Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was going to post this in the lighting thread but it just has too many conversations going on. Anyways, here are a few questions I have for those of you with the Morimoto Elite System installed:

1. Do we need the individual Can-bus or the Heavy Relay? As far as I know, the 2013 Accord EXL- V6 Coupe does not monitor Light Outs so I would assume the relay stops any annoying light indicators.

2. Are the stock projectors good enough to clip the HID's from causing the glare/reflection that is terrible for oncoming drivers?

3. 35W vs. 50W - is that extra 20% brightness worth the 500ish hour loss on the bulb lifespan?

4. Any recommendations for Fog Lights that will match the 5000K HID Color?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Hey everyone,

I was going to post this in the lighting thread but it just has too many conversations going on. Anyways, here are a few questions I have for those of you with the Morimoto Elite System installed:

1. Do we need the individual Can-bus or the Heavy Relay? As far as I know, the 2013 Accord EXL- V6 Coupe does not monitor Light Outs so I would assume the relay stops any annoying light indicators.
No and No, FWIW I just LOVE (NOT!) the "Can-Bus" B.S., they are just high wattage resistors to add artificial loading to the circuitry, as for the "heavy duty relay harness", look for a thread about how bad an idea most of these relays are, that's not just my words, but also from user Markus here, who is a professional automotive lighting engineer who also condemns these relays which are often not weatherproof, creates a single point of failure, and are totally unnecessary in the first place because HID draws less current than the stock halogen bulbs......

2. Are the stock projectors good enough to clip the HID's from causing the glare/reflection that is terrible for oncoming drivers?

3. 35W vs. 50W - is that extra 20% brightness worth the 500ish hour loss on the bulb lifespan?
35W HID is more than enough, unless your vision is approaching that of a bat, in which case you shouldn't be driving anyway. 50W HID will wash out and cast far more light than any responsible car owner would put in his/her car

·
Registered
54 Posts
I order another 9006 to H11 adapter from them, the factory h11 connector to the adapter and the 9006 end connect to the ballast (it came with one with the kit).

4. Any recommendations for Fog Lights that will match the 5000K HID Color?
you can order another HID set for the fog lights too.. =)

Just make sure you order the H11B XB35!

E

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No and No, FWIW I just LOVE (NOT!) the "Can-Bus" B.S., they are just high wattage resistors to add artificial loading to the circuitry, as for the "heavy duty relay harness", look for a thread about how bad an idea most of these relays are, that's not just my words, but also from user Markus here, who is a professional automotive lighting engineer who also condemns these relays which are often not weatherproof, creates a single point of failure, and are totally unnecessary in the first place because HID draws less current than the stock halogen bulbs......

35W HID is more than enough, unless your vision is approaching that of a bat, in which case you shouldn't be driving anyway. 50W HID will wash out and cast far more light than any responsible car owner would put in his/her car

At the same time, the price includes one or the other. So if you had to choose one, you would go with the Canbus Resistor?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I order another 9006 to H11 adapter from them, the factory h11 connector to the adapter and the 9006 end connect to the ballast (it came with one with the kit).
Why would you need a 9006-H11 adapter? The bulbs should just plug right into ballasts, assuming you have the correct ballast with AMP plugs, which, almost all aftermarket ones (including the Morimoto's) do. If you're talking about an OEM ballast or any that have D2 plugs (which, is not what the OP is planning on getting, correct me if I'm wrong), then that is a different story.

E
The fogs take H8 bulbs, not H11 like the low beams. ;)

OP,

You may be better served with Hoen Xenomatch bulbs instead:

http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog.htm

They are halogen bulbs that actually do come very close to matching the 5000K color. You can Google some of the output pics to confirm.

The benefit of going with a halogen bulb, in general, for fogs is that:

1. You don't need to deal with another set of ballasts, which may or may not be a pain to replace and/or troubleshoot if things go wrong.
2. The stock fog light housing does not really give much usable light as is. Sticking in an HID kit, especially a 5000K kit, will not only be a minuscule improvement, at best, but it will diminish your long distance vision due to increased foreground lighting. Considering you are adding H11 HIDs into the low beams, which already add a considerable amount of foreground light, it will only compound the problem even moreso.
3. Contrary to what others may say, you lessen the risk of blinding others on the road since the fogs do not have projectors - only reflectors.

Besides, the fogs should only ever be turned on in... foggy weather conditions! :paranoid: Turning them on on a normal clear night makes no difference, and goes back still to point #2 above where the extra foreground light will not help your long distance vision. What's the best way to know if it's an opportune time to turn them on? If you can't see the lines on the road, while driving ~25 mph or slower, then that is the perfect time to light them up. :thmsup:

Now, with all that said, if I may suggest, I would opt for the Hoen Endurance bulbs instead to give you the yellow lighting that will actually make a difference in foggy/poor weather conditions. If used properly, meaning turning them on under the right conditions, these bulbs should last for years, and maybe even long enough that you can use them in your next car (assuming they also fit H8's).

However, if your primary concern is just for aesthetics, LED bulbs from eBay will do the trick. Typically, they are relatively cheap, easily accessible, and the light output will do nothing to help nor hinder your night time vision. ;)

At the same time, the price includes one or the other. So if you had to choose one, you would go with the Canbus Resistor?
I would pick the Canbus. Their relays are very poor in quality. At least with the Canbus, you can give it to friends or family members who drive BMW's, as an example, that would otherwise throw dashboard errors without it after installing an aftermarket HID kit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why would you need a 9006-H11 adapter? The bulbs should just plug right into ballasts, assuming you have the correct ballast with AMP plugs, which, almost all aftermarket ones (including the Morimoto's) do. If you're talking about an OEM ballast or any that have D2 plugs (which, is not what the OP is planning on getting, correct me if I'm wrong), then that is a different story.
The morimoto ballast end is a 9006 connector.

The fogs take H8 bulbs, not H11 like the low beams. ;)
I should say for the headlight, make sure pick up a set of XB35.

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Right, but what I mean is that the connectors (both AMP and 9006) on these ballasts:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=21742

And these bulbs:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=4121

Or these:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=40570

Should just connect together without any need for an adapter. Which adapter did you have to order?
The factory harness has the H11 connectors, the ballast has the 9006 connector. The kit comes with One H11 to 9006 adapter. Since I don't want to run the relay, I order another h11 to 9006 adapter. The ballast on each side is connected to the 9006 to h11 adapter, the h11 end of the adapter is connected the factory harness.

E

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
The factory harness has the H11 connectors, the ballast has the 9006 connector. The kit comes with One H11 to 9006 adapter. Since I don't want to run the relay, I order another h11 to 9006 adapter. The ballast on each side is connected to the 9006 to h11 adapter, the h11 end of the adapter is connected the factory harness.
E
Smart move!! :thmsup:

·
Registered
336 Posts

E
Lol, sorry, I'm an idiot - I understand what you are saying now. That cup of coffee finally kicked in. :naughty:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd recommend waiting a couple weeks before ordering the kit from TRS. They are working on sorting out ballast issues and should be shipping the new ones shortly. I ordered back in November and received a pair of faulty ballasts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Smart move!! :thmsup:
Funny part was when I called TRS to order the 2nd adapter, TRS said "you should use the relay, blah blah blah.." Running and make those cables neat and clean will take me at least 30+ mins. An other adapter may take 1 min. Trying to troubleshoot any problem related to the HID kit without the relay. That is so much easier.

E

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
I bought the "All Star Kit" mentioned elsewhere on this site, with the Zenex Ballasts. Have a snafu with my XB35 bulbs coming from the seller but I am hoping the Zenex work well. A MUCH better value than Morimoto ballasts.....like $16 each ballast! They feel heavy and real and substantial and have good ratings on the thread

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

E
Where did you find the 9006 to H11 Adapter? I have not found one on their site.

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
Relay harnesses are a very hot topic. As an electrical engineer myself as well as working in the field, relays when done properly, are a good option. In the case of HID relay harnesses, they are almost required with higher wattage ballasts or older cars with old wiring.

For Low power ballasts, unless it's a crappy build ballast, chances are a decent 35 W ballast shouldn't draw more then 5 A on initial start-up (that's 60 W) which is less then a halogen low beam.

So while other users are right in saying relay harnesses can create an extra point of failure, they can also take away the ballast's load from the stock wiring and take it directly from the battery. I've never seen a good harness fail, but I've seen many cheap eBay harnesses fail hard. By cheap I mean anything less than $30 because there is no way you are getting a good relay, socket, fuse holder, and decent connections and workmanship for less than that.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I use the relay harness from TRS, came with the 35w kit. I use it to be on the safe side, even though there's no report that I know of, of HID kit killing the stock wiring. The TRS harness is definitely way better the one on eBay for $10. I had it on my old car and the fuse and fuse holder burned/melted. and the harness, metal parts, is more exposed to the environment. my .02

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use the relay harness from TRS, came with the 35w kit. I use it to be on the safe side, even though there's no report that I know of, of HID kit killing the stock wiring. The TRS harness is definitely way better the one on eBay for $10. I had it on my old car and the fuse and fuse holder burned/melted. and the harness, metal parts, is more exposed to the environment. my .02
Read this Thread about Relay Harnesses

No need to use the harness.

Just received email from TRS that they have received revised ballasts and will be shipping shortly. Although TRS kits are a little more expensive, their customer service is great, and a 5 year warranty on a HID kit is pretty nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts