Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month my started to make a weird noise as I was driving home. It was around 10PM so too late to get it checked out by anyone I knew. Next day, driving to work, car starts smoking as I'm driving and I smell burnt rubber. I open the hood to see the drivetrain belt (?) had somehow snapped in got jammed and snapped in two pieces causing the smoke and sparks under the hood. I had the car towed to my local dealership where my brother is one of the service writers.

According to the mechanic, the AC condenser stopped working, which made the belt stop turning. My brother says he had never seen this on an almost brand new car, at this point I hadn't even had the car for a full year yet (2014 Accord LX Sedan). Of course, everything was covered under the warranty so thankfully it didn't damage my pocket, but now I'm worried.

Anyone else have an issue on this? Could the car be a lemon?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Haven't heard of the AC compressor failing so early, but doesn't mean anything. I wouldn't jump to the " OMG my car is a lemon!" conclusion after one isolated, covered under warranty, incident. It's fixed now, so just enjoy your car. Automobiles are complex machines and assembled by humans. Things happen and parts break.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds like something was defective. I'm not a detective but if you have something defective on your car, it's likely covered under warranty depending how much of the warranty is left. Take it to the stealership and give it a try....

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
An Airconditioning compressor is just a refrigerant pump that is driven my the engine through a belt. If the bearings or the pistons fail the compressor will seize and the belt will break. Defective compressors are rare but anything that's mechanical can fail early due to a defect in manufacturing or workmanship. That's why you have a new car bumper to bumper warrantee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts