Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do the v-6 upgrade asap... these tiny batteries they put in the I-4 just don't cut it in 3 degree weather.....:furious:

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Sorry to hear...did you get it started?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear...did you get it started?
Well this is the second time today... this morning luckily the GF had not left for work yet so I just pulled her car up next to mine and jumped it then just went to go grab some lunch and no start again I'm just going to wait till its time to go home and have someone jump it again.

Its just more aggravating than anything and compared to the V-6 bat we save like what maybe 10 pounds I just don't see why honda would put such a tiny battery in and not jsut use the same one in the V-6 models.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I hear ya im near Cincinnati, mine sits out during the day (garage at night) and I swear one of these times it wont have enough to start. My battery is only one year old! I try to shut everything down before I start it (radio, fan, etc.)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya im near Cincinnati, mine sits out during the day (garage at night) and I swear one of these times it wont have enough to start. My battery is only one year old! I try to shut everything down before I start it (radio, fan, etc.)
I know I even try to turn everything off before I shut the car down.... Still no luck.

It had to have costed Honda more money to put two different batteries in the same car.... 2 different wiring harnesses two different trays two different hold down straps..... im sure there are more just not clear to me why they would do that.I'

·
I love plastidip
230 Posts
I just went out to run it so I wouldn't have this probably. It barely pulled through.

Last time the temps were like this a couple weeks ago I totally didn't even think about it and my car sat outside for more than 2 days. It did not start and I was late for work. Then after the fact, I realized we had a battery charger in the basement. I was a little upset.

But now I have been trying to run it at least once a day, especially now that it's cold. Doing okay so far. I have heard mixed reviews about v6 battery. I was looking into and just stopped. People made it sound like it was just better to buy a different battery vs. doing v6 upgrade.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just went out to run it so I wouldn't have this probably. It barely pulled through.

Last time the temps were like this a couple weeks ago I totally didn't even think about it and my car sat outside for more than 2 days. It did not start and I was late for work. Then after the fact, I realized we had a battery charger in the basement. I was a little upset.

But now I have been trying to run it at least once a day, especially now that it's cold. Doing okay so far. I have heard mixed reviews about v6 battery. I was looking into and just stopped. People made it sound like it was just better to buy a different battery vs. doing v6 upgrade.

I just don't know I hate having issues with starting/reliability thats the whole reason I stopped buying 500 beaters and running them into the ground.

I have also thought about just hooking up another battery in my trunk like some jeep guys do.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Are you on your original Honda battery?!?!

When you upgrade from the 51R to a larger battery all you need is a thicker negative cable (lower gauge). Honda sells theirs for $12.

If you remove the black plastic battery cover and battery tray (neither are needed) you can purchase a 24F sized battery (700-800 CCA) and tighten it down. Problem solved.....for 2-5 years......

DO NOT place a battery in your trunk without proper ventilation. Hydrogen gas can really damage your lungs.

....and you know, the Honda V6 battery eventually dies too....it's just a battery.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you want something simpler than the V6 upgrade, try an Everstart Maxx or Kirkland (Costco) battery made by Johnson Controls. I've got one in my current 03, and previously I put an Everstart Maxx into the 2000 Accord I had. In both cases these batteries cranked better than the OEM Honda battery, even when it was new. The Everstart Maxx cranked the 2000 Accord over in 2-3 cranks every time, even after a couple of years. The Kirkland battery in my 03 is nearly new, but I'm expecting similarly good performance out of it with time.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
We've done this dance too many times:

Exide, East Penn, and Johnson Controls make about 99% of the batteries we buy. Sellers just slap their labels on them....A "Costco" battery is no better or worse than other batteries built by Johnson Controls.

The days of 8-10 year batteries are over. My 4.5 year old Walmart 51R made by Exide is still going strong.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
V6 or i4.... Pay attention to the CCA (cold cranking amps) when buying a battery. The ones with high CCA are the ones that will power through in really cold weather.

·
Registered
575 Posts
We've done this dance too many times:

Exide, East Penn, and Johnson Controls make about 99% of the batteries we buy. Sellers just slap their labels on them....A "Costco" battery is no better or worse than other batteries built by Johnson Controls.

The days of 8-10 year batteries are over. My 4.5 year old Walmart 51R made by Exide is still going strong.
I was just giving a couple of examples of JC-made batteries, which IMO are a good option if OP doesn't want to do the V6 battery swap. All of Costco's batteries are made by JC, along with Interstate, Duralast, and many of Walmart's Everstart Maxx batteries. We've had quite a few days of sub-zero temperatures this winter and my Accord has never failed to start on the Kirkland battery that I put in (rated for 500 CCA at 0F, and 625 CCA at 32F). Even in near-zero or below-zero temperatures, it starts up within 5 cranks every time.

You are right that a Costco battery is probably the same compared to most other JC-made batteries, but I'd take a JC-made battery over an Exide any day, given the many more complaints about Exide batteries online. Do a bit of searching online and you'll find that there are many fewer complaints about JC batteries comapared to Exide or Delphi. That's not to say that you can't have a good experience with an Exide battery (as you obviously have), but generally, Exide batteries are not as good in terms of quality. Consumer Reports' battery reviews also consistently put JC-made batteries like the Everstart Maxx and Kirkland Signature near the top.

Besides, if Exide was doing well, they wouldn't have filed for bankruptcy ;)
http://seekingalpha.com/article/150...ition-bolstered-as-exide-files-for-bankruptcy

Oh, and an interesting tidbit for those who are mad at Honda for putting a small 51R battery into the I4 Accord. Guess what other car uses the same size battery? A 500+ HP, twin turbo Nissan GT-R.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
@03EX:

Don't believe everything you read. Exide took a huge financial hit because of where they recycle their lead. Johnson Controls uses plants in Mexico- where regulations are lax, while Exide had a major recycling center in California which was hit with all sorts of new regulations, etc. Lobbyists for JC made sure to make the right political contributions to the right legislators in California to bring up the issue of Exide's recycling. All legal doings, by the way.

Consumer Reports consistently puts EVERYONE as highly rated. Walmart has all three manufacturers make batteries for them. It all depends on the group size....and the year. My Walmart 51R battery was made by Exide and was rated high by Consumer Reports. The 51R made by Johnson Controls for Walmart? Not so.

I've had batteries from all 3 major manufacturers and I cannot pick one manufacturer over another....period.

...and don't even get me started on Optima batteries (now owned by Johnson Controls and run into the ground because of the lower quality lead now used).

Very interesting about the Nissan....at the Chicago Auto Show I will have a look-see.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Oh, and an interesting tidbit for those who are mad at Honda for putting a small 51R battery into the I4 Accord. Guess what other car uses the same size battery? A 500+ HP, twin turbo Nissan GT-R.
Yea, but who is driving a GT-R in the winter or letting it sit out in the cold?

·
Banned
13,100 Posts

I saw five of them two weeks ago at the West Palm Beach, Florida car show. It was winter there....locals were complaining of having to wear long pants in the 68 degree evenings......the horror.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
A couple rich kids in my area have GTR's they drive year round. There's something sexy about one of them covered in salt.

·
Registered
280 Posts
bnasty, I'm in the same city. Trust me I replaced mine last year and guess what still a struggle. But that is the least of my issues. I was hit this past weekend and lets just say we are not sure who is covering the other driver. I want to return the battery I bought and put the credit to the V6 battery.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I saw five of them two weeks ago at the West Palm Beach, Florida car show. It was winter there....locals were complaining of having to wear long pants in the 68 degree evenings......the horror.
i was at walmart the other day and to my freaking suprise a gtr in the parking lot... but get this.. HANDICAPPED PLATES.. are you S**Ting me... yes i need to park right next to the entrance but i can drive a 500hp car.... :paranoid:

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
Honestly, I did this upgrade before the winter, and I really don't see that much of a difference in starting it in the cold weather. Now i'm not at 3 degrees, but I have had to start it around 10 a couple mornings. Even then, it's still pretty sluggish starting, i'm wondering if there are other upgrades that need to be done :dunno:.

·
07 I4 MT coupe
198 Posts
I honestly cant fault someone for driving an expensive car in non perfect conditions. I would rather see it rusted out at 200K miles than see it perfect in someone's garage with 100 miles and know it will never be used.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts