Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V6 ex-l coupe manual:
Does anyone have this sunroof rattle:

This is the only mention of it for the 9th gen on the web I can find.

It happens in warmer weathers going over fairly even roads (not bumpy).

The rattle/ clicking seems to come from the sunroof. I can place my hand on the headliner just above the passenger headrest and press up, or push up against the sunroof glass on the passenger side, the noise goes away. Also pulling down on the metallic aluminum like sunroof rail on the passenger side, or pull down or push up the leading edge of the sunroof headliner on the passenger side hard, the noise goes away.

Any idea on fixes?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Exactly the same problem here with the same .. Every morning, when I leave the house, my sunroof makes that noise when I drive off. I got use to it but would be nice to figure out a solution to this.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had something similar; not as pronounced as yours but I wedged a piece of felt in between the headliner and it seemed to fix. Wedge something up there in the back corner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything works, do you have any pictures?

This is interesting. I guess not too many people are having this issue.

Exactly the same problem here with the same .. Every morning, when I leave the house, my sunroof makes that noise when I drive off. I got use to it but would be nice to figure out a solution to this.
It won't bother me that much if the rest of the car is a rattle theme park, but now the accord is so quiet, the clicking stands out so bad. It is like having a dead pixel in the center of an iPad, I mean, retina my ass; it would be annoying as f.

·
Elvira - the car
3,496 Posts
I have a rattle in my passenger A-Pillar area. The rest of the car is pretty quiet though.
V6 ex-l coupe manual:
Does anyone have this sunroof rattle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7wOquV1mfc

This is the only mention of it for the 9th gen on the web I can find.

It happens in warmer weathers going over fairly even roads (not bumpy).

The rattle/ clicking seems to come from the sunroof. I can place my hand on the headliner just above the passenger headrest and press up, or push up against the sunroof glass on the passenger side, the noise goes away. Also pulling down on the metallic aluminum like sunroof rail on the passenger side, or pull down or push up the leading edge of the sunroof headliner on the passenger side hard, the noise goes away.

Any idea on fixes?

It's probably the drain tubes for the moonroof for both of your rattles.

There is a drain in the A pillar passenger side that may be loose especially when it heats up in the pillar. The overhead rattle is /might be a drain tube that was not fully seated and rattling around.

The overhead rattle was discussed in a Honda Ridgeline forum but dagnabit I can't find it. The fix was fully seating the rear drain tube in that situation. They were able to quell the sound exactly as you are doing by lightly pushing on the headliner. If I find it I will post it.

here http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43592

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay everyone, I'm just back from the dealership and they have been able to fix this exact same issue. All they've done is put some kind of foam between the headliner and the body and it fixed the issue. It was soo annoying, I'm happy this was a so simple fix. Maybe this will help someone here !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nevermind, the noise came back few weeks ago... So annoying, after 3 visits at my local dealership, they still can't find how to solve the problem ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone with news on this, after FIVE visits to dealership, they tried,to adjust sunroof, add foam everywhere, remove the headliner and try it like this, every time it seems to fix it but the noise keep coming bback some days after the "repair" they've spent more than 12 hours into this by now. Any new ideas ??

·
CVT
1,010 Posts
  • Can you post a video of this noise you've been experiencing?
  • Have you checked youtube to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue?
  • The noise may be directly related to the sunroof assembly, and may need to be replaced.
  • Consider taking out the headliner so that the entire roof is exposed. Drive around for a few days to see if you can identify and isolate the noise. You may need someone to help you to identify the source of the noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The noise is the same as the first video in the first pist, the headliner was out for few days at dealership, they drive it around but at this time there was no issue. Maybe as you have mentioned, the sunroof assembly needs to be replaced. I've searched everywhere but no one seems to have a definitive answer on this problem.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Have '16 EX CVT Coupe which had moon roof rattles that were making me crazy. They checked it several times during the first few warranty services and didn't fix it until... One of the dealer's smart techs lubed some pins(?), guides(?), clips(?) or...? on the sides of the moon roof and - GONE!

It's not clear from the paperwork exactly what was lubed. It just says "lubed sides of moon roof" but I think there may be some sort of moveable parts along those edges, either on the panel itself or maybe on the guide railings that were rattling. Have ~33K on the car now and never heard another rattle from the moon roof...

Sorry I can't be more specific about what they did. So have a look at the sides of the moon roof where it slides in the track and see if you find the mystery rattling thingies. Or maybe just squirt some silicone lube along the edges of the roof and tracks and run the moon roof back/forth a few times, and then see if the rattle persists when you drive.

And of course, YRMV..! ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll try this for sure and let you know of my results. Does your rattle sounded like the video at the beginning of this thread ? That's unfortunate that we don't know which type of grease was used. But thanks for the tip, at this point, I would try anything to get this solved.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
@SteevenTide - I hear a lot of different sounds in your vid, so not sure which ones are from your moon roof.

Is your roof closed, open or tilted when it makes noise? What's the position of the inside shade when it makes noise? Does changing any of those variables make a difference?

Mine was a mix of rattling and clickety-clickety-clacks all the time, regardless of being closed, open, tilted or whether the inside shade was fully open, fully closed or anywhere in between.

I think they probably used white silicone grease because I saw some white smears in the channel and on the moon roof's rubber gasket after they silenced it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Then, i'll try to upload my own video tonight, we may hear it better.

The noise is present when the shade is in open or in mid position and the sunroof is closed. When I fully close the shade, I can still hear the clicking noise, but definitely, the shade muffles the noise.

The only ways Ifound to mute the noise is by applying a light pressure with one finger onto the headliner at the back of the sunroof, by touching the metal rack around the sunroof or by applying a good amount of force to the moonroof glass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Then, i'll try to upload my own video tonight, we may hear it better.

The noise is present when the shade is in open or in mid position and the sunroof is closed. When I fully close the shade, I can still hear the clicking noise, but definitely, the shade muffles the noise.

The only ways Ifound to mute the noise is by applying a light pressure with one finger onto the headliner at the back of the sunroof, by touching the metal rack around the sunroof or by applying a good amount of force to the moonroof glass.
I have a 2013, same issue especially whenI have my summer sheel set on since theyre lower profile tires I'm assuming, more vibrations must get transferred. When my shade is open w/ moonroof closed I hear it but when I push slight up on the metal flange in between glass and headliner it stops, I'm assuming it's some type of tray tht jelps drain but you obly sort of see the edge or beginning point of this tray. I tried dynamat pieces to avail, ot's to rigid to fold on to lip and cracks the dynamat.looking to buy some anti vibration felt tape that's more plyable to se eif it will help. Planning on wrapping corners of the tray/ flange.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts