Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So two days ago, I noticed my cars ACC didn't seem to be working right. I normally run it at 72* - 74* and it had been working as expected. Yesterday on the drive to work, I noticed it didn't seem as cool as it should be. I turned down the temp to 65 and it got a little cooler, but not when it should be. I turned the system to manual and set the temp to "Lo" and felt the air coming from the vents. It was pretty cold and I eventually had to turn the temp up to stay comfortable. I don't know the temp of the air as I didn't have a thermometer handy and I haven't yet checked to see if the compressor is cycling normally. I'm afraid I've taken a stone to the condenser. I did add gutter guard screen behind the lower grille. There is a pretty good stone hit between the runners but it looks like it's only on the fins. If I had a leak, would the air still be as cold? I guess I need to inspect the condenser more closely and check the cycle times and temp of the air, but I fear a dealer visit is in my future. :crying

·
Registered
491 Posts
The lowest temp you will get set on Lo and at fan speed 1 is 40 degrees. This means your evap is about 10-15 degrees lower. If your condenser is leaking, ALL your refrigerant would be out pretty quick since it under about 80psi and up. I have a thermometer in the vent of all my cars to keep tabs on the air.

Get a small thermometer and take the temp so your not guessing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try hitting the "sync" button and setting high to low with the car running and change vent mode to blow only out the front vents.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
So two days ago, I noticed my cars ACC didn't seem to be working right. I normally run it at 72* - 74* and it had been working as expected. Yesterday on the drive to work, I noticed it didn't seem as cool as it should be. I turned down the temp to 65 and it got a little cooler, but not when it should be. I turned the system to manual and set the temp to "Lo" and felt the air coming from the vents. It was pretty cold and I eventually had to turn the temp up to stay comfortable. I don't know the temp of the air as I didn't have a thermometer handy and I haven't yet checked to see if the compressor is cycling normally. I'm afraid I've taken a stone to the condenser. I did add gutter guard screen behind the lower grille. There is a pretty good stone hit between the runners but it looks like it's only on the fins. If I had a leak, would the air still be as cold? I guess I need to inspect the condenser more closely and check the cycle times and temp of the air, but I fear a dealer visit is in my future. :crying
Instead of moving to manual, do the opposite. Make sure it is on Full Auto (by pressing Auto) and then turn the temperature down. And yes make sure Sync is on.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
870 Posts
How hot was it that day? Sometimes the auto ac changes when the sun hits the sensor directly and when you go undet a shadow or agaisnt the sun the speeds slows almost all the way down

·
2014 Accord EX-L Coupe
353 Posts
Also make sure ECON mode is not on. That cuts back the A/C too.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ ECON is always off.

I've done the above suggestions and it seems about the same. I just measured the temperature at the left vent in the center stack and got 46*-47* depending on whether compressor was running or not. Settings were on manual, fresh air, front vents, temp on "Lo" and fan on low. Turning fan up to hi and turning recirculate on showed 41*-42* so it seems the AC is working. I set ACC in 68* on the way home from work and was comfortable.

I wonder if the problem could be the extra high humidity due to the rain we've had here the past several days?? Maybe the humidity is making 72-74 feel warmer :dunno:

·
Registered
983 Posts
if you are pulling down 20 degrees from the ambient temp you AC is working just fine.

That is the measurement of a good AC unit. I forget what the percent is but if ambient is 80 and you are getting 60 or less from a vent, life is good.

Someone with the HVAC experience can tell you the exact pull down percent.

All I can say is Tint is your friend. It keeps my car from heating up sitting in the sun. Black/Black coupe can get real hot.

Also a front good fitting sun shade will help keep your heat gain down also.

And crack your windows for a minuet or two to let hot air escape when you first get in. A few minuets can go a long way in cooling your interior down.

Like I said find the correct pull down percent, stick a thermometer in a vent and see what you get.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I have ceramic tint on all but the front windshield. And, the temps were actually lower than they had been. It wasn't even hot outside. Like I said, one day I was running at 72-74 and the next day I had to crank it down to mid 60's to stay cool, even with cooler temps. I'm blaming the humidity unless someone has another theory.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it appears it was a fluke or it was humidity. I just drove out to lunch and it seemed to be working like normal. Current temp is 82* at 52% humidity. Yesterday, it was 72* and 85%+ humidity.

·
2014 Accord EX-L Coupe
353 Posts
Humidity is a killer for any cooling system. In NM we really don't have that problem and I've never had to adjust mine in AUTO from 72 (ok I went to 73 during the winter). It kicks in hard, cools down quickly then slows down. I also open my sunroof to let the heat out for the fist few blocks then close it. In the dead of summer when we hit in the upper 90's to low 100's I use the key fob as I'm walking to the car to open everything if not in the shade. Even with tint and sunshade it's still a "hot car" in full sun for whatever reason. But it cools quickly as much as possible. The longer you drive the cooler it will get eventually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts