Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Accord LX stick shift, 96k miles. I used to own this tank, my brother drove it for a while, and I’m now driving it again. The A/C is out, I filled it earlier, it was very cold but then it got warm in a few days. I took it to a local shop, he said that it’s the discharge hose that’s leaking. I took a video of the dye test he did below. His quote is also below. What do you all think? I asked him where he gets the parts from, he said whoever has it available, so not sure. I also am sure I can do the refill but not sure if he will want to provide any warranty on his work at that point.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

· DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,872 Posts
...I also am sure I can do the refill but not sure if he will want to provide any warranty on his work at that point.
Do you have access to A/C machine? Unlike refill a sealed system, the whole system needs to be vacuumed out, there is no way you can do it without specialized equipment.
Total $425 seems quite reasonable for such a job. Shops often provide at least 3 months or 1 year warranty.

· DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,872 Posts
I was thinking of using something like this and get a can of Freon, you don’t think that would work?
o_O NO, just forget about it, unless you want to ruin your compressor.
Those are made for slight topping off (system has no obvious leaks), many people are against the use of these DIY stuff due to the inaccurate gauge and not being able to monitor the high pressure side.

You basically have a totally empty system, air/moisture are in the pipes. The system also needs proper amount/type of oil to lubricate the compressor. This type of job is for the shops, even for the most avid DIYers, because you need a machine like this:

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
o_O NO, just forget about it, unless you want to ruin your compressor.
Those are made for slight topping off (system has no obvious leaks), many people are against the use of these DIY stuff. You basically have a totally empty system, air/moisture are in the pipes. The system also needs oil to lubricate the compressor. This type of job is for the shops, even for the most avid DIYers, because you need a machine like this:
Thank you for the insight, didn’t realize it was that complicated. I may go with this shop. I just don’t know what brand hose they will use. Do you think it matters if it’s not OEM?

· Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,890 Posts
you can rent a manifold gauge set from Autozone and then get all you money back when you return it. That's the only way to verify you have the right amount of refrigerant in your system.
You could not possibly be more wrong. Pressure is not an accurate measure of refrigerant level no matter how you look at it.

The real "only way" is to evacuate the system and see how much comes out.

· Registered
7 Posts
You could not possibly be more wrong. Pressure is not an accurate measure of refrigerant level no matter how you look at it.

Using ambient temperature and low and high side pressures gives you a pretty accurate representation of how much is in the system. The honda manual even has charts/plots that states this. If you follow a chart like the one below, you'll be in good shape.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

A question here: if I have a huge leak, does this mean that the system has no Freon in it? Or is there residual Freon?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Using ambient temperature and low and high side pressures gives you a pretty accurate representation of how much is in the system. The honda manual even has charts/plots that states this. If you follow a chart like the one below, you'll be in good shape.

View attachment 544027
That’s what my buddy had used earlier when we tried to fill the system. It was about 72F that day and we looked up this table.

· Registered
1,890 Posts
If that's what you want to believe, go ahead. But pressure will never be accurate. You can have good pressures and be down more than half capacity. It has happened before.

· Registered
1,890 Posts
A question here: if I have a huge leak, does this mean that the system has no Freon in it? Or is there residual Freon?
If you have a leak you will leak out all of the refrigerant.

· Registered
79 Posts
I still kick myself in the butt for not buying one of those ac machines from my local auction house. It went for $10. But yeah you would need a vacuum pump, scale, empty tank, manifold gauges, flush the lines. There is a nameplate under the hood that states how many pounds of refrigerant belong in the system, but you would need a scale. All these things seperately would be way more that you bill from the ac shop. You would have to research,learn and train yourself how to do all this correctly. Like others have said, just let the shops do it. Hey if you want to learn how to do it yourself after that while your not dealing with a current problem with no rush to fix anything, the more the merrier. Apparently, a refrigerant license is one of the easier ones to obtain. Hell, get one for use on your homes ac as well. I think I am going to do this myself in the next year as a personal goal. But yeah, I wish you well.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you. I actually have an appointment with my own independent Honda shop next week, I’ll see what they say. They use OEM parts and said it’s on back order, with no timeline.

· Reverse Gear
1,186 Posts
I had a 2007 Accord that I accidentally overfilled with refrigerant. I took it to a local shop and he did an evac + recharge for $70. That was 2014. It shouldn’t cost double now? He literally spent 15 mins total on it. 5 to hook up the vacuum, 5 to take it off, 5 to fill it.

· DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,872 Posts
My shop found two large leaks, condenser area. It's over a thousand bucks. Needless to say it will wait until next summer.
"your" shop is probably full of BS. It's unlikely for the pipe to leak, which should require serious/obvious corrosion or damage. From the videos you posted, I suspect that you might have leaks from the Schrader valve, a <$5 part and takes minutes to replace.

Suddenly, they found 2 large leaks on the condenser. OK, a condenser is less than $100, no way it would jump from $350 to $1000+.

If I were you, I'd take good pictures of the leaking points. It's likely that you only need the new condenser/dryer and 2 Schrader valves. I'd DIY and find an A/C shop to do the refill. A shop should do such repair at reasonable cost.

I vaguely remember that I repaired the A/C of my 3rd gen, many years ago. They replaced the condenser and dryer, my A/C from non-working to bone cold at the cost of $250-ish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts