Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two months ago I got my 2013 accord coupe exl v6. Weeks after I was on the highway and a dump truck spillt gravel all over the road I could do nothing to avoid a peice gouged my hood. Totally unrelated to that I had some micro scratches occur with regular washing. So I wanted to fix the scratches went to autozone asked what to fix it with ,he went out to look at the car and said to get swirl remover. So I used it as directed and then used a polishing wax to shine it up , keep in mind this is all things he told me to use.two weeks later after a few washes the whole damn car is covered in micro scratches...today I got estimates $270 to buff it new and $600 to sand and repaint the hood keep in mind it was a deep gauge... pulling in the garage on my way home from the estimate I hit this damn wooden box in my garage and scratched about a five inch tall inch wide imprint of the wood on the bumper and also chipped about a 1x1 inch square area at the bottom, talk about luck... :headbash:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Two months ago I got my 2013 accord coupe exl v6. Weeks after I was onthe highway and a dump truck spillt gravel allover the road I could do nothing to avoid a peice gouge my hood. Totally unrelated to that I had some micro scratches occur with regular washing. So I wanted to fix the scratches went to autozone asked what to fix it with ,he went out to look at the car and said to get swirl remover. So I used it as directed and then used a polishing wax to shine it up , keep in mind this is all things he told me to use.two weeks later after a few washes the whole damn car is covered in micro scratches...today I got estimates $270 to buff it new and $600 to sand and repaint the hood keep in mind it was a deep gauge... pulling in the garage on my way home from the estimate I hit this damn wooden box in my garage and scratched about a five inch tall inch wide imprint of the wood on the bumper and also chipped about a 1x1 inch square area at the bottom, talk about luck... : headbash:
Yikes dude. Park that thing in a glass bubble and don't touch! Fortunately it's all repairable, but annoying nonetheless.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
Damn...that's bad lol

·
Banned
113 Posts
Damn...that's bad lol
I may be 17 but I payed the upgrade to the v6 from the I4 2k of my own cash. Two years ago I barley bumped my dads Porsche bumper on this rack in the garage and payed 1k (less than half of the bill) half a summer of work but that was just me being a total *****. This time I feel like I didn't do anything stupid it's just my luck. This is looking like a $1200 dollar trip to get all of it fixed including what I just did. That's a lot of goodcents sandwihes my friend.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. Some things are unfortunate, some are teachable moments.

You may be 17 but you must learn to question things. The dude at Autozone is not your friend. Search for member "glen e" here on the board. He is an expert at taking care of our cars. In his signature is the proper way to care for your beast's finish. Follow his directions, and ask away- he is a nice guy.

This is why when my niece turned 17 I gave her a 7th Gen for college- scratches and all. Cars are depreciating assets. Don't get too worked up about it.

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. Some things are unfortunate, some are teachable moments.

You may be 17 but you must learn to question things. The dude at Autozone is not your friend. Search for member "glen e" here on the board. He is an expert at taking care of our cars. In his signature is the proper way to care for your beast's finish. Follow his directions, and ask away- he is a nice guy.

This is why when my niece turned 17 I gave her a 7th Gen for college- scratches and all. Cars are depreciating assets. Don't get too worked up about it.
Thanks for the info. I dont understand why someone would blatanly mislead me into ****ing up my own car.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Never trust people who works at pep boys, autozone, napa, oriellys, ect. Lesson learned. Go to detailing forums, you'll learn a lot.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
You will learn, as most of us do, that just because someone speaks "with confidence" he may be believing it, but can still be wrong. I learned that sometimes it is best to ask for different opinions and don't pull the trigger right away.

I was in Japan and apparently they can't simply tell you "NO"- as that is very rude. So whatever you ask, they will say "yes", even if it is not possible. The trick is picking up the very subtle ways they say "yes". Some of those are just outright "NO's".

But this is all fixable- and you have a black Accord. NOTHING looks better than a 9th Gen black Accord all dolled up with glen e's advice. Nothing....

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will learn, as most of us do, that just because someone speaks "with confidence" he may be believing it, but can still be wrong. I learned that sometimes it is best to ask for different opinions and don't pull the trigger right away.

I was in Japan and apparently they can't simply tell you "NO"- as that is very rude. So whatever you ask, they will say "yes", even if it is not possible. The trick is picking up the very subtle ways they say "yes". Some of those are just outright "NO's".

But this is all fixable- and you have a black Accord. NOTHING looks better than a 9th Gen black Accord all dolled up with glen e's advice. Nothing....
Hahaha love your advice! Yeah it is a pretty mean car!

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
Thanks for the info. I dont understand why someone would blatanly mislead me into ****ing up my own car.
I doubt he blatantly mislead you on purpose, it's his lack of knowledge on the particular subject of taking car of the car's paint and detailing. Conceptually he was on point as are many amateur detailers, it's just how you go about the process of detailing that makes the difference. It's likely that he was just recommending the wrong methods, but his intention was there.

Just know that autozone isn't always the best place to go for car needs, it's adequate for general parts and stuff, but I would rarely use products they sell on my car now. Autopia is a pretty good place for car detailing products and information.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Two months ago I got my 2013 accord coupe exl v6. Weeks after I was on the highway and a dump truck spillt gravel all over the road I could do nothing to avoid a peice gouged my hood. Totally unrelated to that I had some micro scratches occur with regular washing. So I wanted to fix the scratches went to autozone asked what to fix it with ,he went out to look at the car and said to get swirl remover. So I used it as directed and then used a polishing wax to shine it up , keep in mind this is all things he told me to use.two weeks later after a few washes the whole damn car is covered in micro scratches...today I got estimates $270 to buff it new and $600 to sand and repaint the hood keep in mind it was a deep gauge... pulling in the garage on my way home from the estimate I hit this damn wooden box in my garage and scratched about a five inch tall inch wide imprint of the wood on the bumper and also chipped about a 1x1 inch square area at the bottom, talk about luck... :headbash:
Wow..my sport is black. I work in construction and my car is my daily driver..I'm goin nuts trying too keep this car clean and blemish free..everyday when i go too leave work. My car is covered head too toe in a half inch thick dust and dirt lol..everyone suggested too me that i should have gotten modern steel..because of my line of work..if honda wasn't so pig headed..I would have got white(even tho ppl say white needs a lot of car too) or silver..but I had too have a 6MT:biggrin:..I'm done stressing over it..it's too late...I have the car already. Jus repair it and keep it moving.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
I may be 17 but I payed the upgrade to the v6 from the I4 2k of my own cash. Two years ago I barley bumped my dads Porsche bumper on this rack in the garage and payed 1k (less than half of the bill) half a summer of work but that was just me being a total asshat. This time I feel like I didn't do anything stupid it's just my luck. This is looking like a $1200 dollar trip to get all of it fixed including what I just did. That's a lot of goodcents sandwihes my friend.
Not sure if that's true, unless the wooden box in the garage jumped in front of your car without warning. Perhaps the rack and wooden box are acting in cahoots to bankrupt you. :)

Sorry about the damage, but it is fixable. I do commend you for learning how to drive stick - most folks today don't bother to.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
I have learned to do all my research on the internet and when I go to buy something, I ask the sales clerk question solely for entertainment value.

When you know your stuff up front, it's hard to keep your composure when listening to the stuff a sales clerk will tell you.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
I may be 17 but I payed the upgrade to the v6 from the I4 2k of my own cash. Two years ago I barley bumped my dads Porsche bumper on this rack in the garage and payed 1k (less than half of the bill) half a summer of work but that was just me being a total *****. This time I feel like I didn't do anything stupid it's just my luck. This is looking like a $1200 dollar trip to get all of it fixed including what I just did. That's a lot of goodcents sandwihes my friend.
the problem is these kinds of things will likely happen again, so are you willing to shovel over $1200 every time you collect a few of the inevitable nicks or scratches? my view is it's just a Honda, it's a mass market commute car, not a show car, so why get into the ever losing battle of trying to keep it pristine when next week some dork at the shopping center is gonna open their door into the side of your car and voila!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I always park at the end of rows in parking lots or NEXT TO the cart corrals. Failing that, I angle my car in so that the driver's door of the car on my right has a little more room to open.

These tactics (and $1,500) worth of XPel Ultimate Paint Protection Film on the car kept things blemish-free for seven months! Something tiny fell off the side of a covered car-transporter (probably carrying BMWs or Benzes) and nicked my left-rear door a couple weeks ago; I heard it hit, thought "oh $hit," but forgot about it until that evening when I was hand-washing the car. Should be able to carefully take care of it with some touch-up paint and clearcoat; actually, the paint layer may not be completely busted--I just haven't had a chance to fool around with stuff yet. I've got some Langka stuff, but some of the chemicals have actually evaporated over time, and Dr. Colorchip stuff would leave too much of a messy look for this situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts