9th gen Accord sedan looks very pretty, but the coupe not quite as much.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Has there been any word if Honda might consider revisiting the V6/6-speed manual package in the 9th gen sedan? I know they did it for a couple of years during the end of the 7th gen, and then discontinued it claiming low sales (though it's hard to get sales when you don't provide very many cars to your dealerships - every dealership I knew of couldn't keep them on the showroom floor).

I had a 7th gen 6MT Accord coupe that I loved but had to part with, and I'd love to get a new 6MT Accord with a V6 and all the bells and whistles, but I need those extra doors and rear seat room. Not to mention that I just think the 9th gen Accord sedan looks very pretty, but the coupe not quite as much.
I hope they eventually will offer the V6/6spd manual sedan but I don't hold out much hope for it. You can't even load up the I4 EX-L models with the manual transmission anymore...coupe or sedan.

I've entertained the idea of purchasing the Accord Coupe V6/6spd manual but like you the 2 door coupe body style just seems impractical to me.

I've moved on...just put in an order for a new Fusion SE 1.6t/6spd manual transmission loaded with every option including navigation.

In a few years when the loan is paid off, I'll opt for something less practical, like a 6th gen Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost.

I know that the market for uplevel midsize sedans with manual transmissions is dying but I'm glad to know that Honda, Ford, Mazda and to some extent VW and Subaru still offer drivers the option of a manual tranny in mid-to uplevel trims.

The Fusion just fits the bill best for me and has become my choice.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I doubt it. I'd say by the next gen the auto becomes a CVT "one size fit all" in the V6 and the manual will just be totally gone from the lineup.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I doubt it. I'd say by the next gen the auto becomes a CVT "one size fit all" in the V6 and the manual will just be totally gone from the lineup.
Perhaps, but I really hope not. Honda makes some of the best sticks on the road today (that's not just my opinion, read any car magazine reviewing a manual Honda or Acura and they'll say basically the same thing). I know that there are newer options out there that even perform better, like CVTs or dual-clutch setups. But there's just nothing quite as engaging for my money as shifting for yourself. And I mean really shifting for yourself, not hitting a switch that tells the car when to do it for you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope they eventually will offer the V6/6spd manual sedan but I don't hold out much hope for it. You can't even load up the I4 EX-L models with the manual transmission anymore...coupe or sedan.

I've entertained the idea of purchasing the Accord Coupe V6/6spd manual but like you the 2 door coupe body style just seems impractical to me.

I've moved on...just put in an order for a new Fusion SE 1.6t/6spd manual transmission loaded with every option including navigation.

In a few years when the loan is paid off, I'll opt for something less practical, like a 6th gen Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost.

I know that the market for uplevel midsize sedans with manual transmissions is dying but I'm glad to know that Honda, Ford, Mazda and to some extent VW and Subaru still offer drivers the option of a manual tranny in mid-to uplevel trims.

The Fusion just fits the bill best for me and has become my choice.
The Fusion is very pretty, especially with that Aston Martin wannabe grill. But I have had really bad experiences with Ford products and promised myself a long time ago I wouldn't make that mistake ever again.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I am willing to bet that the V6 is gone from the Accord in the 10th gen. Most cars in its class have already started moving away from V6s as well.

If this happens I hope on top of hope that they will make a 4-Cyl/M6 option available across the board again.

Jay

·
It's a Coupe or nothing
213 Posts
The Fusion is very pretty, especially with that Aston Martin wannabe grill. But I have had really bad experiences with Ford products and promised myself a long time ago I wouldn't make that mistake ever again.
Fords aren't bad cars. Unions keep the prices higher than should be. Fusion is a assume looking 4 door. I on the other hand have had very good experience with FORDS, just don't like the politics of unions! So I won't buy based on this HOPE and CHANGE crap.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Fords aren't bad cars. Unions keep the prices higher than should be. Fusion is a assume looking 4 door. I on the other hand have had very good experience with FORDS, just don't like the politics of unions! So I won't buy based on this.
I think I understand your view on unions. I know they are destructive of productivity in many ways.

As far as keeping prices high - well management will have folks working for 5 cents a day if they can. This destroys families and the tax base. It ends with jobs being sent overseas.

If you have had good experience with Fords, why not consider the brand? Are you against other people from making a decent wage?

·
It's a Coupe or nothing
213 Posts
I think I understand your view on unions. I know they are destructive of productivity in many ways.

As far as keeping prices high - well management will have folks working for 5 cents a day if they can. This destroys families and the tax base. It ends with jobs being sent overseas.

If you have had good experience with Fords, why not consider the brand? Are you against other people from making a decent wage?
They don't make coupes! That decent wage comes from greedy pensions that no one else gets, Honda/Toyota pay well and make a BETTER car. Humm. Enough of politics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
134 Posts
You should have hanged onto your g7 car. Honda is a quite stubborn company. RWD or V8 option in Acuras? Never. Import Civic or Integra Type-R to America? Never. And people were asking for that for a long time. You can surely find plenty of other examples.

The American division doesn't really care about people who drive MT cars. Witness the drab color selections on the 6MT cars. The coupes can be only black, except the V6 coupe which adds red and MSM. Sport can be MSM or Black. The EX sedan adds silver color only. Want a red car with 6MT? Only V6 Coupe is the option. Want a silver car? Buy EX with 4 doors. The same went on with some other cars in the past, with S2000 supposedly not available in the same colors in America that were offered abroad. If Honda can't be bothered to add a couple of color options, even though the same cars are available in Canada with more colors, I really doubt that they will be getting out of their way to bring a 6MT to V6 models. To be fair, no mainstream company offers a mid-size sedan with V6 engine or a premium turbo-4 and 6MT. Among luxury brands, there are some options, like BMW 328i or Cadillac CTS.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fords aren't bad cars. Unions keep the prices higher than should be. Fusion is a assume looking 4 door. I on the other hand have had very good experience with FORDS, just don't like the politics of unions! So I won't buy based on this HOPE and CHANGE crap.
The UAW worker benefits are probably now in line with those of non-union American plants. The Ford union contracts were renegotiated in the recent years to bring the benefits in line with the GM and Chrysler workers, since those companies renegotiated contracts while under bankruptcy protection. Ford also has quite a bit of production capacity in Mexico, where the wages are much lower, even though there are unions there too. The Japanese transplants may have a cost advantage, but not very significant.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should have hanged onto your g7 car. Honda is a quite stubborn company. RWD or V8 option in Acuras? Never. Import Civic or Integra Type-R to America? Never. And people were asking for that for a long time. You can surely find plenty of other examples.

The American division doesn't really care about people who drive MT cars. Witness the drab color selections on the 6MT cars. The coupes can be only black, except the V6 coupe which adds red and MSM. Sport can be MSM or Black. The EX sedan adds silver color only. Want a red car with 6MT? Only V6 Coupe is the option. Want a silver car? Buy EX with 4 doors. The same went on with some other cars in the past, with S2000 supposedly not available in the same colors in America that were offered abroad. If Honda can't be bothered to add a couple of color options, even though the same cars are available in Canada with more colors, I really doubt that they will be getting out of their way to bring a 6MT to V6 models. To be fair, no mainstream company offers a mid-size sedan with V6 engine or a premium turbo-4 and 6MT. Among luxury brands, there are some options, like BMW 328i or Cadillac CTS.
Above is the truth! crazy how everything is controlled but Honda must be happy with the funds that they are currently making. I wanted White EX-L w/ Black interior not possible wanted Blue EX-L w/ Black interior nope so went for 3rd option Black on black.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would say there is a good chance there wont be a manual transmission offered with a V6 in the sedan. The Accord is one of only a couple sedans in the category to even offer a manual transmission at all. I think the total take on the manuals is less than 5%. It probably does not make sense for Honda to offer it. I think the Fusion and Mazda 6 are the only others?

As far as the Accord not having a V6 option in the future? Who knows. Right now, the V6 is holding its own when it comes to fuel efficiency and performance compared to the competitors turbo 4's. I prefer a V6 over a turbo 4 any day. Although Honda does have a new line of turbo charged 4 cyl's in the pipeline. It probably comes down to fuel economy and cost. Which engine costs more to build, the V6 or turbo 4?

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
That would stink

I would say there is a good chance there wont be a manual transmission offered with a V6 in the sedan. The Accord is one of only a couple sedans in the category to even offer a manual transmission at all. I think the total take on the manuals is less than 5%. It probably does not make sense for Honda to offer it. I think the Fusion and Mazda 6 are the only others?

As far as the Accord not having a V6 option in the future? Who knows. Right now, the V6 is holding its own when it comes to fuel efficiency and performance compared to the competitors turbo 4's. I prefer a V6 over a turbo 4 any day. Although Honda does have a new line of turbo charged 4 cyl's in the pipeline. It probably comes down to fuel economy and cost. Which engine costs more to build, the V6 or turbo 4?
There was a news release cited here about the new Turbo 4cyl that Honda had developed. It would make sense that this would take over for the V6. However I have a question - will the Odyssey and Ridgeline move to a Turbo 4 too? Or will Honda continue to make the V6 engine? If the latter, then they might offer the V6 option.

It may not be a representative sample, but it sure seems like there are a lot of V6 buyers on this forum at least.....seems the V6 is still a popular model.....

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts

None of the manufacturers care much about trying to sell manual transmission cars in the U.S. You can't even get a Porsche Panamera with manual trans now, which to me is just a sin. Bottom line is if there isn't enough interest from the buying public, it doesn't make financial sense to do it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
None of the manufacturers care much about trying to sell manual transmission cars in the U.S. You can't even get a Porsche Panamera with manual trans now, which to me is just a sin. Bottom line is if there isn't enough interest from the buying public, it doesn't make financial sense to do it.
I can understand Panamera. It is a big top of the line luxury car competing with S-Class and 7-Series. It's inappropriate to shift gears like a truck driver in those cars. Manual shifters are still going away even in sports cars, but sports cars now come with a quick shifting DSG transmission that was designed to be fully manually controlled, when necessary. VW puts that into most of its cars now, including Passat V6. I'd have no problem with that, though I might miss the ability to do 2nd to 6th gear upshift out of sequence. Some people like the third pedal, but I simply like to be in the "right" gear instead of what automatic selected.

·
Registered
134 Posts
One interesting alternative to look at is Acura TL AWD with 6MT. It has 300HP V6 engine, and handles like RWD car because AWD system gives more bias to the rear wheels. Size about the same as Accord. One big bummer is the MSRP, about 44 grand. However, 2014 will be the last year of TLs production before TLX takes over. Perhaps the dealers will be able to cut nice deals in the second half of 2014 to get rid of the "old" TL inventory?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts