Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have 70% oil life, but the A17 code is on the display under the oil life, presumably indicating that this will be the next recommended service. The "7" indicates that I should replace my brake fluid. I understand that brake fluid replacement is based on time and is hygroscopic, but I've never replaced it sooner than 4 years. My car has been on the road for 25 months and has a whopping 11k miles.

I guess my question is: Any repercussions if I just ignore this recommendation for the money-grabbing drivel that it is? Of course, I will still do the required oil change and tire rotation. I'm only planning to keep the car for another year, so I can't imagine that it is worth it to flush practically new brake fluid.

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just got the 7 code for the first time last week... 27 months and 26K miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
A7 is a time based code and is based roughly on brake fluid fill when the vehicle left the factory. Check your VIN for build date, you're likely getting the "2 to 3 year from last fill" code. Barring A7 ever appearing you're supposed to change it every 3 years, regardless.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The A17 reminder showed up on my car at around 26 months and 37K miles. I had the dealership change the brake fluid along with the oil and filter. My service advisor wasn't pushy about the brake fluid and did say that I could hold off changing it for a bit longer, but I asked to get it done anyway. Like it was already mentioned, I believe Honda has traditionally recommended a 3 year interval for replacing the brake fluid. So that might be a good general rule of thumb to follow.

My plan is to keep the car for a long time. If you know for sure that you'll be keeping yours for only another year, I don't think I'd bother with the brake fluid service if I were in your situation.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I still have 70% oil life, but the A17 code is on the display under the oil life, presumably indicating that this will be the next recommended service. The "7" indicates that I should replace my brake fluid. I understand that brake fluid replacement is based on time and is hygroscopic, but I've never replaced it sooner than 4 years. My car has been on the road for 25 months and has a whopping 11k miles.

I guess my question is: Any repercussions if I just ignore this recommendation for the money-grabbing drivel that it is? Of course, I will still do the required oil change and tire rotation. I'm only planning to keep the car for another year, so I can't imagine that it is worth it to flush practically new brake fluid.
I wouldn't bother. On my last Accord I didn't do the brake fluid for 7 years and 100,000 km. No issues at all.

On that note: how does the brake fluid get exposed to air/moisture in the first place?

·
Corvalis TTX
5,558 Posts
I wouldn't bother. On my last Accord I didn't do the brake fluid for 7 years and 100,000 km. No issues at all.

On that note: how does the brake fluid get exposed to air/moisture in the first place?

Also moisture can get in through the plastic reservoir and its cap.

You say no issues at all with your old car. Did you inspect the interior of the brake lines for corrosion and pitting? I would not take your recommendation seriously, sorry.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
^I wasn't recommending that he go 7 years. I was saying don't hew to the 3 year recommendation dogmatically.

I'm only planning to keep the car for another year, so I can't imagine that it is worth it to flush practically new brake fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts