Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
khol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 SE with the 4 cylinder engine.

I was wondering what the best way to run the A/C to maximize my MPG. When I run it I have the fan turned up to max and the temp. sent somewhere in the middle of the blue line with the recirculate turn on of coarse.

Since I got the car in June I have averaged 25.7 mpg with the A/C running at least 90% of the time.

Curious to see what you all think.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The compressor running is what takes away from gas mileage. Fan settings and whether you have it on recirculate or fresh has almost no effect on gas mileage. Obviously the colder the temp setting the more the compressor will cycle. On the other hand, how do you expect the car to cool down when it's 100 degrees F outside and you don't have it set all the way in the cold setting? Also in the scheme of things, an A/C running has a minimal effect on gas mileage as opposed to your overall driving habits. In fact sometimes a car with the A/C on with the windows rolled up will get better gas mileage than a car with all the windows rolled down and the A/C off especially at higher speeds and depending on the car's aerodynamics.

·
khol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the other hand, how do you expect the car to cool down when it's 100 degrees F outside and you don't have it set all the way in the cold setting?
I use the roll down window feature on the key (hold down the unlock button after the second stage unlock) before I get into the car to release the heat.

·
'07 EX-L Navi 6-6 Sedan
221 Posts
I have noticed that when running the A/C on my 6-6 sedan I lose about 1-2mpg pretty consistently. I don't know of any way around that, unfortunately.

Peter

·
Banned
546 Posts
What I found back in my "hyper-miling" days when I was commuting 120 miles 5 days per week was the following (you say your car is an SE so I'm not sure if you have this feature or not though):

On my EX-L I have dual climate control and the actual "A/C" button that allows the compressor to be turned on or off. As tedious as it sounds, I would set the temp on about 65 and let it get cool. Then while underway on the interstate, I would turn the A/C on and off via the "A/C" button, which would cycle the compressor on and off. I could usually go 4-5 miles with the fan running and on re-circulate before it started warming back up to the point I wanted the A/C on again, and then I'd turn the button back on, let it run for a minute or two, and repeat with another 4-5 miles.

Tedious as hell, but I know it helped me hit that 36.6 mpg mark with my V6 5AT back in 2010. Now is all that really worth 1 or 1.5 extra MPGs? Probably not, but it can be done and can help.

This is why I love this time of year...A/C isn't needed and the heat isn't needed either :D

·
khol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is why I love this time of year...A/C isn't needed and the heat isn't needed either :D
I agree with you completely.

Thanks so much for the info about you mpg with the A/C. You are right about the SE climate control. It is more basic and does not have the dual zone or automatic temp. In a way to I prefer the simplicity of the basic climate control as it is more strait forward. Plus I hate having to toggle through the modes on the.

Does the heater reduce mpg too?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The heater is nothing more than opening the coolant flow into the cabin through the heater core and the electricity to run the fan to blow air across the core. Seeing as running your heater ostensibly increases the cooling efficiency of the engine block it could be argued that operating the heater would have a positive although undetectable effect on mpg.

·
We owe Mr. Soichiro Honda
114 Posts
I guess Arizona could be considered an extreme, however...
I lose 3-4 MPG in the summer when A/C is on constantly.
The weather just cooled off and I went from 25 up to 28MPG just like that not having to run the A/C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts