Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
2014 EXL w/ Navi I4 sedan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 exl with nav, 4 cyl, about 800 miles. I searched the forum, but didn't see any posts related to dash rattles. I'm hoping you all might have encountered this and got it fixed already. My rattle is coming from the passenger side around the middle of the dash, where the passenger front air bag would be . I pushed on the dash in the center area of the passenger area to try and fix it, but no luck. The rattle is higher pitched, almost metalic and it sounds like it is under the dash. I have taken everything out of the glove box and still had the issue.

Also, there is not pattern to when it rattles. It happens about twice a week, but sometimes at start up, sometimes after hitting a bump, warm, cold, doesn't matter. I plan on taking it to the dealer and I have it recorded with my iPhone, i just wanted to save some time and possibly point the dealer in the right direction. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Have u tried taking ur sunglasses out the holder? Mine does that when the music is turned up or hit a bump.
My sunglasses also rattled up in the holder. It sounded like it came from the right of center in the dash.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same buzz in mine. Luckily, after hours of frustration, I located the noise. It was a fuel line bracket (bolted to the firewall) that was vibrating. The sound somehow seemed like it was coming from the dash. You could tap on the bracket and it would buzz . I took the Accord to the dealer and they made a gasket to put between the bracket and the firewall. All better now :)

The bracket is black and has a right-angle bend. I don't have a good picture of it, but it is in the area outlined in the red box (see pic below).

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the same exact noise that you are describing in this post i am going to check that bracket tomorrow and check if it is the culprit in mine. I have not been able to find it anywhere in the dash and it sounds metal like. Mine always seems to do it at or about 1500RPM and its been driving me crazy since i can't find it. If its just the bracket i'll do the fix myself with a piece of 3M rubber or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 exl with nav, 4 cyl, about 800 miles. I searched the forum, but didn't see any posts related to dash rattles. I'm hoping you all might have encountered this and got it fixed already. My rattle is coming from the passenger side around the middle of the dash, where the passenger front air bag would be . I pushed on the dash in the center area of the passenger area to try and fix it, but no luck. The rattle is higher pitched, almost metalic and it sounds like it is under the dash. I have taken everything out of the glove box and still had the issue.

Also, there is not pattern to when it rattles. It happens about twice a week, but sometimes at start up, sometimes after hitting a bump, warm, cold, doesn't matter. I plan on taking it to the dealer and I have it recorded with my iPhone, i just wanted to save some time and possibly point the dealer in the right direction. Thanks.
I just bought my 2014 Accord Sport on Friday and I'm having a rattle in the dash also. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere behind the I-mid display maybe. It's a high buzzing sounds at various RPMs. It's driving me nuts. I had around 100 miles on when I noticed on Sunday. I've taken it to the dealership to have them look at it this morning. They had it all day and said they couldn't replicate. I had a technician ride in the car with me this afternoon and it did it as soon as we started driving and I told him I heard and asked if he did and he agreed he heard it. He is going to call Honda tomorrow morning. I'm worried they won't be able to easily localize where the buzzing is coming from.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My "dash rattle" ended up being the airbag/horn cover rubbing. I put a foam in the gap on the underside of the cover and the rattle went away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought my 2014 Accord Sport on Friday and I'm having a rattle in the dash also. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere behind the I-mid display maybe. It's a high buzzing sounds at various RPMs. It's driving me nuts. I had around 100 miles on when I noticed on Sunday. I've taken it to the dealership to have them look at it this morning. They had it all day and said they couldn't replicate. I had a technician ride in the car with me this afternoon and it did it as soon as we started driving and I told him I heard and asked if he did and he agreed he heard it. He is going to call Honda tomorrow morning. I'm worried they won't be able to easily localize where the buzzing is coming from.

Check my post above where I showed a picture of where a vibrating bracket was located in my car. To me, it sounded like it came from the same location you mentioned, but I was wrong. Just tap on the bracket I mentioned; if it buzzes, that is probably the source of your rattle also.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts

I had a rattle that sounded like that, but it sounded more like it was coming from the passenger footwell/kick panel. Sounds bounce around in a car so it's hard to pinpoint their location most of the time. It turned out to be a bolt on the passenger strut that was loose. I guess he tightened it up and put some lube or something on it and it's been fine ever since.

I still have an extremely annoying rattle from the seatbelt mechanicsm (near your ear) on the passenger side. They said they fixed it and it sounded like they did for a few days, but it's definitely not fixed. Might just try to figure out how to take it apart and put some deadener on it myself.

I had the same buzz in mine. Luckily, after hours of frustration, I located the noise. It was a fuel line bracket (bolted to the firewall) that was vibrating. The sound somehow seemed like it was coming from the dash. You could tap on the bracket and it would buzz . I took the Accord to the dealer and they made a gasket to put between the bracket and the firewall. All better now :)

The bracket is black and has a right-angle bend. I don't have a good picture of it, but it is in the area outlined in the red box (see pic below).
Thanks! I'll have to check this out. I'm all for locating possible rattles. You never know if what you're hearing is from a completely different area of the vehicle. Rattles are a PITA!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Man, I tell you what!! Thank you so much for posting this. I called the dealership Service Dept. as soon as they opened this morning as they still had my car and told them about what you said in this thread and he asked for me to email over so he could at least have the technician look into it. I sent him over an excerpt from you and included the pic you had posted showing the area where the bracket is. As soon as service manager got the email he printed it out and took it to the tech and they checked it and sure enough that's what it was. They installed a piece of insulation between the cowl and bracket and voila!, no more buzzing!! I am just ecstatic that this is fixed! THANK YOU!:banana:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Man, I tell you what!! Thank you so much for posting this. I called the dealership Service Dept. as soon as they opened this morning as they still had my car and told them about what you said in this thread and he asked for me to email over so he could at least have the technician look into it. I sent him over an excerpt from you and included the pic you had posted showing the area where the bracket is. As soon as service manager got the email he printed it out and took it to the tech and they checked it and sure enough that's what it was. They installed a piece of insulation between the cowl and bracket and voila!, no more buzzing!! I am just ecstatic that this is fixed! THANK YOU!:banana:
:thumbsup:
Your very welcome! When I found the buzzing bracket, I contacted my dealer. The dealer is currently in contact with Honda about this solution. This dash buzz has proven to be a fairly common problem. I expect that after Honda receives the info from my dealer, there may be a service bulletin issued to help everyone else with the problem. Honda should send me a hat for finding this! :banana:

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Can you help pinpoint the exact location of this bracket that needs tightening or treatment for myself and other future owners? I hear a rattle over bumps coming from the cluster where the controls are (below Imid somewhere). Hoping it's this!

engine.jpg

Is this the bracket?
Possible bracket.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can you help pinpoint the exact location of this bracket that needs tightening or treatment for myself and other future owners? I hear a rattle over bumps coming from the cluster where the controls are (below Imid somewhere). Hoping it's this!

Is this the bracket?
View attachment 101386
BINGO!

When I tapped on this (see red arrow below) it would make a distinct buzz with each tap. If you firmly hold the BLACK bracket (the one with the 2 silver bolts) while tapping, the buzz would disappear. Hope this helps.:thmsup:

Oh, and by the way, my dealer fixed it with by making a gasket to go between the bracket and firewall.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a couple noises - a bit of a rattle from the centre stack that I just started to notice today, and a squeaking sound from the front right - it really sounds like rubber squeaking against something, but it never does it consistently. It does it regularly when I'm driving, but sometimes it's bumps, other times it will make the sound when I'm driving on a smooth road.

So, if I'm reading this right:

Rattle in centre stack = bracket shown above under the hood

Squeaking sound = suspension part tightening and lube

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a couple noises - a bit of a rattle from the centre stack that I just started to notice today, and a squeaking sound from the front right - it really sounds like rubber squeaking against something, but it never does it consistently. It does it regularly when I'm driving, but sometimes it's bumps, other times it will make the sound when I'm driving on a smooth road.

So, if I'm reading this right:

Rattle in centre stack = bracket shown above under the hood

Squeaking sound = suspension part tightening and lube
If you want to know if the bracket is causing the noise in your car, just tap the area shown in the last pic on the previous page (see red arrow in pic). It will make an obvious buzzing sound if it is the culprit. :thmsup:

·
2014 Accord Coupe SNP
40 Posts
I finally found a fix to the dash rattle!

For all of you that are annoyed by that rattle. There's a video on youtube. A guy on there found the rattle and fixed it.
I tried it on my coupe and it indeed did finally fix that annoying rattle. I had taken it to the dealership 2 times and they could not find it.
I tried the one you guys said came from the engine but still rattled from the glovebox area. I did the fix that the guy posted on youtube and YEAHH:banana: IT FINALLY MADE IT GO AWAY!
Every time I accelerated or hit a bump, it rattled. Not anymore! :banana::banana:
Check out the video on youtube. type "2013 2014 honda accord dash rattle fix" and you'll see it. Your new car shouldn't rattle after this fix. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
408 Posts
For all of you that are annoyed by that rattle. There's a video on youtube. A guy on there found the rattle and fixed it.
I tried it on my coupe and it indeed did finally fix that annoying rattle. I had taken it to the dealership 2 times and they could not find it.
I tried the one you guys said came from the engine but still rattled from the glovebox area. I did the fix that the guy posted on youtube and YEAHH:banana: IT FINALLY MADE IT GO AWAY!
Every time I accelerated or hit a bump, it rattled. Not anymore! :banana::banana:
Check out the video on youtube. type "2013 2014 honda accord dash rattle fix" and you'll see it. Your new car shouldn't rattle after this fix. Good luck guys.
Wonder if that same sort of thing is possible on the driver's side??!! :dunno: In the last couple of days, my baby has developed a rattle that sounds as though it's coming from the base of the windshield--her first annoying one! :thumbsdow (AFAIK, the car's 1st build-anniversary is this week!) It's one of those "crackle" ones that sounds as if something's cracked, and the two sides are rubbing against each other. Seems to happen when cold, but I can still hear it a little after the car has warmed. Ugh! :headbash:

The A-pillar trim at the base of the dashboard is a little looser on that side vs. the passenger side, and makes a noise if I press on it, but the noise I'm hearing is a little "deeper"-sounding. I tried pressing down around the FCW HUD unit and got my fingers up as far up front as possible, but couldn't hear it!

I don't blame the car per se--I blame all the rutted snow I've had to drive upon this past month, plus the extreme cold temperatures I've encountered, this winter in my neck of the woods. (I also wonder why automakers can't do a little more testing to ensure that annoying stuff doesn't result from living in a deep-freeze for five months out of the year!) Canadians and those of you from the "normal" cold and snowy climes, do cars in general seem to develop annoying rattles sooner in your neck of the woods as a result of the temperature and road-condition extremes? I swear on a stack of Bibles that up until the second cold blast of the season these last two weeks, my Touring had absolutely ZERO rattles, squeaks, creaks or shudders, other than the vibrating, buzzing passenger headrest, fixed by removing the headrest and bending the legs outward just a touch! Hondas ALWAYS do that eventually! :) (Now, unlike my previous Accords, all with power seats, let's see if I can get through the ownership experience WITHOUT needing shims added to the seat rails to stop "rocking" and "flexing" sensations!)

·
2014 Accord Coupe SNP
40 Posts
Wonder if that same sort of thing is possible on the driver's side??!! :dunno: In the last couple of days, my baby has developed a rattle that sounds as though it's coming from the base of the windshield--her first annoying one! :thumbsdow (AFAIK, the car's 1st build-anniversary is this week!) It's one of those "crackle" ones that sounds as if something's cracked, and the two sides are rubbing against each other. Seems to happen when cold, but I can still hear it a little after the car has warmed. Ugh! :headbash:

The A-pillar trim at the base of the dashboard is a little looser on that side vs. the passenger side, and makes a noise if I press on it, but the noise I'm hearing is a little "deeper"-sounding. I tried pressing down around the FCW HUD unit and got my fingers up as far up front as possible, but couldn't hear it!

I don't blame the car per se--I blame all the rutted snow I've had to drive upon this past month, plus the extreme cold temperatures I've encountered, this winter in my neck of the woods. (I also wonder why automakers can't do a little more testing to ensure that annoying stuff doesn't result from living in a deep-freeze for five months out of the year!) Canadians and those of you from the "normal" cold and snowy climes, do cars in general seem to develop annoying rattles sooner in your neck of the woods as a result of the temperature and road-condition extremes? I swear on a stack of Bibles that up until the second cold blast of the season these last two weeks, my Touring had absolutely ZERO rattles, squeaks, creaks or shudders, other than the vibrating, buzzing passenger headrest, fixed by removing the headrest and bending the legs outward just a touch! :)
I'm glad you mentioned that because my coupe had no rattles until one day in december it was very cold and I turned it on and took off without warming up the engine.
On my way I heard that crackling rattle from the dash or pillar area
and once it warmed up it would go away. However with that fix from that video it finally solved my issue.
A friend of mine has a touring as well and he called a few minutes ago thanking me like no one else for telling him about that video.
He said his car stopped rattling as well.
And yes, I forgot to mention that it should also be done to the driver's side, however, you should make sure it clips it properly
or it can be dangerous if the plastic comes off while driving.
Try tapping both sides and you should hear that rattle. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned that because my coupe had no rattles until one day in december it was very cold and I turned it on and took off without warming up the engine.
On my way I heard that crackling rattle from the dash or pillar area
and once it warmed up it would go away. However with that fix from that video it finally solved my issue.
A friend of mine has a touring as well and he called a few minutes ago thanking me like no one else for telling him about that video.
He said his car stopped rattling as well.
And yes, I forgot to mention that it should also be done to the driver's side, however, you should make sure it clips it properly
or it can be dangerous if the plastic comes off while driving.
Try tapping both sides and you should hear that rattle. Best of luck to you.
I could hear it with the "flexing" of the car today, and damned if it didn't sound like it was coming the dash where it meets the windshield. I also tried tapping my fingers up and down the filler-panel on the driver's side of the console/center stack, and couldn't hear any noise. (The bad thing about the vid is that the videographer already had the panel loose--I would have wanted to hear what it sounded like with the panel fully in place.)

Just for $hits and giggles, at one of my destinations while doing my Saturday errands, I tried tapping around the outside, and noticed that the plastic panel on the driver's side under the driver's wiper with the gasket on top is not one piece, but is divided into two pieces, with the driver's piece a third of the way along the driver's wiper. The passenger piece was tight when I tapped and pressed on it; the driver's side was not, and made a similar noise when I tapped on it. Then, when I got back home (really looking odd to other folks in my condo development, I'm sure), I opened the window, got into the car and moved my seat up as far as I comfortably could, and tried to reach out the open window to tap at that same area while listening inside the car as I also moved the car back and forth over a storm drain which caused the noise because of the "flexing." I don't think I got it quite right, but will try again after the car has sat out of the sun for a few hours; before trying to sleuth this any further, I'll take a video that I can send to my dealer.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts