Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Reverse
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, but skulked around for quite awhile. This forum has been a great resource!

I’ve just clocked my first 1000 miles on the car, a V6 Coupe EX-L w/Nav. I test drove the I4 sedan and the V6 coupe back to back, both manuals. I traded in a ’12 Taurus SHO.

But a bit of comparing and contrasting is unavoidable! So here are my main takeaways:

---

So far I love the car. A blast to drive. No regrets (remember that when you get to the end).

The I4 sedan had plenty of power on the back roads IMO, but when you dip into the pedal on the highway there’s lots of sound and fury but not much else. Of course, I drove to the dealership in a car with 365 hp and a lower final drive than the lesser models. The Accord V6 doesn’t kick you in the rear the way the SHO did, but it didn’t embarrass itself either. So, while I don’t miss the 365 ponies in the SHO, the comparison put the I4 right out of the running. Many people won’t care but I do.

Maybe because the SHO blows in at some 6-700 lbs extra, the coupe felt plenty light around the corners. Hard to tell the difference between the 6 and the 4 on a short test drive. Both were way more fun than the Taurus.

Even with a shiny new engine, I’m averaging about 27 mpg, mostly highway of course. And that’s w/o cylinder deactivation. Downhill with a tailwind the Taurus struggled to return 21. Even more surprising considering the much lower rpms in the SHO at highway speeds.

Backup camera not a luxury on the Taurus- you need it. The system is even better on the Accord. I like the blind spot camera A LOT. As a motorcyclist, I wish all cars had them. The little yellow light on the SHO worked but was effectively invisible.

Lane Departure Warning- first thing I shut off, never to be seen again in my lifetime. So, you know, no problem.

Back seat- I’ve heard the Taurus has one, but I wouldn’t go back there if I were you.

Epic depreciation on the SHO. That said, looking to keep this one a lot longer. That’s what I told my wife anyway.

The seats are great. Hard and supportive, just like I like ‘em (I’m convinced the cushy SHO chairs gave me sciatica). Easy to dial in a perfect driving position. Couldn’t do that on the Taurus, even with electric pedals, fer crissakes.

Clocks on the Ford looked like they were designed in the ‘60s by a 10-year old. Truly. Yes, they were readable. Accord dials are also readable while satisfying my inner industrial designer.

---

On the minus side:

No cooled seats! No denying I’m going to miss that one. You can always warm a seat up with your keister, but you can’t cool it back down™.

Road noise- who said Honda fixed this in the 9th gen? Did they drive tractors to work? Were previous generations even worse?

Hands free telephone sounds like a kazoo. At both ends. Working a shifter while holding a phone so I can hear (and be heard) is a major disappointment and might kill me some day. Or worse, cause me to miss a shift.

Voice recognition? Really? Really?

The SHO had regular Ford SYNC. It worked okay. Now it seems like the pinnacle of human interface design. How can I say this? Nav in the Accord blows. Maybe mine’s broken. Too may laughable (sob-inducing) issues to list. But hey, I like adjusting the zoom level with the wheel. So there’s that. And there’s still paper maps and navigating by stars. How did Honda engineers let that steaming mess out the door? It’s dumber than a bagful of hammers, something I’m careful to keep out of reach when using the system.

Anywaaaay…this is where I realize I’ve said too much while being unwilling to delete my precious prose.

I do want to say that this forum has been enormously informative, so thanks to everyone for contributing. Looking forward to enjoying this great car, despite a few warts.

·
Elvira
3,586 Posts
You forgot to say Bwaahaaahaaaa!!! Snidely

Like you , I love this car warts and all. :thmsup:

Miker

·
Reverse
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Miker, you were smart enough to pass on the nav, so your car has fewer warts.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Road noise- who said Honda fixed this in the 9th gen? Did they drive tractors to work? Were previous generations even worse?
We call this "being one with the car."

I drive a 7th Gen (mostly) and I am usually screaming at passengers when I get above 40 mph. It's like a loud white noise on a turboprop airplane that lulls you to sleep. On the plus side, the glass is so thin that if little Timmy is trapped in the cave and Lassie is barking to free him- I can hear that first....while driving by the cave at 40mph.

The SHO was AWD, no?

Welcome to Drive Accord. Pics please or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We call this "being one with the car."

On the plus side, the glass is so thin that if little Timmy is trapped in the cave and Lassie is barking to free him- I can hear that first....while driving by the cave at 40mph.
Huh? - you lost me on this one. Are you referring to little-Timmy Leary maybe?

I rather enjoy the road noise in the Accord too. Everybody always complains about this and to me it's just a non-issue.

·
Reverse
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RikcBlaine-

Yeah, the SHO is AWD. I crossed this off the list of must-haves when I realized it only helps in acceleration in snow, not overall traction. I always buy a set of winter tires mounted on wheels, but FWIW, I drove on the OEM's in light snow today and they were pretty decent.

I'll post pics when car is no longer covered in white stuff, or I learn how to post, whichever comes last.

HRollerman-

I'm only bothered by the road noise insofar as it makes understanding me on the phone even harder. Luckily (or not) my wife is willing to give me the straight poop on phone sound quality. It's not a big deal, just not as quiet as the Taurus. On the other, other hand, I like to hear the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First time post, LONG TIME Accord owner and reader to this forum (love this forum) :banana:- 2006, 2009, 2011 and NEW 2014. All of my Accord Sedans have been EXL-V6s, all in the Gray (Honda's variation):lmao:

My NEW 2014 one now with 1000 miles has been amazing. I almost considered the Sport but after driving that rev happy model I know I would miss the V6.
Lots of HITS on this car, most certainly the smooth V6 as Honda does so well and this car moves compared to my others.

My misses -
-WTH did Honda do with the horn on the V-6 trim. First beeped, I stopped and popped the hood to make sure I was in a 6
-LDW light placement is silly and unnoticed, mine stays off as a result
-No adjustable center arm rest
-That STUPID convex left driver side mirror, when I am on it FAST and changing lanes its a distraction when cars are two lanes over half way seen in that mirror and at times I feel they are coming over
-No 18" wheel option, the only think I liked about the Sport for handling (I bet the Sport drivers would like keyless ignition too):yes:
-FOR ALL CARS, its time to NOT have our cars brought to the dealer for a software upgrade on the radios.

·
Reverse
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the Ecoboost really as fun as it looks?
Oh, yeah. Twin turbo-charged goodness. I once embarrassed a kid in his WRX who was trying to impress his girlfriend and cut me off at the same time. I waxed him, and didn't break a sweat. Not that I go in for that kind of thing, but I admit I got a little hooligan smile as I saw his open mouth in my rearview.

Don't be fooled. That thing goes like stink and takes a trained eye to spot. A sleeper sport sedan.

·
Registered
148 Posts
On the minus side:

No cooled seats! No denying I’m going to miss that one. You can always warm a seat up with your keister, but you can’t cool it back down™.

Hands free telephone sounds like a kazoo. At both ends. Working a shifter while holding a phone so I can hear (and be heard) is a major disappointment and might kill me some day. Or worse, cause me to miss a shift.

Voice recognition? Really? Really?

The SHO had regular Ford SYNC. It worked okay. Now it seems like the pinnacle of human interface design. How can I say this? Nav in the Accord blows. Maybe mine’s broken. Too may laughable (sob-inducing) issues to list. But hey, I like adjusting the zoom level with the wheel. So there’s that. And there’s still paper maps and navigating by stars. How did Honda engineers let that steaming mess out the door? It’s dumber than a bagful of hammers, something I’m careful to keep out of reach when using the system.

Anywaaaay…this is where I realize I’ve said too much while being unwilling to delete my precious prose.

I do want to say that this forum has been enormously informative, so thanks to everyone for contributing. Looking forward to enjoying this great car, despite a few warts.
I LOL'd at this section. These were good observations/comparisons and yes both the Voice Recognition and Nav suck although the Nav works fairly well once you figure out it's nuances and how to program it.

Welcome btw. :D Hopefully, you don't miss the SHO. They seem like great cars except that they've got quite a bit of heft.

·
Reverse
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I LOL'd at this section. These were good observations/comparisons and yes both the Voice Recognition and Nav suck although the Nav works fairly well once you figure out it's nuances and how to program it.

Welcome btw. :D Hopefully, you don't miss the SHO. They seem like great cars except that they've got quite a bit of heft.
Thanks. I don't think I'm going to miss it much. It was starting to behave strangely, too many bugs in all those computers. Sometimes the auto-dimming mirrors would mysteriously not work, or the cruise control would blink out, stuff like that. Of course, the Honda may be no better in that regard, too early to say.

Fact is, the Ford's a very different car so it's hard to compare. I wanted a powerful American car before they became extinct. Was it heavy? Yup. But also confidence inspiring on the road, believe it or not. Beautiful 20" wheels, pretty buttoned-down handling and gobs of torque.

And don't forget the power rear sunshade. That was pretty cool.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Huh? - you lost me on this one. Are you referring to little-Timmy Leary maybe?
No sir. "Being one with the car": Noise keeps you in touch with the car, the road, and how they are interacting. It is "feedback" for the driver.

"Little Timmy trapped in a cave" is a phrase people use when they want to make a joke about some dog barking and what it could possibly mean. As in, "What's that boy? Little Timmy is trapped in a cave?"

I hope this clarifies things for you.

·
Reverse
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Little Timmy trapped in a cave" is a phrase people use when they want to make a joke about some dog barking and what it could possibly mean. As in, "What's that boy? Little Timmy is trapped in a cave?"

I hope this clarifies things for you.
I think I know what you mean-

Ruff, ruff!

What's that you say Lassie? Timmie's trapped in a cave?

Ruff, ruff!

And he's standing on a land mine while holding a live grenade?

·
Registered
492 Posts
As for road noise it is a little louder than the current gen camry on rough pavement. Which is pretty quiet for an Accord also it is quieter than the camry on smooth newly paved road which is surprising.

Honda did an amazing job keeping a blend between comfort and feedback. Some say it is too soft for an accord but it seems about right for those coming from softer cars.

The great thing is its not harsh when comparing within the class. A little rougher on rough pavement and a little louder. If using a camry as benchmark for harshness and road noise.

Only thing it is lacking is a stock audio system that sounds decent.
Which seems to be due to Honda still in the classroom learning about mass production.
Toyota uses the same head unit across their line and it sounds decent compare to the Accord system.
But end users can fix audio systems and not inherent engineering so it is still good just that it could have been better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts