Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the 9th gen has been out for 7 years, I'd like to hear from owners how your paint has held up. Specifically from those that don't have the luxury of garaging your vehicle. I am looking to replaced my wifes Jetta and that paint has been pretty solid. I have heard stories and seen pictures of peeling paint around the rear window, bubbled paint on the hood and general complaints about "soft" paint on these 9th gens. I am looking at the Modern Steel Metallic color as the top contender.

So owners, how is your paint after all these years?

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,080 Posts
If the color you are referring to is the grey that I have, the paint sucks. I have bare metal, with some light rust, on the creases on my hood. I'm sure that there are other problems area too along the edges.

My car is not garaged.

I am not counting paint chips....

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have exposed metal on the "creases of hood"? Did the paint just flake off exposing metal? Could you snap some pics? That would be super helpful!

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,080 Posts
You have exposed metal on the "creases of hood"? Did the paint just flake off exposing metal? Could you snap some pics? That would be super helpful!
I'll try and get you something soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,404 Posts
If the color you are referring to is the grey that I have, the paint sucks. I have bare metal, with some light rust, on the creases on my hood. I'm sure that there are other problems area too along the edges.

My car is not garaged.
You have exposed metal on the "creases of hood"? Did the paint just flake off exposing metal?
@stiller fan has 400K miles on his car. That wear is consistent with long highway miles.

The paint is soft on Hondas in general, so yes the paint will scratch and swirl easily. Proper washing can prevent a lot of that. My car is always outside, exposed to the elements, and I don’t have unusual wear on my paint. Mine is black as well that shows any and all imperfections. The worst thing is water spotting over time, but you won’t notice those much on silver paint.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
870 Posts
I have 100k on my 2013 Acoord that I bough back in October of 2012 and the paint has been flawless except for a few paint chips which has nothing to do with the quality. Color is Black.

·
Registered
2015 EXVL Coupe w/Navi
164 Posts
2015 San Marino with 41k miles - paint looks new aside from normal wear and tear (chips) and I assume it's always been garaged.

Japanese paint typically has a softer clear coat and Germans typically have a harder clear that is thicker. Zymol makes a special wax, Japon, which is formulated for the soft clearcoat.

-Eric

·
Registered
2014 Honda Accord EX 4-6 MSM
85 Posts
I have a MSM ‘14 with ~110k. Paint is great. Rock chips from highway driving on hood and bumper, small scuff from some animal with horns at a drive-through safari. Otherwise, looks fresh. My car is kept outside and I wash/detail/wax it regularly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the steel grey metallic on my '17 HAH w/80K; always garaged with PPF on hood, lights, bumpers, mirrors.
I notice really tiny pin prick rust spots on the trunk in places.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 EXVL Coupe w/Navi
164 Posts
I have the steel grey metallic on my '17 HAH w/80K; always garaged with PPF on hood, lights, bumpers, mirrors.
I notice really tiny pin prick rust spots on the trunk in places.

The small rust spots could be surface rust created as the metallic material from your brakes settles on your clear and rusts.

Very common and easy to spot on white paint - clay bar easily removes.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
9th g paint is worse than 8th, better than 10th. Paint gets thinner. True for almost all manufacturers. I have heard complaints from owners of Mazda, Subaru, Mitsu, BMW, Acura, Ford.

Bottom line is you have to keep your paint waxed. Especially if the car is exposed to elements. Otherwise it is will fade under the sun. If you let your clear coat dry, it can crack and peel easier. There is no other way around it. If you care about the paint, you have to wax it. You worry about not having a garage, but most garage owners who drive a Honda work for a living, and drive their cars to work, where many of them are parked outside during the day. Only garaged during evening hours. When there is little or no sun out anyway.

I imagine there are some of you out there thinking "Well, a friend of mine has a Porsche, and the paint is still in excellent condition." I am also aware that a Rolls Royce has a reputation for excellent paint quality. But let's get real here, painting a Rolls Royce probably costs more than the used Honda the op is in the market for.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The small rust spots could be surface rust created as the metallic material from your brakes settles on your clear and rusts.

Very common and easy to spot on white paint - clay bar easily removes.

-Eric

Unfortunately it's not; its on the vertical of the trunk and I clay yearly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Many have complained about the paint peeling around the rear window with the white color on the gen 9 models. I noticed mine was peeling a tiny bit before it was totaled two months ago in an accident. As others have said, paint quality in generally has gotten worse due to environmental concerns and likely cost-cutting. The paint on my 1998 Camry looked great even when I traded it in when it was eight years old and over 120,000 miles. The paint quality on my wife's 2007 Camry is meh- nothing great nothing horrible. The paint quality on my 2016 Accord was bad. I haven't noticed anything with my 2019 Accord yet- but it is only about a month old with about 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord coupe EX-L V6
39 Posts
My black Accord coupe still looks pretty good. A few rock chips here and there. Car is not garaged in the southern CA sun. I do clay twice a year with paste wax after. Wash monthly with liquid wax after.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,404 Posts
A paint correction followed by a regimen of HydroSilex offers good results.

·
Registered
2015 EXVL Coupe w/Navi
164 Posts
Unfortunately it's not; its on the vertical of the trunk and I clay yearly.

Typically I see this on the lower door panels and the rear of the trunk as you mentioned.

Seems that turbulence created by the vehicle causes the metal particles to stick to the rear of the trunk, bumper and hatch on a SUV.

-Eric

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Now that the 9th gen has been out for 7 years, I'd like to hear from owners how your paint has held up. Specifically from those that don't have the luxury of garaging your vehicle. I am looking to replaced my wifes Jetta and that paint has been pretty solid.

'14 Accord here, modern steel metallic, bought used about 3 and a half months ago, 62K miles. Not garaged.
The paint so far, is what I'd expect, with no signs of deterioration....and the clear coat is still glossy.
I do about 33 highway miles each way, to work, so I'm sure as the miles add up I'll see the typical "road rash" on the front of the hood and bumpers...
I may decide to have the "Autobahn" or similar film put on. Haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

I'm actually surprised to hear your comment about VW's paint, because many VW owners complain about it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The paint job on my 2013 V6 Modern Steel Metallic Paint is in very good condition, no flaking or clear coat issues. I wash my car maybe one a month, I put wax/sealant on twice a year. I also remove bird poop from my car as soon as possible. Purchased brand new in October 2013 and have 78K miles today.

However, the clear coat on my drivers side headlamp is peeling which sucks...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts