Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I traded my V6 sedan for a '14 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport (rwd).

It's completely unfair to compare the two cars, as they both target different buyers and different price points. What I came to realize though, was how much car for the money you get with the Honda.

I paid a bounty of $15,000 (over the cost of the Accord), to drive the Lexus off the lot. Here's what I didn't get: lane departure warning, front collision warning, a three-view backup camera, driver's seat memory, and the ability to lower windows/open sunroof from the key fob without a trip to the dealer to program the fob. Mileage isn't as good on the Lexus either, plus premium fuel is required. Obviously, Honda got a lot of things right. Why then, the change? One word: steering.

Honda's steering on the V6 Accord sedan is horrible (a much better rack is fitted to the 4 banger). Coupled with the 17" Michelin "Energy" tires, there is absolutely no feel and you have to make constant corrections to keep the car tracking straight on the freeway. I upgraded to 18" wheels and summer performance tires, which helped somewhat, but not enough to make me keep the car. To be fair, Honda's not alone in creating numb steering. Before going for the Lexus, I cross-shopped a 328i. A great car to be sure, but the numb steering and lack of feel on-center was a deal breaker. I opted for the Lexus, the ugliest car of the bunch (a car that looks as if Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder led the design team), due to its steering and overall handling/performance balance.

My final suggestions to Honda engineers with respect to the Accord V6 sedan: go back to basics and focus on driving dynamics. Other marques do EPS better--learn from them. Tweak the sway bars and suspension to diminish roll and understeer--the current V6 sedan rides firmly but with absolutely no handling benefit. Finally, please expand your blind spot monitoring to the driver's side, and make the LDW audible. With these few tweaks, Honda could make an already good car a great one.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Sorry to see you go, but thanks for the overview of the Lexus and your thoughts on the Accord. As you mentioned the Lexus is a completely different category car. I have never driven the V6 but the steering and handling on the I4 is very satisfactory in my opinion. The items that you mention that Honda could upgrade would be nice but at what price. The V6 Accord is already at the top of the mid size family car segment in price. Honda doesn't want Accords competing directly with Acuras. I was surprised that you were not pleased with the steering on the BMW, German engineering and all that stuff about ultimate driving machines. Obviously the higher initial cost and premium fuel make owning a Lexus a different experience from driving a Honda. I am sure you will enjoy the experience.

Good luck with your new Lexus.

·
13 Accord Coupe V6 Ex-L
194 Posts

It's completely unfair to compare the two cars, as they both target different buyers and different price points. What I came to realize though, was how much car for the money you get with the Honda.

I paid a bounty of $15,000 (over the cost of the Accord), to drive the Lexus off the lot. Here's what I didn't get: lane departure warning, front collision warning, a three-view backup camera, driver's seat memory, and the ability to lower windows/open sunroof from the key fob without a trip to the dealer to program the fob. Mileage isn't as good on the Lexus either, plus premium fuel is required. Obviously, Honda got a lot of things right. Why then, the change? One word: steering.

Honda's steering on the V6 Accord sedan is horrible (a much better rack is fitted to the 4 banger). Coupled with the 17" Michelin "Energy" tires, there is absolutely no feel and you have to make constant corrections to keep the car tracking straight on the freeway. I upgraded to 18" wheels and summer performance tires, which helped somewhat, but not enough to make me keep the car. To be fair, Honda's not alone in creating numb steering. Before going for the Lexus, I cross-shopped a 328i. A great car to be sure, but the numb steering and lack of feel on-center was a deal breaker. I opted for the Lexus, the ugliest car of the bunch (a car that looks as if Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder led the design team), due to its steering and overall handling/performance balance.

My final suggestions to Honda engineers with respect to the Accord V6 sedan: go back to basics and focus on driving dynamics. Other marques do EPS better--learn from them. Tweak the sway bars and suspension to diminish roll and understeer--the current V6 sedan rides firmly but with absolutely no handling benefit. Finally, please expand your blind spot monitoring to the driver's side, and make the LDW audible. With these few tweaks, Honda could make an already good car a great one.
im in the same boat, the steering feel is non existent. installed a RSB i got it aligned and balanced the wheels 2 days ago after 8months of ownership. i still find my self adjusting the wheel to keep it going straight. IDK the handling performance is not there, im thinking of traiding the car for something else just dont know what lol handling, performance is at the top of the list thats all i know.

·
Registered
175 Posts
congrats on the new lexus. before i bought my V6, i considered some of the older Lexus IS (08-09) ---budget wise but ended up with the accord. lets see some pictures? always loved the design of the IS but at times I felt tight in the cabin but handles very well.

also on curious note--how much did you get for trade in with how many miles on your accord?

·
Luv2Drum
119 Posts
Happy for you if that was your desire. Yet I must post that my V6 steering is spot on center. There is no off-variation happening at all.

I would've thought a Lexus of that caliber would have those said features you listed in your post.

Oh well enjoy.:D

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
im in the same boat, the steering feel is non existent. installed a RSB i got it aligned and balanced the wheels 2 days ago after 8months of ownership. i still find my self adjusting the wheel to keep it going straight. IDK the handling performance is not there, im thinking of traiding the car for something else just dont know what lol handling, performance is at the top of the list thats all i know.
Before buying the Accord did you take the car for a long test drive or two? When I test drove my Accord coupe the handling and steering where one of the first things I paid attention too while driving. The four things I paid attention to were engine power response, smoothness and the transmission plus the previous two items.

My car steers perfectly and will stay in the center of the lane with almost no attention. I hope you find a car that will meet your driving expectations and let us know your observations.

·
13 Accord Coupe V6 Ex-L
194 Posts
Before buying the Accord did you take the car for a long test drive or two? When I test drove my Accord coupe the handling and steering where one of the first things I paid attention too while driving. The four things I paid attention to were engine power response, smoothness and the transmission plus the previous two items.

My car steers perfectly and will stay in the center of the lane with almost no attention. I hope you find a car that will meet your driving expectations and let us know your observations.
yea i did a test drive 2 to be axact the 4cyl and 6cyl handling seem pretty good, the steering wheel doest feel as stiff as when i first got it.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Et tu, Brute... I mean, Uncle Spud? :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Regarding the new BMW 3 series, I have heard same. The New Generation 3 series traded in their legendary razor edged handling for more of a luxury cruiser. It's why I am not considering a new 3 or 4 series coupe to replace my E46 2006 330ci, plus close to $50k with similar equipment of EX-L. I'll be test driving the Accird coupe soon for a compare

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Regarding the new BMW 3 series, I have heard same. The New Generation 3 series traded in their legendary razor edged handling for more of a luxury cruiser. It's why I am not considering a new 3 or 4 series coupe to replace my E46 2006 330ci, plus close to $50k with similar equipment of EX-L. I'll be test driving the Accird coupe soon for a compare
Everyone has to determine for themselves if a car is worth the money. Personally, I can't see spending over $30,000 for any car. Unless I win the lottery which is very unlikely. The Accord EX-L coupe in my mind is a terrific buy and a fun car to drive.

·
3rd Pedal
36 Posts
Everyone has to determine for themselves if a car is worth the money. Personally, I can't see spending over $30,000 for any car.
I'm with you Flyboy. Not so much due to lack of lottery winnings per se, but more due to taking the enjoyment out of it with too much invested and having plenty of other interests. My wife on the otherhand wants ALL the amenities and is eyeing Acura/Lexus as her next car (SUV). Whatchagunnado?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I'm with you Flyboy. Not so much due to lack of lottery winnings per se, but more due to taking the enjoyment out of it with too much invested and having plenty of other interests. My wife on the otherhand wants ALL the amenities and is eyeing Acura/Lexus as her next car (SUV). Whatchagunnado?
My wife is the exact opposite. She is driving a 2007 Fit. She likes my Accord but she doesn't care about the bells and whistles.

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
I thought this car looked horrible when the first pictures came out, but in person, it looks absolutely gorgeous and not to mention the interior.

Congratulations on the upgrade!

·
Registered
21 Posts

You bought a honda and want great performance and complain the handling is not that of a higher end sports car. Lol.
I bought the honda for reliability, mpg, low cost maintenance and for the family. If you want to follow suit, I can hook you up with a real sports car like my weekend car. Vehicle Automotive design Automotive wheel system Asphalt Car