Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first post and i've read the sticky for new comers. I purchased my first car on Saturday which was a used 2010 Honda Accord Sedan. This kind of raised my stoke and interest in cars. I basically have no knowledge besides the basic procedures on how to drive a car, so i've joined this forum to learn a bit more and read the stickys. haha.

I was looking at some basic stuff I wanted to put in my car and the HID lights caught my attention. I was talking about it to my friend who seems somewhat knowledgeable about cars and he said that I should just buy the bulbs off of ebay and that he could install them. I sought to clarify this from the community. Why would they sell conversion kits if all people needed was the bulb? What exactly is a retrofit and is it completely necessary for HID lights in the sedan like the sticky says, because it's a lot more expensive of an option.

Also, would this void my warranty?

On another note, how difficult is it to install LED strips in the interior of your car? For someone completely new to doing any form of car modifications/work, would I be able to do this on my own?

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Your car is not suited for HID kits. Your car has a halogen headlamp system and HID kits in such a system create a lot of glare and put a lot of light in the wrong place and will actually reduce your night-time seeing distance. See here for more information.

A HID retrofit is different from a HID kit. A retrofit involves taking your headlamps apart and installing HID lighting, usually an OEM projector from a donor car like a TSX or an Infiniti, and is very involved and, as you observe, quite expensive. If you must have HID this is the only safe and (quasi) legal way to do it.

I'd stay away from just about everything on ebay.

For your car the best headlight upgrade is HIR bulbs. There is a thread about them here

Just so you know, I'm an automotive lighting engineer and I'll never use a HID kit in any of my cars. I do use the HIR bulbs in my Accord and Jaguar sedans and they're a great upgrade over stock. They give more than enough light without overpowering your eyes in the way HID kits do.

Not sure about the LED strips. I've never used any of them.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Welcome and congrats! I got a 2010 sedan about 2 months ago and I really like the car so far.

HID kits will NOT void your warranty. Let me be the first to note that HID kits are not DOT approved, therefore they are not legal. Now, will you get pulled over? Likely not, but HIDs in cars designed for halogens throw our horrible glare. There are a few civics and older evos in my neighborhood running HID kits and it's absolutely awful.

To get a color as close to factory, you want to stick to around a 5K setup. 6K is ok, but please dont get an 8K, it's when the glare gets really worst (actually, IMO dont get HID's at all). And you cannot just buy bulbs, you need the ballast (it's what "fires" the bulbs), aka the "HID KIT."

They are easy to install. There are threads here that will show you a step by step with pictures.

Installing LEDs to the interior of your vehicle may not necessarily be difficult, it depends on where you are installing it. Having some knowledge helps (obviously), but the hardest part will likely be pulling stuff out to hide the wires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your car is not suited for HID kits. Your car has a halogen headlamp system and HID kits in such a system create a lot of glare and put a lot of light in the wrong place and will actually reduce your night-time seeing distance. See here for more information.

A HID retrofit is different from a HID kit. A retrofit involves taking your headlamps apart and installing HID lighting, usually an OEM projector from a donor car like a TSX or an Infiniti, and is very involved and, as you observe, quite expensive. If you must have HID this is the only safe and (quasi) legal way to do it.

I'd stay away from just about everything on ebay.

For your car the best headlight upgrade is HIR bulbs. There is a thread about them here

Just so you know, I'm an automotive lighting engineer and I'll never use a HID kit in any of my cars. I do use the HIR bulbs in my Accord and Jaguar sedans and they're a great upgrade over stock. They give more than enough light without overpowering your eyes in the way HID kits do.

Not sure about the LED strips. I've never used any of them.
Thanks. This post was very informative. Are there any pictures comparing the HIR lights vs. the stock ones and the beam pattern, etc? Also, do you have any reliable online retailers I could purchase this from? How much would this mark up to? I'm only a 19 year old college student with student loans to pay, so I can't really drop too much money on just lights. Thank you though, for providing this information. I can just imagine how bad it would have looked/been if I just went for the HID lights without any proper knowledge of how they aren't right for my car.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Re: HIR vs Stock

The beam pattern is unchanged, at least on level ground. This is because the location of the light source (the bulb's filament) is identical in the HIR and 9006 bulbs. With HIR you'll get more light directly in front of the car and more in the fringe areas.

I don't have any photos of HIR vs stock because, frankly, such photos are effectively meaningless. Most cameras auto adjust exposure and white balance and then there's the issue of the colour calibration (or lack thereof) of people's computer monitor.

One place to buy the Philips HIR low beams is here. If you're on a budget you could start with just the low beams and get the high beams later. This is what you'd doing if you went the route of the HID kit anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts