Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'llhaveanaccordplease!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just bought a 04 Accord LX 2.4 4cly, with 102k on it. Love the car! While test driving it, the A/c started to blow warm. The dealership checked it out and told me that it was the compressor and they would have to add $1000 to the price if it was replaced. I advised against it and purchased it anyway, knowing that I could do it myself.
Purchased a condensor, removed old one, replace leaking schrader valve, and also replaced the serpintine belt, did the whole "measure the oil from old compressor" etc... recharged system with 134....pressure tested system....
Car blew air with temp of 42.5 for 10 minutes and then quit altogether. Pressure is still the same, no leaks, clutch engaging and new compressor comes on, idle drops......I am clueless as to what else it could be. Why would it blow that cold and then just stop? BTW, it was 9pm in the evening and only about 75 degrees outside.:paranoid:

Could someone please help me? I am running out of patience and don't want to take it to the stealership. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Why did you buy a condenser if the compressor was bad, or was that a typo?
My guess is the expansion valve is plugged from the bad compressor's trash since you didn't mention flushing the system. You said the pressure was the same, so I am guessing you are using a single gage? A gage set in the handsof an experienced tech is really necessary to work on these systems. A good AC shop should be able to diagnose it for you at less cost than the dealer.

·
I'llhaveanaccordplease!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, yes typo......I purchased a Compressor. This was all doe by a ASE Certified A/C mechanic. He used all of the proper guages....but it was done at his home rather than his shop. I do not think he "flushed the system."

Could you tell me how this is done and I will ask him? Also, I am willing to replace the expansion valve, but where is it on an 04 accord LX 4cly and how hard is it to do? I am pretty good with most of the DIY stuff.....I think I could have done the compressor replacement and recharge after partially watching him.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Here is a link for flushing AC systems. http://www.e38.org/pparish/flushing.htm
I dont have an 04 Accord manual, but if its like the 6th gens, the expansion valve is under the dash and not easy to access. Because of that I hope its not the actual problem. Your ASE certified friend should be able to diagnose the problem with his gages and training.

·
I'llhaveanaccordplease!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link. I have another friend that is a Honda lover as well and he has worked on the electrical systems for Honda for years and is willing to try and help me. He is very mechanicly inclined. I have already spoken to him about the flush and he says if it works, we're gonna do it on his car as well because his A/C just went out.....so the experience I gain with all of this I will surely pass on to others.

After doing more research and reading a few oter links in the forums, I think I need to replace the evaporator/dryer first, then maybe the CONDENSER, and or the expansion valve.....all just trouble shooting talk here.

I also forgot to mention that the a/c blew colder on the passenger side of the car. When it did blow clod for 10 minutes, the passenger side temp was 40 degrees and the driver side was about 50 degrees

1 - 5 of 5 Posts