Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

10581 - 10600 of 10712 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Does that mean they replaced the chain, but it is still making noise?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
new engine, new lease on life
16,928 Posts
339k miles.

Noise is still there. No change.

She is running better with new plugs and valve adjustment though

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
16,928 Posts
I'll try to upload a video to youtube and post it up here in a bit.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Ok, if they have been through the top end, and only found a loose chain. I assume both cams were checked. That leaves a few possibilities, oil pump chain (which I hope the checked when the did the cam chain) oil pump. The high pressure fuel pump.

Other than that the sound you are describing is a worn or spun rod bearing. The only way you find out is to remove the oil pan and check the rods for excess movement. Pull the cap on that cylinder (if it is just 1).

The way to test this theory is unplug the coil on 1 cylinder at a time and see if the noise goes away. If it does you know what cylinder it is.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Then, why isnt it a regularly serviced item, like timing belts?
Vehicles intended for private use are designed for a service life of 300K miles. It has lasted one lifetime of the car, therefore not a service item per se. But you are right, chains are wear items, and they need to be replaced eventually. Motorcycle chains for example need to be replaced quite frequently, along with the sprockets they work.

This issue deserves its own thread, keep us posted. Tag me in the resolution if you can. I'd like to learn what the problem was. Thank you.

·
16,928 Posts

Thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Run the test I suggested and see if the knock goes away, realizing it will run not as smooth with 3 cylinders, but if the noise disappears on only 1 cylinder you will know which one it is anyway.

·
16,928 Posts
Run the test I suggested and see if the knock goes away, realizing it will run not as smooth with 3 cylinders, but if the noise disappears on only 1 cylinder you will know which one it is anyway.

I dont have the car with me now. Already dropped it off with a guy I know who has helped me out before.

·
16,928 Posts
I dont want to say it but that honestly sounds like rod knock. But I'm absolutely not a mechanic.
The noise is worst at 2-3k rpms. You can hear it above it, but it's not as prevalent.

Rod knock would sound the same regardless of rpms, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Not necessarily, it depends how bad it is. You said the issue started with an over rev, that puts a lot of load on the rod bearings.

Personally, if it is a rod bearing I would pick up a low mileage used engine/transmission combo and replace it as one unit.

·
16,928 Posts
Not necessarily, it depends how bad it is. You said the issue started with an over rev, that puts a lot of load on the rod bearings.

Personally, if it is a rod bearing I would pick up a low mileage used engine/transmission combo and replace it as one unit.

The first overrev the noise began. But, it was subtle. Recently, it got a bit louder (3 weeks ago). Last week has been the worst it's been.

I cannot afford to put an engine in right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The first overrev the noise began. But, it was subtle. Recently, it got a bit louder (3 weeks ago). Last week has been the worst it's been.

I cannot afford to put an engine in right now.

My girlfriend's 4-cylinder Sonata spun a rod bearing when we were driving down the highway. We were passing a minivan & had the RPMs up around 5K and then it started making the same sound I hear in the video above. We had to have the engine block replaced, which was covered under warranty (in our case, it was caused by a defect in the manufacturing process).

The only way to be sure is to drop the oil pan and inspect the connecting rods & bearings. I've seen situations where replacing the rod bearings without replacing the whole engine worked, but that's if there aren't metal shavings scattered throughout the oil system and damage to the rods themselves.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Stiller fan, any updates? I’m curious to see where this goes. Hopefully, a new engine isn’t needed... while 339k is really good for an engine, I was expecting the K-series in your car to last longer.

·
16,928 Posts
Stiller fan, any updates? I’m curious to see where this goes. Hopefully, a new engine isn’t needed... while 339k is really good for an engine, I was expecting the K-series in your car to last longer.
No updates yet. And, I thought the same thing RE: longevity.

·
16,928 Posts
UPDATE: the guy states that he doesn't believe it's coming from the bottom end, but from the top end instead.

He is having his friend bring over his compression tester this afternoon. He stated that there was excessive blow by when opening the oil cap.

He believes, at the moment, that it may be a valve-related issue, or possibly bad rings.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
The other possibility is Piston slap, that will show up in a compression test. It is not much better of a repair. They also need to do a leak down test as well. The issue is the noise follows RPM so it is a rotating assembly. Some things make noise at start up (crankshaft bearings), some while running (camshaft, valves, crankshaft pulley). That brings up a good point, I assume when they replaced the timing chain they made sure the crankshaft pulley is not internally broken.

10581 - 10600 of 10712 Posts