Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
What part did your mechanic install? -A04?

:(

Is your car battery newer? An old battery may cause issues with the starter too.

I have an AGM battery that exceeds specs of the OEM one. I got it on sale. It was a Die Hard but I am not sure about the size

·
CT2J35
12 Posts
Yes Sir, I ordered the newest version A-04 personally and had him put it in.

Yep. Battery was the first thing I replaced. It's a little over a year old and has about 12k mi on it. I've checked the CCA and amps everything checks out too. ?

·
CT2J35
12 Posts
It's all good McClean, appreciate your input. I'm confident someone, somewhere will know what's up. Just hope it's not ungodly expensive or something that's gonna make me get rid of the car. I don't want to, love this V6. Would love to mate it to the ILX's dual clutch, or I found somewhere on here long ago slightly re-doing the throttle maps to bring this baby to life?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ya this was my finding as well. It seems as though the law firm kinda screwed the pooch on this class action.

My car Is at the dealership today getting looked at or "diagnosed" if you will. I'll let everyone know what they say but considering their TSB says to replace the torque converter as a next step I'm guessing that will be their conclusion.
What did car dealer say?. Do you have to replace the torque converter? I replaced the old starter with A04 starter. 4 months later I started having the same grinding noise.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What did car dealer say?. Do you have to replace the torque converter? I replaced the old starter with A04 starter. 4 months later I started having the same grinding noise.
Exactly why I'm hesitant to do the TSB and I'm hoping they put out an 05 version.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Haven't logged into this site in over 2 years. Finally did and noticed I had a few messages related to this topic. Figure I should help others out.

Attached is the TSB related to this issue. Take this and car to Honda and they will resolve. The individuals at Honda likely aren't aware of this TSB so they will not realize this needs to be done to fix the problem. TSB 16-002.

Discussion with in-depth detail: 2013 Accord Coupe V6 EX-L Ignition or Starter Issues

Attachments

Reactions: RickBlaine

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a 2015 V6 and haven’t had starter problems nor have I had the car in to address this TSB. Since I checked the Honda owners website and this is not a recall would Honda fix this issue on my car since it is out of warranty?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I believe TSB fixes are free while vehicle is still under warranty, else you have to eat the cost of parts and labor.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In that case I hope my starter doesn’t have any trouble since I’m sure paying for that repair at the dealer would be very pricey!

Does this mean that every Accord vin covered in this TSB will be affected and have to be repaired at some point in its life?

·
Registered
391 Posts
With as many of the cars that have had trouble with this, why doesn’t Honda issue a recall for this?

Maybe not an immediate safety issue but aren’t recalls ever done for anything other than safety reasons?

·
Registered
391 Posts
So you think this is a safety issue ?
No, I never said it’s a safety issue. My point is that Honda can issue recalls on things other than just safety. This is a functional issue with many of these cars and as an upstanding company, Honda should issue a recall and repair/replace parts and labor for free.

·
Registered
999 Posts
They can, but they won't. This goes not just for Honda, but for other manufacturers as well. Although, Lexus did issue a recall on cracking dashboards, which can be tied into a safety category.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So are you saying that most automakers generally only issue recalls for safety-related items and not for mechanical/electrical problems even when these problems affect a large number of their cars? If that is the case then that stinks. This starter/torque converter issue is an expensive repair that a lot of people may have trouble paying for. The reason they buy a Honda in the first place is because of the supposed good engineering and reliability.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord coupe EX-L V6
40 Posts
I bit the bullet and purchased a re-manufactured transmission from Honda Parts Network for $274 ($75 core charge not included). I had my mechanic install the starter and rotate the torque converter one bolt hole. Haven't been doing a lot of driving because of COVID-19 lockdown, but the few times I did drive, there had been no bad starts. The starts actually sound smoother and more fluid now. My car had the -A02 starter. I replaced it with an -A04. Will update you folks with any bad starts or issues.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts