Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was listening to a discussion that one of my coworkers was having with my boss about engines. Long story short, I realized that I almost no nothing about my engine bay. The part of the conversation that got me though was the exhaust headers. I have seen this countless times in mod lists, but I have NO idea what this does except for it's the first place exhaust gases go after being fired out of the pistons.

Can the v6 headers be upgraded to improve performance? If so, how and can I do it myself? I am not looking for a ricer, as many of you may know I would like to keep my car very clean. I know that the i4 guys have the TSX manifold swap they can do which we cannot on our v6. Is this basically the same equivalent?

Is our v6 engine pretty much tuned for max power at the 244hp level?

Also, if anyone has a good, labeled diagram of our engine, that would be awesome. I can't find a decent one through searches. Only unlabeled.

Thanks DA!

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
The J30's do not have "headers" as most cars do. The "headers" are cast into the cylinder head. These "headers" go to the precats. The only thing that would be similar to a header upgrade would be pre cat deletes or high flow precats.

The TSX manifold is an intake manifold, whereas headers are exhaust related. There is the J35/J37 magnesium intake manifold swap that can be done on the J30 (I will be doing said swap this summer) which would essentially be the same.

Our J30 is pretty much "tuned for max power" if you mean in totally stock form. I know plenty of guys over at V6P are approaching 300whp being naturally aspirated.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The J30's do not have "headers" as most cars do. The "headers" are cast into the cylinder head. These "headers" go to the precats. The only thing that would be similar to a header upgrade would be pre cat deletes or high flow precats.

The TSX manifold is an intake manifold, whereas headers are exhaust related. There is the J35/J37 magnesium intake manifold swap that can be done on the J30 (I will be doing said swap this summer) which would essentially be the same.

Our J30 is pretty much "tuned for max power" if you mean in totally stock form. I know plenty of guys over at V6P are approaching 300whp being naturally aspirated.
More of the n00bishness here.. What is meant by "naturally aspirated?"

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. That's what all of our engines do.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
That's what all of our engines do.
Unless you have a turbo/supercharger or another form of forced induction, your engine is naturally aspirated.

What do you mean by engine diagram in the original post? I could probably get one...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
It might be overkill but I think this might help you out.
Perks of working for Honda... :D

Attachments

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Ricardo, I am so proud of you. Now you will truly appreciate all cars, especially how sweet of a motor you have in your Accord.

To confuse you and allow you to do even more research: Honda is still using the J series motor, which is SOHC (Single OverHead Camshaft) while almost every competitor uses a DOHC (Dual Overhead Camshaft) head setup. Honda still sets benchmarks for power, torque, reliability, efficiency, NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness), etc. with the J series motor. Ward's just named it one of the top motors of 2013! While researching the benefits of a DOHC engine you will come to love your J series. It's ok, go give it a hug.

Also, now you get to really learn about things like VTEC, how some Honda motors only have VTEC on the intake ports (our K24's) vs. VTEC on intake and exhaust ports (Civic Si K20's).

Go, young Padawan, go and learn the Force!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It might be overkill but I think this might help you out.
Perks of working for Honda... :D
That is PERFECT! Thanks man, that is awesome!

Ricardo, I am so proud of you. Now you will truly appreciate all cars, especially how sweet of a motor you have in your Accord.

To confuse you and allow you to do even more research: Honda is still using the J series motor, which is SOHC (Single OverHead Camshaft) while almost every competitor uses a DOHC (Dual Overhead Camshaft) head setup. Honda still sets benchmarks for power, torque, reliability, efficiency, NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness), etc. with the J series motor. Ward's just named it one of the top motors of 2013! While researching the benefits of a DOHC engine you will come to love your J series. It's ok, go give it a hug.

Also, now you get to really learn about things like VTEC, how some Honda motors only have VTEC on the intake ports (our K24's) vs. VTEC on intake and exhaust ports (Civic Si K20's).

Go, young Padawan, go and learn the Force!
I know about the VTEC and how it is activated depending on the oil pressure going through it... Right? l also learned about the difference between DOHC and SOHC like an hour ago actually!

I already love my J series.

Here is another question though, our air intake... From what I understand, our OEM intake is a modified CAI? Not sure how to word what I am thinking other then that. I don't really want to go CAI because of a less efficient cleaning. I also, don't feel like something like a CAI can be as much of an improvement as people say it is.

ALSO would like to point out that I Google image searched "1969 Camaro SS 350 4MT" straight from your signature, and get nothing but pictures of Honda Accords, and Honda related stuff, as well as a couple pictures of a Hyundai Sonata (Just for laughs :banana::thmsup: )

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
That is PERFECT! Thanks man, that is awesome!

I know about the VTEC and how it is activated depending on the oil pressure going through it... Right? l also learned about the difference between DOHC and SOHC like an hour ago actually!

I already love my J series.

Here is another question though, our air intake... From what I understand, our OEM intake is a modified CAI? Not sure how to word what I am thinking other then that. I don't really want to go CAI because of a less efficient cleaning. I also, don't feel like something like a CAI can be as much of an improvement as people say it is.

ALSO would like to point out that I Google image searched "1969 Camaro SS 350 4MT" straight from your signature, and get nothing but pictures of Honda Accords, and Honda related stuff, as well as a couple pictures of a Hyundai Sonata (Just for laughs :banana::thmsup: )
There are great youtube videos of how VTEC works, it's easier to watch them than for me to explain.

Regarding CAI, you are correct in most aspects. Your stock airbox does pull in "cold air", meaning air that has not been heated by the engine bay. A short ram air intake (SRI) draws hot air directly into the engine. The aftermarket CAI mostly bring in cold air but introduce some other variables such as poor filtration, hydrolocking, bad air/fuel ratios, etc. Unless you are really chasing every HP or need the added sound, stay away and invest in things that will make your car more reliable or whatever drives you.

Haha, I googled that as well and you are correct, I can't believe it. Just to try and steer the google search to the correct area, look at the pictures of the Camaro in the link below.

http://s239.photobucket.com/user/laxman0324/library/69 Camaro

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are great youtube videos of how VTEC works, it's easier to watch them than for me to explain.

Regarding CAI, you are correct in most aspects. Your stock airbox does pull in "cold air", meaning air that has not been heated by the engine bay. A short ram air intake (SRI) draws hot air directly into the engine. The aftermarket CAI mostly bring in cold air but introduce some other variables such as poor filtration, hydrolocking, bad air/fuel ratios, etc. Unless you are really chasing every HP or need the added sound, stay away and invest in things that will make your car more reliable or whatever drives you.

Haha, I googled that as well and you are correct, I can't believe it. Just to try and steer the google search to the correct area, look at the pictures of the Camaro in the link below.

http://s239.photobucket.com/user/laxman0324/library/69 Camaro
Ya I'd rather just stick with my OEM filtering. I don't have a need for the sound as I love the way it sounds already.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Auto Guide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts