Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
12321 - 12340 of 12415 Posts

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,223 Posts
it's decision time on my car.

i can either:

- let insurance company have the car, and i'm paid out 5k, after loan is satisfied

OR

- buy the car back off of them, and net ~$2200. buy back price is $2800, loan is $1700.
Hmm, I say to sell it to insurance for the $5k. That covers the engine replacement for both parts and labor, and still gives you a chunk of change to spare. Plus, you already have a replacement.

But if you're attached, get an estimate on the repair work needed first, like @Cepega mentioned.

·
i now have 2 cars to break!!! MUWHAHAH!!!!
14,905 Posts
Aside from what's invested in it, what would it cost to repair it ? Does it worth it in the long run?
If I got the bare minimum done, 2-3k is my guess.

Over the next 12 months, driving what I have right now, it doesnt make sense to have 2 cars. As this car ages though, it will make more sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Accord LX 6MT Modern Steel Metallic
143 Posts
So insurance payout is $6700. $1700 goes to pay off loan.
$5000 for you to use for the 2018 or invest or gamble or whatever.
$2200 for you to use as above and you have a 6 year old, 600,000 mile vehicle that needs probably $3-4000 in bodywork then you could use it again or sell etc. Sale probably would not get much as it has a bit of high mileage most will walk away from. Would you buy a 6 year old, 600k car for more than $1000?
$2200 to you as above and you can get about $1400 from Peddle.com to scrap it.

I'd probably go for the $5k, note what tires you have on it so you get the same for next round on new one for mpg if you are happy (or at least swap quick and test them on new one for next week or more.

Save the $5k, to use for the replacement as this "new" one ages. Changes in future of hybrid, electric, hydrogen, CNG might change many things for what you want. You might decide to get diesel/hybrid something from another country that gets 60+mpg and bring it in to the USA.

Hyundai Ioniq hybrid gets about 60mpg now in highway travel.

·
Registered
2017 Accord LX 6MT Modern Steel Metallic
143 Posts
You could research some for details. A friends neighbor by Albany, NY bought a a 2-3 year old "new" VW diesel recently. Part of the dieselgate certain dealers were allowed to sell the cars after software was fixed. good discount, solid vehicle, full warranty and extra.

Reactions: stiller fan

·
14,905 Posts
You could research some for details. A friends neighbor by Albany, NY bought a a 2-3 year old "new" VW diesel recently. Part of the dieselgate certain dealers were allowed to sell the cars after software was fixed. good discount, solid vehicle, full warranty and extra.
Obviously, with how inconsistent VW can be, the extended warranty would make or break the sale.

·
14,905 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts

i can either:

- let insurance company have the car, and i'm paid out 5k, after loan is satisfied

OR

- buy the car back off of them, and net ~$2200. buy back price is $2800, loan is $1700.
I'd take the 5k. Too many unknowns with that damage in the rear. Sorry you're going to eat that replacement engine.

You seem to be all over the numbers but when factoring in down time and repair costs there's got to be a time to have a second vehicle or to just keep replacing with something more current and more life left.

Glad to year your MPG's are improving.

·
Turbo lag
1,935 Posts

i can either:

OR

I'd take the 5K. The quarter panel damage is too structural for me. I'm sure there are places that can do it right, but it won't be cheap. Sorry you have to take a loss on that new engine.

The only reason that I'd buy a car back is if I can fix it myself, and that damage is really beyond the DIY capability of 99.9% of people.

Reactions: stiller fan

·
14,905 Posts
I'd take the 5k. Too many unknowns with that damage in the rear. Sorry you're going to eat that replacement engine.

You seem to be all over the numbers but when factoring in down time and repair costs there's got to be a time to have a second vehicle or to just keep replacing with something more current and more life left.

Glad to year your MPG's are improving.
They are factoring in the replacement engine, in a way. Their initial offer was 3k, which was far too low.

·
14,905 Posts
Take the 5K, car will probably cost more to fix than it is worth.
That's the way I'm leaning too...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put in some LED low and high beams. Reviewed the LED from Autoone and Auxito while at it (video below).
No flicker or interference on the radio. In all, happy I did this.

·
14,905 Posts
Last ride with my car, at dealership now to swap rims...

Ok 10th gen, you have big shoes to fill. Let's see what you can really do...
Car Wheel Plant Tire Land vehicle
Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire
Car Wheel Vehicle Sky Plant
Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Tachometer Gauge
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Sky Wheel
Finger Font Electric blue Auto part Multimedia
Cloud Sky Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Cloud Tire Land vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Too bad, little Bondo, fiberglass cloth and a rattle can would make it nice secondary vehicle would be little bit in a beater side, but would definitely live up until the wheels fall off. That ugly pregnant whale on drugs definitely has some big shoes to fill.

·
14,905 Posts
Too bad, little Bondo, fiberglass cloth and a rattle can would make it nice secondary vehicle would be little bit in a beater side, but would definitely live up until the wheels fall off. That ugly pregnant whale on drugs definitely has some big shoes to fill.
Having insurance charge me 2800 for buyback makes it not worth it...

12321 - 12340 of 12415 Posts