Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months I have been deciding on which v6 Honda accord to buy. I decided to do this review not only to share my experience driving the different trim levels but also to perhaps help people here on the forum have an easier time choosing the car that is right for them. This will be a more performance oriented review as the car I am looking for is essentially a good combination of power, practicality, efficiency most importantly reliability. I am also looking at potentially getting the 2012 6-6 V6 accord but for sake of comparison I will not be comparing the 8th gen accord. (All runs were made with traction control off and eco mode off). Transmission when automatic was set to sport on all runs during my test drives.

1. 2014 Honda Accord V6 sedan four door
Automatic no paddle shift. Review

The four door honda Accord was unsurprisingly the most practical of the three, offering four door practicality and was perhaps the smoothest of the bunch. In terms of performance the automatic was well...automatic. It offered smooth shifts however in terms of extracting the most out of the engine it tended to offer slow and relaxing shifts not to mention it felt like it would drop out of v-tec for a moment on most shifts. The power delivery on the car was again also smooth, but if a fun driving experience is what you are after then you might want to look else where. The car also didn't feel very powerful or eager to go. It seems to back up the claims from owners that this car does about a 14.8 @ 96 mph stock. It just felt very relaxed and for me that just didn't cut it.

2. Honda Accord V6 Coupe 2 door automatic with paddle shift

This was the car I wanted to impress me the most. Reason i say this is because as much as I absolutely love driving cars with a manual trans, I think that this car "looks" like it goes better with an automatic. So naturally I was hoping for the auto with paddle shifters to offer up at least a similar level of control that the manual transmission offered. Unfortunately I was disappointed. The paddles are mounted to the steering wheel as apposed to being mounted behind the steering wheel like on the gtr or evo x. What that means is that it's a full time job to not only keep an eye on whether or not the trans actually shifted when you pressed the paddle, but also finding the proper paddle when the steering wheel is anything but straight! Then there is the next problem....shifting speed. While I realize that this is not a dual clutch trans, the shifts feel like they take at least a full second! From the time you press the upshift paddle you almost have time to read a novel. You essentially have to estimate shifts and hope you don't bang off the rev limiter. When it comes to fun factor, the car does feel a bit more nimble than the four door. Feels like the power gets to the wheels a bit more than the four door as well. Not to far off from "feeling" as powerful as the six speed manual. I guess the biggest problem was that I wanted this car to offer more control. And one more gripe about the paddle shift mode was that first gear could not be held....essentially making most stoplight exits in bottom of second gear.....terrible for powering through a corner. Unfortunately it is best to stay out of paddle mode in this one. For that reason its a pass for me.

3. 2014 Honda Accord 2 door V6 Six speed manual

Last but definitely not least is the six speed manual. Fantastic car. It offers all of the things that makes the other models really nice (interior, nav, backup camera, sun roof ect.) but with a precise clutch, smooth shifter and fun power delivery. While I did say that I wouldn't compare it to the 8th gen six speed manual car, I will mention that the 2014 didn't feel as eager as the 2012 8th gen 6-6 I drive. However there could be a few reasons for this. One the temp outside was very hot 84 degrees (Illinois) and the car was most likely running on 87 pump gas. Heat plus shit gas equals slower car. But with that being said...if you are a performance oriented buyer this should be the only choice. The shifter feels much better and more connected to the car than the 8th gen 6 speed, making this car not a bad track car. Power felt a bit better than the 2 door paddle shift auto but most of that can be attributed to the ability to hold gears and hold 1st gear to red line and shorter gearing in the manual.

I hope this review was helpful and if you guys have some questions I will gladly answer them! Over all though after considering all kinds of cars from the evo x to the wrx and all kinds of other cars im impressed that the honda accord six-six v6 is most likely my next car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I drove a 2014 V6 manual coupe for a few months and then, due to paint issues, the car was basically a lemon so dealer swapped my car. As I was already tiring of manual shifting, I chose a 2014 V6 automatic coupe on the swap. So I had months of run time on each.

For me personally, the automatic is much sweeter. Shifting gets old quick in traffic. Auto also gets much better gas mileage on highways due to VCM and different gearing. Auto is very fast and I cannot discern the difference in acceleration between the two. I use sport mode sometimes, including paddle shifters. Those shifts are very quick - quicker than a manual shift on prior coupe. But the few times I use sport mode, I typically don't go into full manual mode and just enjoy letting the car hold the gear longer. When in drive, the paddles shifters are useful once in a while to temporarily downshift. It's a simple, elegant approach that offers nice additional control over the transmission. I consider myself very fortunate to have had the opportunity to drive both the manual and auto V6 coupes for many months and know that I was able to end up with the one right for me.

I am very curious with the 2016 refresh how the 9 speed automatic transmission will feel relative to 6 speed automatic (assuming rumors are true on that change to ZF's hardware for accord). The 6 automatic feels so good now that it will be interesting to see how ZF's transmission compares. I'd be tempted to take a test drive but I don't want the headache of dealing with sales.

·
Elvira
3,679 Posts
Reactions: StevieD

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have to agree about driving in traffic. If someone sits in a lot of traffic every day then the auto is a great choice. I would have to disagree about quick shifts in the automatic. Everyone has a different definition of quick lol but i wouldn't call the trans in the v6 auto quick. Depends on how someone can row gears I guess.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I can't believe that they will give you a 9 speed in an Accord but only a 6 speed in an RDX. Some early reviews on the Pilot prefer the 6 speed. Seems like 9 speeds are too much shifting, might as well have a CVT.

It's a no brainer that the best one time experience would come from option 3 but IMO a sedan with paddle shifters would be nice for holding gears but that's about it. I just don't think right now that there is a better 30k 6 cylinder sedan out there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Might want to read this article

ZF 9-speed Automatic Problems Mount, Chrysler Releases Third Update for Cherokee - News - Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Some mention of using it in the Acura near the end.

This one explains the Dog Clutch system and how the 9HP handles it

ZF's 9-Speed 9HP Transmission Puts Dog Clutches On The Leash - The Truth About Cars

If folks think the 6 speed auto in the Accord shifts way too much or at the wrong time, wait til they use the 9 speed.
I had previously read those links. It's a new transmission so the car companies claim kinks are getting worked out. They claim they are related to software programming, not mechanical. I've read the Acura forum where those users comment on their experiences with the 9 speed automatic. Many of them love it and didn't experience the problems decribed elsewhere. Maybe they have latter versions of the software for that ZF transmission. Some of those users claim it's a sporty feel.

It would be insightful if the OP could revisit this thread in a few months and add a fourth option for the 9 speed automatic in the 2016 Accord V6. That might be really interesting to see how that fairs against his performance-centric evaluations of those other transmissions. In particular, how does a 9 speed automatic in sport mode compare against the 6 speed manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts