Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I always put a PPF on the headlights and front as soon as I roll off the lot; headlights will look brand new for the life of the car (had to get them redone after going in for burned out DRL replacements).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,080 Posts
@stiller fan has 400K miles on his car. That wear is consistent with long highway miles.
I disagree with that. If it was consistent with the mileage, it should have spread, dont you think?

Furthermore, it was like that 200k miles ago, if not longer. I'll update my post with the hood edges here soon, if I remember...
20200620_071945.jpg
20200620_071950.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,404 Posts
I mean, I would expect that on a car with 200K or 300K or more.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have MSM on my 2016 with 40k and the paint is pretty much flawless but she's more or less a garage queen. A few minor rock chips that are very hard to see, they look the same as the flecks in the paint.

My brother's SO has a 2015 in black and it is not well taken care of and is not garaged. She's got some scratches not caused by poor quality paint but overall the car still looks good when clearn. In my opinion the 9th Gen is better quality than the previous gens....

I had a 2006 in black and despite my best efforts, it developed clear coat failure on the roof at the same age as the 2015 is now (Barely 6 years old) so to me that indicates the quality is at least marginally better. I had a coworker with the same 2006 and he had peeling clear that looked nearly identical to mine so there were definitely some factory flaws.

·
Registered
86 Posts
2014 orchid white. Peeling all around the back window
I have this exact issue, same yr and color. In my case, not quite all over, just in the middle of each side. IMO, its a perfect storm of lack of drainage caused by moisture retained by some debris, at a paint seam/end, where no wax/sealant can protect.

I have always kept the areas as clear as possible to obviously no avail. I'll try and post pics later. No garage in my case but regular waxing and sealing has been carried out but as mentioned above, it cannot get into that area. I have zero complaints otherwise. I agree with the general sense of paint being incrementally worse, regardless of manufacturer. Our weather brings all kinds of things out over time...

I have no idea what to do with this. I will start to go to a couple of trusted painters and see. Ideally, I'd like to remove the rear window and beef up each side somehow.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,080 Posts
I mean, I would expect that on a car with 200K or 300K or more.
I would expect it on the edges of the metal, not where it is on the hood.

I do have rust along the edges as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now that the 9th gen has been out for 7 years, I'd like to hear from owners how your paint has held up. Specifically from those that don't have the luxury of garaging your vehicle. I am looking to replaced my wifes Jetta and that paint has been pretty solid. I have heard stories and seen pictures of peeling paint around the rear window, bubbled paint on the hood and general complaints about "soft" paint on these 9th gens. I am looking at the Modern Steel Metallic color as the top contender.

So owners, how is your paint after all these years?
The paint on my 14 accord has been fine - there's one scratch I've had near the gas tank but I think that was my own fault. I've had it since new - it's been garaged for the most part until 2 years ago where I started leaving it at school where it would sit in a open parking lot for 6 days straight.

·
Registered
2015 EXVL Coupe w/Navi
164 Posts
Seems to be a trend with some of the paint concerns - has anyone worked with their local dealer or called Honda directly?
Honda extended the warranty on Civics as well as 2014-2015 Accords (specific colors) so they may offer assistance.

-Eric

2014-2015 Accord paint warranty extensions to 7 years unlimited miles

·
Registered
86 Posts
Seems to be a trend with some of the paint concerns - has anyone worked with their local dealer or called Honda directly?
Honda extended the warranty on Civics as well as 2014-2015 Accords (specific colors) so they may offer assistance.

-Eric

2014-2015 Accord paint warranty extensions to 7 years unlimited miles
Thanks for this Eric. I wasn't aware of the extended warranty on those 2 colors. I'm in the right year, wrong affected color (WOP)...and wrong country to boot. However, I will go to a local dealer, printout in hand and gently approach the situation and see what can be done. My pic is attached and matches with the ones in the US TSB.
IMG_0966.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
2015 EX Alabaster Silver. Bought with 145,000 miles 3 months ago. No paint blemish when I bought it. In last month, 3 paint bubbles on edge of hood at base of windshield. One about 1/4 diameter. Two are about 1/2 diameter. No apparent previous body damage at hood. I popped one and touched up. Haven't gotten to the other two, yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
altho I don't have a 9th gen honda , my 03 Accord coup is wearing well , I have it in the paint shop as we speak.
I believe most manufacturers have switched to water based paint ( enviorment friendly ) what makes me mad is you can go to any junk yard & check the paint on those cars left out in the elements day after day and the paint will buff right out like new .
i would like to see the american public file a class action law suit against all the auto manufacturers to get them to correct this problem area . what say you ?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i would like to see the american public file a class action law suit against all the auto manufacturers to get them to correct this problem area . what say you ?
Such a lawsuit would be worth to me less than the paper it is printed on. Class action lawsuits give the suffering class a few peanuts while making the law firms rich.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '13 MSM with 113k on it bought brand new. The paint is pretty much flawless with the exception of a few chips on the hood from the highway miles. It helps that the car is garaged day and night, so I am pretty pleased with the paint on this car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my car two years ago I’ve always washed it regularly and waxed but I do have some paint chips metallic grey color it’s alright

·
Registered
45 Posts
Now that the 9th gen has been out for 7 years, I'd like to hear from owners how your paint has held up. Specifically from those that don't have the luxury of garaging your vehicle. I am looking to replaced my wifes Jetta and that paint has been pretty solid. I have heard stories and seen pictures of peeling paint around the rear window, bubbled paint on the hood and general complaints about "soft" paint on these 9th gens. I am looking at the Modern Steel Metallic color as the top contender.

So owners, how is your paint after all these years?
The paint sucks. I have owned a 2006, 2013 and now a 2016 Accord. The paint on the 9th gen is worse that the 7th gen. Both 9th gens have thin paint jobs and chips very easy. If one thing Honda could improve it would be paint quality. I have been using "Meguiar's M2164 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0" on my white 2016 Accord since it was new with good results. My blue 2013 had horrible paint but I used NuFinish on it. It scratched and chipped very easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought mine in 2016 and so far, did not notice any paint wear that i should be worrying. Weekly washes with PH balance car shampoo and synthetic wax every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Update on my exterior paint peel at rear window. I went to a dealer Monday, showed the car etc including mentioning that in the US, this is an issue with a couple of colors via ext warranty. He said no such thing here (of course...) so to call Honda (Canada), customer service/relations. Got home, did just that. Context, I have had a Honda (or two concurrently since 91). Explained the issue, indicated that I've never called in before after having numerous Hondas and that I love Hondas (true) but have encountered an unusual but somewhat known issue affecting an otherwise demonstrably mint car, and that this stands out very much. Anyhow, he was receptive. Created a case file and said go to a Honda body shop and get an official quote. I just got back and its pretty hefty: CAD$1846 + tax. (~= US$1300). Lots of "blending" plus of course rear window removal...

So, I'm about to call Honda customer relations. I guess I will see just how well they "relate" to a long time customer and admitted fanboy although, so far so good I must admit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The majority of my car has been re-painted at some point because I seem to have the worst luck ever with this car but the roof looks good and so does the hood and trunk lid. I have a hood deflector on the front so not many chips. I have seen a few Accord’s around with the rocker panels starting to rust around the rear so people in the salt belt should watch out!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts