Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question that I had on my mind, do you go out of your way when you are in need of gasoline because the tanker truck is filling at your station? This seems to be not much as of concern as it has been in the past but this happened to me today. Call me a worry wart and whatnot but you do have to agree that some sediment is being stirred up due to the force of fueling. When I was done fueling I saw the tanker hidden being the building:headbash:

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Call me a worry wart and whatnot but you do have to agree that some sediment is being stirred up due to the force of fueling. When I was done fueling I saw the tanker hidden being the building:headbash:
It's not an issue

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It's not an issue
Probably not, because I guess gas stations have filters in the lines for the pumps. But if I see the tanker refueling the station and there is another station across the street that is clean, has a brand I like to buy and doesn't have a tanker there, and is charging the same price, I'll go across the street.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
The pump has a filter on it. Your car has a filter on it. I think that's more than sufficient protection. I'd be doubtful there's much "sediment" in the holding tank anyways.

This also isn't a 9G specific question so there's other more appropriate sections.

·
Banned
905 Posts
Just a question that I had on my mind, do you go out of your way when you are in need of gasoline because the tanker truck is filling at your station? This seems to be not much as of concern as it has been in the past but this happened to me today. Call me a worry wart and whatnot but you do have to agree that some sediment is being stirred up due to the force of fueling. When I was done fueling I saw the tanker hidden being the building:headbash:
No, I don't. That is silly.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Only thing in particular I watch is whether it's a Top Tier Gas station since owner's manual suggests to stick to them. Mostly to avoid warranty shenanigans if anything related pops up.

Really wish Gas Buddy had a filter for it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just do Shell or Chevron only and call it it day.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Don't worry..all that loaded fuel is going directly to a storage tank. It goes truck unload>Transfer pump>storage tank>Service pump>service tank(ready fuel)>service filter>gas pump.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I never worry about that. I have thought what if some "charge" goes off and the tanker explodes just as I get out.

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
Even if sediment in the tank was being mixed around, I can't see it as a bad thing.

The way I see it, sediment is likely to collect at the bottom of the tank, guess where the pump is located to transfer gas from the tank to the service pump? The bottom of the tank.

It's just old urban legend...

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Only thing in particular I watch is whether it's a Top Tier Gas station since owner's manual suggests to stick to them. Mostly to avoid warranty shenanigans if anything related pops up.

Really wish Gas Buddy had a filter for it.
Although Honda recommends Top Tier gas, I sometimes purchase gas at Kroger or Costco to save a few cents. I have been using fuel from them in my 2000 Accord and in my wife's 07 Fit for years with no problems. However, I usually fill up my 9th gen Accord at Quick Trip, which is a Top Tier gas station since the difference in price is usually about a penny a gallon.

I have bought fuel while the tanker truck is filling the underground tanks with no problems because of filters.

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do. And it's not just settlement and other crap floating around and being stired up. There's water from condensation and if the tanks are still steel like Many of older places around here, possible ground water. I removed several tanks from gas stations at my old job and what I saw inside them was Enough for me to drive a few more miles and find one that isn't being refilled. What we pumped out of a few of those tanks couldn't even be lit with a lighter. Not exactly what you want to put through a motor.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
I buy my gas at Costco and there's so many cars buying gas there at any given time that there's no time for any sediment to settle...I hope.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Call me crazy, but I keep going. I also fill up in the morning before it gets too hot. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp
You...do realize your link is attacking those claims, right?

Even if the temperature/volume issue were a real and significant one, one has to consider the amount of savings to be gleaned from such a scheme. Assuming that a motorist typically bought 15 gallons of gasoline per week at $4.00 per gallon, and assuming that by carefully choosing to fill up at a particular time of day said consumer could realize a 1% savings, we calculate the total savings to be gleaned over the course of a year at about $31. Would that reward really be worth the potential inconvenience of adhering to a rigid fill-up schedule week after week?

·
No Gears, Got CVT :)
551 Posts
I do because my father did. I don't know if it's necessary but either I go to the next station or just wait till the next day.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I’m one of those who does not get gas if the tanker is pumping fuel. Valid or not, I follow the 15 minute rule. I don’t trust the stations’ filters to trap all the extra sediment. My previous car had direct injection, which to me warranted even greater concern. The high-pressure fuel-injection nozzle in a DI engine is extremely narrow, like the width of human hair. It doesn’t take much to clog that. To me, driving to the next station is a small inconvenience to pay for peace of mind.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Huh, interesting, never heard this before. I am pretty sure that filters would work just fine. I will worry about this for the next Lamborghini. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts